Locking rodholder idea thats been bugging me!

helliconia

As I've mentioned (a lot) I just bought my first boat and being a lazy git the idea of pulling all my gear off it all the time makes me tired just thinking it...

I have an idea for a pair of multi-rodholders that will lock to prevent low life scum from stealing my rods. Unfortunately I'm a terrible artist and even worse with tools (especially those that are powered!) so I hope my description can be understood.

The picture:

The back would be a flat piece of metal, with a gimballed type mount on the top for a bar that would lock (with a padlock or some other mechanism) to the bottom end of the plate.

On the side of the plate would be a number (I see 3 or 4) metal tubes, 10-15cm long and large enough diameter to take a rod comfortably, extending 90 degrees from the plate and welded to it.

The idea is that you insert the rod butt into the tube with the reel attached until the neck of the reel is flush with the end of the tube, then swing the locking bar down until it is flush with the other side of the reel neck and lock back to the plate. It would "sandwich" the reel seat and neck so the rod can't be pulled out of the tube and the reel can't be taken off the rod (the reel seat collar screwy thing would be insde the tube).

The back plate would be attached to the ribbing of my boat via a big ass rivet (or maybe a better way if someone knows one).

I know its not going to stop a really determined theif but it will stop those opportunists in their tracks!

Any ideas on how hard this would be to make or what it might cost?

I read through the tuna tube post and was pretty impressed with the result, maybe this is something that could be done in a similiar way if others see a need for them.

I trolled the net for days looking for a solution but couldn't find one. If someone knows of a product thats reasonably priced to do the job I'd love to hear about it.

i'm sort off with you on the idea but a scribling would be good it sounds like a lot off trouble but i can see were your coming from with some reels worth 900+

to give you some idea off cost labour is around 80 per hour so you would have to make 100 units to keep the cost down

and the next problem is if it is a good idea with in 8months off it hitting the market china will copy it and sell it for fraction off the cost as there labour cost is 100 usd per month for a good tradsman

but i love working on new ideas so if you would like to have a chat feel free to ring me best to ring after 5.00pm as i never hear my phone rimg at work cheers gary

Thanks Gary.

I'm no engineer so maybe there's an easier way to rig what I'm thinking of. The gimball hinge came to mind so it can be lifted and rotated around the reel itself and fit snugly underneath, but maybe something simpler would be better.

I'll try and draw it and get it online in the next few days and we can see how we go from there.

Cheers

Brian

Sounds like an idea that would be useful for those who tow their boat some distance with their gear in the boat. That way they know it's secure if they have to let it out of their sight for some reason, say at a servo while they pay or at the tackle store getting supplies on the way to the ramp.

One thought that might make it easier to implement. Basically you want a bar that sits across the reel stem when the outfit is in the rocket holder (or similar). You need the bar at the right length so it covers the reels with a couple of inches overhang, with a hole each end. Then all you'd need is two pins welded onto the rocket holders to fit the holes over and from there you can lock it up with a couple of padlocks. This would be better than a hinged setup as you don't need the bar there at all if it's not going to be used (easily stowed or left at home), and it means that you can thread it through just above the reel stem between the rod butt and where the line runs, so you don't have to de-rig your outfits to lock them up. Hope that makes sense...

Sounds like an idea that would be useful for those who tow their boat some distance with their gear in the boat. That way they know it's secure if they have to let it out of their sight for some reason, say at a servo while they pay or at the tackle store getting supplies on the way to the ramp.

One thought that might make it easier to implement. Basically you want a bar that sits across the reel stem when the outfit is in the rocket holder (or similar). You need the bar at the right length so it covers the reels with a couple of inches overhang, with a hole each end. Then all you'd need is two pins welded onto the rocket holders to fit the holes over and from there you can lock it up with a couple of padlocks. This would be better than a hinged setup as you don't need the bar there at all if it's not going to be used (easily stowed or left at home), and it means that you can thread it through just above the reel stem between the rod butt and where the line runs, so you don't have to de-rig your outfits to lock them up. Hope that makes sense...

That does sound a lot simpler!

And if I'm picturing what your suggesting right it could be made just by bending tabs from one flat piece of metal and welding on the tubes for the base. The locking bit would just need an angle bit on each end that slips under it with matching holes for the padlocks.

Back to the drawing board!

Ok here's my scribble. Hope you can read my crappy handwriting for the notes!

The bit on the left slides into the bit on the right. Hopefully the drawing makes sense :)

printing the pic is probably the best way to view it.

Fixed the image so its a bit easier to see :)

post-12171-064449600 1295600603_thumb.jpg

Edited by EmptyHooks

Your not going to stop a professional thief if he targets your gear. These gadgets are really just to prevent the nuisance opportunistic thieves who see your stuff unattended and snatch whatever is loose.

I really just wanted something simple that would give me a little piece of mind while launching or retrieving the boat solo.