Help with Merimbula

Davemmm

I am about to spend a week in Merimbula and would appreciate any advice that Raiders have to offer.

Boat ramps and any special problems I might encounter on the lake would help but your absolute best kept secret spot wouldnt hurt either.

Cheers

Dave

Looks like the silence is deafening :secret:

I've asked for the same sort of advice for both Narooma and Lake Macquarie lately and have not heard boo from anyone??? :1crybaby:

Um..... you joined us yesterday and are already complaining :1badmood: take Fezza's advice and do some searching for information. Members do not sit here all day to answer your questions. Contribute to the forum before you start complaining please.

mrsswordfisherman

I am about to spend a week in Merimbula and would appreciate any advice that Raiders have to offer.

Boat ramps and any special problems I might encounter on the lake would help but your absolute best kept secret spot wouldnt hurt either.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Sorry your post has had a hiccup - I am sure someone will be posting some info for you soon :biggrin2:

I haven't been to Merimbula for a few years but I used to go there quite regularly. Once you cross the main bridge there's a ramp next to it with plenty of parking. I used to launch a 4.5m boat from there with no problems.

Didn't fish the lake much but there are fish to be had on the river from the bridge to the mouth. I found that the dropping tide was good as all the fish would come off the flats opposite town; pulled some huge whiting from there. You can get worms/nippers/soldier crabs from the flats opposite the town and the flats near the game fishing club.

Offshore there are the usual suspects, flathead, and off Haycock point there are kings and sometimes snapper to be had. If you want to go outside I'd actually suggest launching from Tathra. Good ramp and very fishy offshore.

Shore fishing can be great here. If you travel up towards the wharf you can go to main beach which is where the river mouth is. At the mouth there can be some big bream and flatties; fish the run out tide in the afternoons when there is a bit of bump and cast towards the channel marker. At night on the rising tide this stretch of the river from the mouth to as far as you can walk can fire! The beach has a few rocky points and these can fish well for bream at night if you fish light and burley for them. No sinker light lines and fresh slimeys are the way to go. The downside is that there can be a lot of taylor, sometime pretty decent ones, in the river and ya get no chance with them. You can go though a lot of hooks.

But where there are taylor there can be jew. Along here is a very deep hole, 5+ metres, which can be worth a throw at night if it hasn't silted up. Lost a couple of jew here over the years when they got me wrapped around anchor chains; there's always a boat nearby when I hook up! But they can get into the shallows too. I lost a really nice jew that took a strip bait in 2 foot of water one night off this stretch (anchor chain again); one day I'll get one! Crabs can be a problem some years from here unless you like to eat them of course, in which case you'll be happy.

The wharf itself usually is too crowded to bother BUT there can be stacks of blackfish off it. Fish from 4.00pm to dark and about 8 to 10 foot down. You can usually get cabbage at short point for them. You can also pull bonito and kings, or at least try to land kings. Usually you'll loose them when they charge into the pylons.

Tura beach is good for salmon; Bournda for salmon/taylor/bream/jew at night. At both the Merimbula and Tathra wharfs there are usually gars and slimeys if you are early enough. But the crowds can suck big time.

It's a lovely part of the world and can be very fishy, even when it's quiet.

Cheers

Jiggy

Hi buddy.

I fish down in mirimbula all the time. I love it. As a matter of fact I will be their fishing on Monday. Skip mirimblua and go to pambula

lake. The boat ramp is better than mirimbula. And it's hidden. Heaps of people don't know it's their.

Ifish just did a show their.

Good and the bad.

Good. Top flatheads. Snapper. Salmon. Leather jackets. I use plastics but found the 6cm blades were unreal last time.

Bad. If you want to go off shore from hear the bar is shallow and I would only recomend not attempting on low tide for larger boats.

I have a 4.3m quintrex and it's fine. The bar is about 1m-1.5m at low tide.

Have a ball. It's one of my top spots south of nowra. Oh besides tuross heads.

Regards and best of luck

Don't know much aqbout Merimbula but we smacked 39 salmon in Pambula over 3.5 hours back in september throwing zipping ziggy poppers and using the bream gear...one of the best sessions of my life i reckon....also the racks produce some honking bream and whiting on the micro popper and work the drop offs for with pastics for flathead and trevally....that shold keep you busy for more than a week.

Thanks all for the replies theres some great info in there.

I will let you know how I go. Couldnt be much worse than up here I am really struggling with the Woronora (but the crabs are getting me through)

Dave