Oil Injection - How Do I know when too much oil is being injected?

NickF

I have a feeling my motor is adding too much oil to the mixture. I have seen carburetted 2-strokes running way cleaner than mine which is EFI. Especially at idle the amount of smoke can be quite alot, whereas others I see run very clean.

Any suggestions on how to prove my theory or additives I should be putting in the oil to clean up the oil injection system? I suppose one thing I can do is monitor how much oil is being used per tank of fuel and get an idea if the ration is correct. From what I know it should be mixing at 50:1. But as I said, mine seems to run quite smokey compared to others, and especially at idle.

I have a feeling my motor is adding too much oil to the mixture. I have seen carburetted 2-strokes running way cleaner than mine which is EFI. Especially at idle the amount of smoke can be quite alot, whereas others I see run very clean.

Any suggestions on how to prove my theory or additives I should be putting in the oil to clean up the oil injection system? I suppose one thing I can do is monitor how much oil is being used per tank of fuel and get an idea if the ration is correct. From what I know it should be mixing at 50:1. But as I said, mine seems to run quite smokey compared to others, and especially at idle.

Hi Nick, as I have mentioned to you your oil injection is gear drvien and there is a shaft that can be adjusted but rarely needs to be. The quality of the oil used makes a huge difference to the amount of blue smoke and at idle your engine uses nothing like 50:1 and yes only way to find out much oil/fuel you are using is to do the test of a known quantity of fuel and then see how much oil you use in that time-if you accerate hard and run at high RPM for exteneded time it will use more than a guy that idles alot.

If my engine I would use XD-100 in it and yes it is dearer than cheap ****** oil, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

Cheers,

Huey.

I am using the Mercury Premium Plus oil, which is a crapload dearer than the Valvoline and others.

Is the XD-100 even better than the Mercury oil Huey?

I'll use my next outing to get an idea of how much oil it is using.

I assume the best way is to fill my tank and then run it basically dry and then see how much oil has gone?

Hi Nick, yes XD-100 is better oil and yes do what you are thinking of doing about oil/fuel usage.

Yes he could get a 4-Stroke, but he would be very disappointed in the performance compared to what he already has. He could always get an E-TEC and not sacrfice performance and the E-TEC IS the cleanest outboard made FULL STOP and with that E-TEC there is ALOT less carbon monoxide that comes out the exhaust and as I am sure you are aware CO is not good for us humans.

Cheers,

Huey.

I love the performance of the motor I have, just want to get it running as best as I can, as you would expect.

Huey I did try and get approval from the Minister for War and Finance but she wasn't too impressed about spending money on a new motor so for now I will keep with that I have, as much as I'd love an E-TEC.

Would love a price on the XD-100 though I'll come up this week and pick some up.

Hi Nick, no problems we keep it in stock and nothing really wrong with your old girl, it has stood the test of time in our salt water environment (something that some technologies have yet to do), it is still running and yes is very powerful, only problem is she likes to drink and smoke whereas the new clean tech engines do not and comparing your engine to a new tech one is a bit like comparing a 30 year old Falcon to a new Commodore and saying how much better is the Commodore-it really is a waste of time but some outboard companies and boat users like to do this.

Cheers,

Huey.

Chris one thing it doesn't have is a temp guage, probably something I should get Huey to attend to.

Like Huey said, it's doing well considering its age and it goes like a Demon so I really can't complain :)