Botany Bay Friday Morning

jsab5558

Went out this morning wit three other mates in search for some surface activity early and anchoring up for some kingies later in the day. This seemed a sure bet from all the posts over the last week about the red hot activity in the bay!

On the water at 6 looking everywhere for birds and anything on the sounder, this lasted till about 9am and with no one wetting a line yet. It is getting a little frustrating. so we decide to anchor up at mollinex point with a few other boats and try our luck with the kings. For bait we had frozen gars, live yakkas, soft plastics and some chrome lures. The rest of the day looked promising with an early hook up on bonito :1fishing1: . How we were wrong :ranting2:

The next 2 hours was spent flicking plastics, un weighted and weighted yakkas and gars and the occasional spinning. Still zip, then a good run to what we thought was a kingy but at the surface we sen it was a salmon going 68cm. This got the mood on the boat again and everyone was keen to get a line in. The next two hours we had another two hook ups but both dropped at the boat one kingy and one salmon. That was enough for me and we alled in quits at about 130pm.

Im no expert in the bay more of a harbour fisherman, did anyone have luck out there today i saw a yellow twin hull boat clean up on kingys but couldnt see the bait they were using. I think im going to stick to the harbour just for now :biggrin2:

Went out this morning wit three other mates in search for some surface activity early and anchoring up for some kingies later in the day. This seemed a sure bet from all the posts over the last week about the red hot activity in the bay!

On the water at 6 looking everywhere for birds and anything on the sounder, this lasted till about 9am and with no one wetting a line yet. It is getting a little frustrating. so we decide to anchor up at mollinex point with a few other boats and try our luck with the kings. For bait we had frozen gars, live yakkas, soft plastics and some chrome lures. The rest of the day looked promising with an early hook up on bonito :1fishing1: . How we were wrong :ranting2:

The next 2 hours was spent flicking plastics, un weighted and weighted yakkas and gars and the occasional spinning. Still zip, then a good run to what we thought was a kingy but at the surface we sen it was a salmon going 68cm. This got the mood on the boat again and everyone was keen to get a line in. The next two hours we had another two hook ups but both dropped at the boat one kingy and one salmon. That was enough for me and we alled in quits at about 130pm.

Im no expert in the bay more of a harbour fisherman, did anyone have luck out there today i saw a yellow twin hull boat clean up on kingys but couldnt see the bait they were using. I think im going to stick to the harbour just for now :biggrin2:

Hi there Jas -

Bad luck on your kingy adventure today .. you did not land any because they were all swarming around my tinny ! 1prop.gif

I did a quick 2 hour session this morning on the Bay and also parked myself at Molli point.

Must say .. it was some of the best fishing I have encountered!! Ended up with 12 kingfish hookup and landed 8 of them... had double and triple hookups - landing 3 fish in 5 minutes at one stage! yahoo.gif

I was by myself so you can image what was going on in my head and in the boat !!! biggrin2.gif

The kings ranged from 58cm to 65cm with only 2 being legal.

Plastics and squid did all the damage with plastics accounting for most of the larger fish. Also managed a few 45cm+ tailor on hardbodies as a bonus.

I'll put up a post later tonight with photos when I have a bit of time.

Better luck next time!

Cheers

Trung / DHYPE

The bay was full of rat Kings today we caught many around the drums and at the

oil wharf. We couldnt get away from them, squid, yakkas, prawns, pillies and

chicken breast did the damage for us.

cheers