LEAD SINKERS AND THE ENVIROMENT

johnboy

THIS IS A TOPIC THAT HAS CONCERNED FOR QUITE SOME TIME NOW IF YOU CONSIDER THE AMOUNT OF LEAD US FISHOS LOSE DUE TO SNAGS & BUSTOFFS & THOSE DREADED LEATHERJACKETS YOU HAVE TO STOP AND THINK WHAT IMPACT THIS IS HAVING ON THE SEABED.IM NO SCIENTIST BUT COMMON SENSE TELLS ME LEAD IS CORROSIVE AND WILL EVENTUALY BREAK DOWN AND MAKE ITS WAY INTO SEDIMENT ,AND INTO THE ROOT SYSTEM OF MANY LIVING PLANTS CONTAMINATING BOTH PRAWNS SQUID AND FISH THEN US HUMANS.

I USE TO DO A FAIR BIT OF DISTANCE CASTING FOR SNAPPER OF THE ROCKS AND FELT GUILTY WHEN I WOULD LOSE UP TO 5 OR 6 SINKERS IN THE 3 TO 4 OUNCE RANGE,SO I GAVE THAT AWAY UNTILL I DONE SOME RESEARCH AND FOUND AN ALTERNATIVE TO LEAD SINKERS ( ENVIROWEIGHTS WHICH CAME IN BALL,BEAN,SND SNAPPER SHAPES AND ARE MADE FROM IRON ORE)I ALSO FOUND ZINC SINKERS & ONES MADE FROM BISMUTH AND TIN.

I JUST WANT TO ADD NO I DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, I JUST MADE THE SWITCH TO ( LEAD FREE )SOMETHING THAT SHOULD BE GIVEN ALOT MORE THOUGHT NEXT TIME YOU PURCHASE YOUR NEXT BATCH OF SINKERS.

YOUR THOUGHTS APPRECIATED ON THIS TOPIC.

CHEERS SPINMAN,

I have been using the envrio sinkers for a year now. Yes, they might rust and degrade over a couple of months but its still better than the alternative. Best part is, at certain stores you can sometimes pick them up on clearance for $1 or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes LEAD does come out of the ground and so does ASBESTOS both can potentially make you very sick with cancer leading to death.

Enviro sinkers will rust if you put your used sinkers back in with your new ones ,this can be solved by having a seperate container for the used sinkers.