Beach Jew

meathead

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to this forum and have been enjoying the reports - especially all the jews and kings which are my favourite fish. Thought I'd show you my latest.

This one was caught off my favourite beach in Port Macquarie. We'd had a few days of rain and overcast conditions and there was a high tide around dark so I thought it would be worth fishing the last hour of daylight and then for an hour or so after dark. Turns out I managed to catch my share of mullet pretty quickly so I was on the beach around 6pm some 2 hours before dark. I thought it was a bit early but with nothing else to do I decided to have a throw. The first livie out got smashed and after a good fight with the fish taking full advantage of the heavy shorebreak I landed this fella. He went 13 kilos and looked terrific in the late afternoon sunlight. There is something special about catching a nice jew off the beach during the day when you can see the size of the fish in the shorebreak. Something you can't really see at night. I missed the hookup on my next bait and then it all went quiet.

I've had a few other smaller ones since (and plenty of rays and sharks including a Grey Nurse which was a bit of a surprise) but I thought this one was pretty special. Not my biggest fish but there was just something special about catching him at that time of the afternoon.

Cheers

post-14883-052331800 1295321171_thumb.jpg

Yes the Grey Nurse took me by surprise and left me scratching my head. I'd never caught one before and hadn't seen one in the flesh. It was around 1.5 m long and weighed around 30-35 kilos I guess. The head was unmistakable but the tail confused me. I jumped on the net when I got home and sure enough it was a Grey Nurse. Just goes to show the variety of fish that will come into the beach at times.

It does look like I'm playing a bit of air guitar with it! At that time I was going to release it so was trying to look after it but decided that I could do with a bit more fish in the freezer. Filleted, skinned, cut into meal size pieces and then cooked in foil with some garlic and ginger is my specialty.

Don't talk too much about the Nurse. Before you know it your favourite beach will be clasified as a congregation zone in desperate need of protecting as there are no more nurses there.

They'll slap a marine park over it and thats that.

On the Jew though, that's a top effort! Daylight Jew just look totally amazing.

Don't talk too much about the Nurse. Before you know it your favourite beach will be clasified as a congregation zone in desperate need of protecting as there are no more nurses there.

They'll slap a marine park over it and thats that.

On the Jew though, that's a top effort! Daylight Jew just look totally amazing.

:Funny-Post:

Yes it was at Lighthouse. Great beach.

Mines a simple rig. Ball sinker, lumo bead (to stop damage to the swivel knot by sinker), swivel and then a metre of leader to a 7/0 or 8/0 hook. rig the bait through the nose.