Beach fishing

RPL

Hi, im just wondering if anyone can help me with a few beach fishing pointers.

I'm new to it all so I was wondering if people could answer a few questions i have.

I'm starting off targeting bread and butter species so here goes.

1. Do tides really matter? Whats the best tide to fish off the beaches? Ill fish Cronulla beach

2. What rig do I use? Normally my sinker gets twisted above the mainline where the swivel meets the lead.

3. What areas do I fish for bream and whiting? I've been told that I dont need to fish gutters but im not too sure?

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!

G'day RPL

i love surf fishing - getting your feet wet, facing the waves. Brilliant !

As to your questions:

1). Yes tides matter. You'l generally catch more around a tide change - but thats not to say you wont catch anything the other times. Also dawn / dusk play an important role too. Low tide just after dawn = perfect! I prefer to fish an hour before low tide to an hour after. Low tide you can see the gutters / holes better. Just remember low tide = food moving out to sea

2). I used to use a running sinker to a swivel to 3x 4/0 hooks ganged. Now i am converted to surf poppers. You can buy these pre-rigged for under 5 bucks. Basically its a patternosta rig with a surf popper on the top dropper (looks something like this: http://www.amazonoutdoors.com.au/e2Shop/uploads/330/surf_poppers.jpg), and ganged 4/0 on the bottom dropper. Large star sinker on the bottom. casts a mile and reduces tangles. 20lb line should give you some fun :biggrin2: (this setup is mainly for salmon / tailor - the bread and butter surf species)

3). bream / whiting prefer (from my experience anyway) a less surf beach. Any beach where the surf is under 1 foot. look for places where weed meets the sand. Running sinker to a long shanked hook (or jigging soft plastics) and you'l be good to go

Bit more info in another thread :

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=52516&st=0&p=381972&hl=beach&fromsearch=1entry381972

Edited by bennoz

You should also select your bait for the species you're targeting.

Live beach worms, or better; blood worms.

If there are whiting there, you should definitely catch them.

Bream will also take these off the beach.

A few guys were catching them at stanwell park the other day. About 5 around the 1.2 kg mark.

Hope this helps.

Will

Hi, im just wondering if anyone can help me with a few beach fishing pointers.

I'm new to it all so I was wondering if people could answer a few questions i have.

I'm starting off targeting bread and butter species so here goes.

1. Do tides really matter? Whats the best tide to fish off the beaches? Ill fish Cronulla beach

2. What rig do I use? Normally my sinker gets twisted above the mainline where the swivel meets the lead.

3. What areas do I fish for bream and whiting? I've been told that I dont need to fish gutters but im not too sure?

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Bennoz has pretty much covered it, and your fishing gear needs extra tender love and care on the sands, especially if you use eggbeater reels (I only fish with alvey's on the surf). Try and keep your reel away from the Saltwater and sand. I always take my beach gear into the shower with me after a surf session, and rinse everything down and wipe dry after finishing (this includes hooks, sinkers, swivels etc.). Lightly spray your reel with Inox, and even canola spray from a can is brilliant for hooks etc...

I have seen lot's of guys go beach fishing and then go home and throw their expensive gear in the garage corner full of sand, ready to use for their next sessions... :wacko:

Good luck,

Spizza

Edited by spizza

Always good to have a look from higher ground if you can and try and spot the gutters etc, this is where the fish normally like to cruise from experience.

We used to fish Cronulla at sunset, hightide or just before always got us the best catch, always used to cast just where the surf starts from the ocean, using a patternoster rig and big pyramid sinker on the bottom, not only to keep it down in the surf, but also heavy enough to be able to cast over the waves into the sweetspot.

try adding a bit of red electrical wire tubing just before your long shank hooks this used to give me crazy luck compared to the other guys i fished with!

Size of your gear really depends on how strong the surf and current is, make sure its up to standard as we used to cath a few jewies as well.

and do yourself a favour and learn how to catch beachworms, not only were they the best bait hooking us 8 to 1 i'd say compared to others there, but they are alot of fun to catch as well.