Kingfish set up $300 ~$400 Budget

jay83091

Hi Experts,

Hope you are all well :)

I mainly fish from the rocks (land based) for reasonable kings, bonitos, salmons etc. I am using pretty standard, economical gear ($270 all up) for bait fishing (i.e. 20lb + 40lb, using pilchards with gang hooks)

Trying to switch to lure fishing and looking to upgrade my gears at the same time (perhaps little heavier gear). I have a budget of $400 to spend this time.

Can anyone recommend me a good set up?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers :beersmile:

Hi James

Try having a look at the Shimano Stradic 6000 or 8000, great reels ive had mine for over 2 years now and I fish most weekends of the rocks. The have a really good drag system and for the money they are great value for around $180 - $220.

For rods I have the daiwa heartland in the 20lb version which I use for salmon and tailor in winter the 30lb version is a beast and is more than capable of wrestling a few kings. They retail for about $160 - $200

You could also try the Daiwa Sensor Surf they are a bit more expensive but also a great rod.

There are plenty of rods and reels out there mate, Good luck.

dont forget that if your getting a reel in the "6000" range, you'l easily fit 600+ yards of braid, and at up to 30c a meter - thats like 100 bucks

most stores have "clearance" specials. not the latest gear but brand new and still good. could be worthwhile just visiting a few shops and see what they have to offer

I have a Daiwa Saltist 4500 and this is a very rugged reel for the rocks.

When looking at rods if your going to be moving alot around the rocks i would suggest going fibreglass for your first rod because it is alot more durable against dropping. Graphite does give more feel but..

I have a Daiwa Saltist 4500 and this is a very rugged reel for the rocks.

When looking at rods if your going to be moving alot around the rocks i would suggest going fibreglass for your first rod because it is alot more durable against dropping. Graphite does give more feel but..

i actually used a 12ft graiphite rod and im in love most of my 12ft rods are the snyder glass rods that are heay buggers

Hey mate,

I recently went though the same thing. I got a couple of options for you.

I went with a 20lb rod (its actually a 17lb but yeah recommend a 20lb) and run either a sol 3000 or it for a Shimano Ci4. This will handle big trevs, rat kings and some bigger ones on the surface. Ive also got a Lox 7kg which I use for lighter lures. Both of these rods will take kings but I recommend the 20lb rod. 7 foot - 8foot is good.

Ive also got a Spheros (Shimano) in the 8000 size. 15kg of drag and a very nice mid price reel, $200ish. The rod is a 10-15kg Tcurve Offshore. If you need to throw anything in the 30g-100g area including 9inch sluggos, 19cm lures or big poppers this is worth the money. Retails now at about $170. Its a machine and will take anything. This combo brought up a king - landbased on a pier within 60 seconds. The king was 85ish cm. Id put my money into this. It runs 30lb (more than enough) and will cast over 150-200m. Its the 7,6 model from memory (two peice.)

The 20lb rod will be fun, the 15kg gear will stop a freight train as long as you can hold onto it. I would also look at the Triajelo(SP?) if you are landbased mostly.

Edited by Fezza

Hey mate,

I recently went though the same thing. I got a couple of options for you.

I went with a 20lb rod (its actually a 17lb but yeah recommend a 20lb) and run either a sol 3000 or it for a Shimano Ci4. This will handle big trevs, rat kings and some bigger ones on the surface. Ive also got a Lox 7kg which I use for lighter lures. Both of these rods will take kings but I recommend the 20lb rod. 7 foot - 8foot is good.

Ive also got a Spheros (Shimano) in the 8000 size. 15kg of drag and a very nice mid price reel, $200ish. The rod is a 10-15kg Tcurve Offshore. If you need to throw anything in the 30g-100g area including 9inch sluggos, 19cm lures or big poppers this is worth the money. Retails now at about $170. Its a machine and will take anything. This combo brought up a king - landbased on a pier within 60 seconds. The king was 85ish cm. Id put my money into this. It runs 30lb (more than enough) and will cast over 150-200m. Its the 7,6 model from memory (two peice.)

The 20lb rod will be fun, the 15kg gear will stop a freight train as long as you can hold onto it. I would also look at the Triajelo(SP?) if you are landbased mostly.

I also have a Wilson Live fibre 10-15kg 10ft rod and a Spinfisher 950ss for sale for $150 - As a combo. It will stop all kings land based, period! Its a little lower than your budget though and a spheros is a much lighter reel.

That's a top buy at that price!

Cheers Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An 8 ft rod just isn't long enough off the rocks in my opinion. Unless you're fishing a perfect ledge that drops straight into the water then you'll end up always tangling your line on the ledge. A longer rod, about 12 ft, let's you keep the line off the rocks and helps you steer the fish. Only reason you'd ever think of going shorter than 12 ft in a spin outfit is if you weren't strong enough to hold on, but seriously a 10 kg rod in 12 ft is no problem for the average person to hold onto.

Go the sensor surf, if you search the net you can find them well under $200.

Awesome set up you got there Nathan:)

Thanks everyone for the input. Love this forum :)

I've decided to go for either Stradic 8000 or Saltist 4500. I just checked the price and they cost $300 each.

Could I get some advice on rods? I will be mainly fishing from the rocks targeting kings, travs, salmon, bonito.

12ft? 10ft? 7ft? 8ft? I didn't expect the reel to be $300 so I guess I will have to go little over and budget $200 for the rod.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks again

James :beersmile:

Edited by Jamesy83091

As I said, the diawa sensor surf is a good rod that will come in under $200 if you do your homework...

And go a 12ft rod, you won't regret it. It means you can stay back from the water making it that bit safer, and is easier to steer the fish from structure.

Edited by abecedarian