Launching a 5.2+ fibreglass boat solo

locodave

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping if all goes well I can get a fibre glass boat later this year. I go fishing a lot on my own and was just wondering how you guys do it?

I was reading in the other thread about the Haines RF and some people mentioned about moving it alone.

So I am curious, how do you guys launch such a big heavy boat like that?

Also thought Haines Hunter and Haines Signature was the same company?

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping if all goes well I can get a fibre glass boat later this year. I go fishing a lot on my own and was just wondering how you guys do it?

I was reading in the other thread about the Haines RF and some people mentioned about moving it alone.

Hi, with practice and the proper trailer launching any boat from both companies will be easy. As for the two companies they are different companies with different build standards and designs and you can tell which brand I prefer due to stocking and selling one, but both are fine Aussie made boats and you would be happy with either I just prefer the Haines Hunter range and build quality.

Cheers,

Huey.

If you end up buying a boat on a drive on trailer I have seen a video that will help you. By tying a short rope to both sides of your hand rail at the front of your boat that will hang low enough to catch the winch post.

reverse trailer into water ready to launch, Hang rope over winch post and release safety chain & winch strap (NEVER TOW TRAILER UP OR DOWN BOAT RAMP WITH OUT THE SAFETY CHAIN) Climb in to boat and drive boat forward up the trailer leaving motor running and still in gear accelerating go to front of boat and pull rope in to boat clear of trailer, Reverse boat off trailer and park against sand or tie to jetty while you park your car.

to retrieve your boat do the same in reverse sequence!

Ive never tried it but it looked to work pretty simple.

practice makes perfect,also there is also a new boat trailer hitch on the market that as you drive on to the trailer it spring loaded and locks on so you dont need to hook boat to winch strap on trailer ,i say it would be a good tool for 1man launch and retrive ,i think around $250 -$300 ,worth the look not sure of the name of it but someone will know,ive seen it in operation down at the ramp on 22footers and works a treat.

If you end up buying a boat on a drive on trailer I have seen a video that will help you. By tying a short rope to both sides of your hand rail at the front of your boat that will hang low enough to catch the winch post.

reverse trailer into water ready to launch, Hang rope over winch post and release safety chain & winch strap (NEVER TOW TRAILER UP OR DOWN BOAT RAMP WITH OUT THE SAFETY CHAIN) Climb in to boat and drive boat forward up the trailer leaving motor running and still in gear accelerating go to front of boat and pull rope in to boat clear of trailer, Reverse boat off trailer and park against sand or tie to jetty while you park your car.

lol

Hi Guys,

mate i got a 5.2 half cab with biminy and clears, i go out a lot by myself, i always check what the wind is gunna be doing, which decides where i launch my boat, cause getting it back on the trailer by myself can be a bitch, so if its gonna be a windy retrieve, i launch at a ramp that i know is shelterd from the wind, cause my boat is like a sailboat tryin 2 get it back on in the wind. good luck

Edited by rodd33

I have a 530f signature which when I brought it didnt have a good trailer & with the wife put a nice hole in the front , so as soon as I got the next tax cheque I invested in a Dunbier drive on trailer which I did the homework on . It has a cradle that the front is guided by ,then you drive the boat up onto the trailer keeping it gear when you reach the end & I reach over the front & hook on the front . To launch I start the boat & put it into gear , lean over the front & undo , then put it into neutral & she rolls off . The main thing is the ramp , that you know it well & know your wind & how it affects that ramp . Hope it helps ,& look at other people so you know what not to do .

Hi Mate ,A couple of key things,

1:Agood trailer with either easy loader rollers spring loaded for self centering,if possible

2:Knowledge of the boat ramp in use

3:And tides help on different ramps different tides.

You could even get an electric winch with controller as you hook up boat it can take up slack of cable or even pull up while you get up to winch.

over all a good Boat Ramp can make all the difference and some good water shoes as ramps are slippery and sharp and this is the last thing you want to be worried about at the time of need.And alot of good boatties will give you a hand if they see you are alone,

GOOD LUCK BUDDY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:1fishing1:

I agree (NEVER TOW TRAILER UP OR DOWN BOAT RAMP WITH OUT THE SAFETY CHAIN) a few years ago at Brooklyn we just put the boat in & the car in parking area, walking down the ramp next to me was a Lancruiser with a Bigass glass boat 7or8 mtr est $100+k with wife & kids in the boat I hear a click & zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz & CRUNCH boat is off the trailer. I absolutely crapped my pants. Everyone onboard was OK. We tried to help get it back on the trailer but you know those type who know it all. We let him go it on his own.

I think he ruined our day. We got zipadiduda :ranting2:

zed

Being confident is the major factor. If you believe you can do it, often it will come easier to you.

I recently started launching my Haines Signature 600BR on my own, and pretty much got it right first time out. It's a 6 metre boat and quite heavy. I found that backing the trailer that bit extra into the water helped, but only so the rear tires of the car were on the water line. Start the motor, engage forward gear, walk up front unclip the winch strap, walk down back, boat in reverse, give it a few revs to work with and off comes the boat.

Getting it back on was harder, had to account for wind and tide, but just took it easy, nosed the boat against the back of the trailer til it found where it wanted to sit and then gave it some juice and it just drove straight up onto the trailer. Used enough revs to get the nose to the top of the trailer and then dropped the revs to idle with the motor still in gear, walked up and put the winch strap and safety on, engine in neutral and switched off, motor tilted up, then drive away.

Probably sounds easy in writing, and you might want to have someone watch you the first time you try it in case you do need a hand. Either way you'll love owning a fibreglass boat!