Rats and crocs

Beaver

Hi Guys

Went out to the Fads early Saturday only to find rats and no dollies. Hooked a few rats with yakkas but got sick of them so headed back closer to shore. Did a few drifts just off the heads for flatties. Got two smaller ones which were released, decided to send out a yakka to the bottom as we do sometimes. About 10 mins in my rod buckled over and I was on something decent... got it to the boat and my mate thought it was a stingray or something, when it got closer we realised it was a bloody big flattie, managed to stuff around with the net before finally landing it. I didn't know this type of flattie got so big we usually get them max 55cm.

The fish was deep hooked and wasn't in good condition so decided to keep it rather then release it only for it to die. Plus it was late in the day and the only keeper we had. Cooked it up on the barbie and was great given its size, nice moist fillets.

Can someone confirm it's an eastern blue spot?

Went around 77/78cms

Cheers

Beaver

post-3646-071450600 1295829030_thumb.jpgpost-3646-039301800 1295829051_thumb.jpg

It can at times be difficult to identify whether it is an Eastern Blue Spotted Flathead, or a Dusky Flathead because the general colouring of both may be very similar.

The best way is to compare the caudal fin.

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead

post-4381-085519300 1295843641_thumb.jpg

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead caudal fin

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead may be a light to dark sandy colour. They have scattered blue spots, and a series of elongated dark blotches on the tail.

Dusky Flathead

post-4381-053399000 1295843772_thumb.jpg

Dusky Flathead Caudal Fin

Dusky Flathead. Their colour varies from a light sandy colour with brown spots and blotches to dark brown/black with white spots. They have a distinctive black spot on their caudal fins which may also be "bluish" in colour. Dark bars are often visible across the rear of the body.

The pectoral fins are also different.

post-4381-008624000 1295843880_thumb.jpg

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead Pectoral fin

post-4381-039158500 1295843903_thumb.jpg

Dusky Flathead Pectoral Fin

Cheers

Peter

PS Beaver, I'm fairly sure yours is a Dusky. It has the dark bands near the tail and the pectoral fins look like a dusky's.

It's an excellent fish! Congratulations! :thumbup:

Edited by peterS

It can at times be difficult to identify whether it is an Eastern Blue Spotted Flathead, or a Dusky Flathead because the general colouring of both may be very similar.

The best way is to compare the caudal fin.

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead

post-4381-085519300 1295843641_thumb.jpg

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead caudal fin

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead may be a light to dark sandy colour. They have scattered blue spots, and a series of elongated dark blotches on the tail.

Dusky Flathead

post-4381-053399000 1295843772_thumb.jpg

Dusky Flathead Caudal Fin

Dusky Flathead. Their colour varies from a light sandy colour with brown spots and blotches to dark brown/black with white spots. They have a distinctive black spot on their caudal fins which may also be "bluish" in colour. Dark bars are often visible across the rear of the body.

The pectoral fins are also different.

post-4381-008624000 1295843880_thumb.jpg

Eastern Bluespotted Flathead Pectoral fin

post-4381-039158500 1295843903_thumb.jpg

Dusky Flathead Pectoral Fin

Cheers

Peter

PS Beaver, I'm fairly sure yours is a Dusky. It has the dark bands near the tail and the pectoral fins look like a dusky's.

Thanks very much for the informative reply Peter. I think you might be right being a dusky. Only reason i thought it was a bluespot was because we got a lot of small bluespots in the same area over sand and gravel.

Cheers