Fussy squid

Sven Graham

Hi...have just started trying to catch squid...very unsuccessful

Tried at about 6:00am off cobblers towards the naval base...after half an hour finally saw three squid following the jig but they wouldn't go for it.....any suggestions?....I had a brownish lure...is that the wrong colour for the harbour

Also are there better spots with more squid?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have no trouble catching livies, but just can't get the kingies to touch them.

Thanks again

mate definately agree with mtcolah. Use a while pilchard or yellow tail with a rubber band around it and put it on a squid bait jig. basically looks like a sharp metal stick with squid hooked on the end. thread the bait throught the mouth so the head is facing down toward the hooks. i catch mega squid this way.

Squid jigs work for me in the area your fishing usually in the pink and orange. dont use big ones the smaller the better and make them as shiny as possible e.g. put glitter on them. doesnt hurt to put a starlight about 30cm on the line above the jig. and jig it in an eradic fashion going up and down. when u feel weight keep tension and slowly wind them in. use light gear aswell so u can feel the tension better.

There are 2 types of real jigging patterns, I prefer just raising with one long lift of the rod, then let it sit for abit, and repeat, Colours seem to work in right light conditions, eg blue is good for daylight, while pink and orange work well at night, I have an orange one and the amount of times ive gotten a squid on it. Anyways ill post a pic of it.

Expensive jigs work better for me and Gulp! spray on the jig kicks butt. Just do a little spray every 5 casts or so.

Greg

I pretty much only use Yo-Zuri and Yamashita jigs. If the squid are being tentative and not commiting try using a spray like Egi-Max, Glo-Max, Ultra-Bite or Gulp as mentioned above. I also find in those situations downsizing to a 1.8 squid jig and trying to get the jig to sit as still as possible mid-water can make the squid braver and commit. There are also some jigs that are smaller but they can be difficult to cast and sink very slowly.

the best advice i can give you is dont worry about the star light get your self the new yamashita warm jacket squid jigs me and a few mates have been using them and since using them never come home with out a squid

I have one of these and have yet to catch anything on it, I switch back to a non warm

skin jig and Im on again.

cheers

I have one of these and have yet to catch anything on it, I switch back to a non warm

cheers

i only used to use yo zuri jigs when i was out squiding with my mates i was getting 2 or 3 squid now me and my mates are using warm jacket squid jigs we get a minamum of 6 or more each like example last week me and my mate and 10 other fishos were squiding at wallys warf me and him were using warm jacket and we were the only ones that caught squid im not saying that the yo zuri jigs arnt any good im just saying when the squid arnt biting i find that the warm jacket are working the best for me . lol i should be getting paid from yamashita 4 this lol

cheers

I finaly caught a squid on the warm skin jig, caught 4 all up, 1 was on the warm

skin jig and 3 on an orange and pink Yamashita.

Im gona keep trying the warm skin jig and hopefully catch more.

cheers

i only used to use yo zuri jigs when i was out squiding with my mates i was getting 2 or 3 squid now me and my mates are using warm jacket squid jigs we get a minamum of 6 or more each like example last week me and my mate and 10 other fishos were squiding at wallys warf me and him were using warm jacket and we were the only ones that caught squid im not saying that the yo zuri jigs arnt any good im just saying when the squid arnt biting i find that the warm jacket are working the best for me . lol i should be getting paid from yamashita 4 this lol

Yeah you said you were getting me one, still havent seen it.

I store my 2 dollar Ray's outdoors budget squid jigs with my block of pilchards so they absorb up all the vomit inducing smells and they work a treat for the missus. At times she out fishes me with my Yo-Zuri's.

But my best lure is the threaded yakka, has yet to fail me :D