How long a rod is too long - shore based casting distance

wonniefisho

Hi all,

Trying to work out the best combo for getting the best shore based casting distance.

Currently using either a Shimano raider spin 6'8" or Shimano Finesse Bream 7'2" and either a Penn 1000 Accord or Pflueger Trion GX7 and between 4-8lb line (usually Maxima Perfexion). Most often use mullet squares and a very small sinker just to add a tiny bit of weight to combat the breeze etc.

Any suggestions on how I could improve casting distance? Would a longer rod give me much more, if so, what is around? All I can find in lighter, longer rods is a Nitro Distance spin at 7'6" (and at $329 odd!) and I'm not sure if an extra 4 inches and $329 will give me much improvement.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

You could certainly attain more distance by swapping over to braided line, although it costs more than mono it is significantly cheaper than buying a new rod. If you decide to get another rod for the purpose I was once told to look at the first runner guide when estimating how effective a rod will cast line. If your first guide is too narrow it will act as a bottleneck and reduce your distance (although it probably assists in accuracy). Although this makes sense to me I won't claim it to be gospel.

Good luck in the quest for more distance,

Adam.

people actually make a sport out of surf casting. They use 12-14 foot rods that chuck 150g + sinkers well over 200 meters.

its a combination of rod, reel, sinker weight, braid line and co-ordination. google the pendulum cast to see how the pros do it.

ive seen pics of a snapped off sinker embedded into a car radiator. the big rods and weight generate ALOT of force. When i tried i cut my casting finger quite badly

anyway - enough of that. braid Will help as the low diameter cuts through the air much better than mono.

sinker weight is a big factor. add more = further, but it'l effect your fishing

reels - overheads are generally considered better for distance, but eggbeaters with a low profile lip on the cylinder (or that are quite full) reduce resistance as the line comes off the reel

rods - yes longer is better for distance but not so good for say ... in a boat. ideally you want a rod with a nice whip action and a sensitive tip. The rod will provide most of the force that sends your sinker a mile

Thanks guys for your input.

I do have some Spiderwire I thought of trying instead of my mono. Maybe its time to get it on the spool. Also, I'm wondering if a slightly larger sized reel might be better. I was thinking of upgrading to a Ci4, being lighter than the standard Stradics I'm wondering if a 2500 would still be ok for fishing light, and I guess it also makes it a bit more flexible for if I fish for slightly bigger stuff at a pinch.

To answer the last question, I've alway fished with that length rod for bream/flatties etc, mainly because longer in light gear isn't overly available.

On the same subject, can I ask, my Raider Spin 6'8 with Penn 1000 is a nice combo and is smooth and comfortable, but the Finesse Bream with the Trion GX7 (somewhere between 500-1000 size) seems to 'wobble' as I wind in (although the reel feels smooth).....is it just not a well suited rod/reel combo?

longer rods are good for the surf as they allow you to hold the line above the surf so it doesnt constantly get hit by the surf. I have been using my 3m Shimano 3-5kg rod for flicking plastics and i notice that i can get further cast compared to when i use my 2m 3-5kg pfulger rod using the same reel and soft plastic. For the surf i believe that longer rods are always better.

mono cast futher in distance casting comps world wide ,you wont a small guide as a striper guide if using braid for distance ,you also want a rod that is very fast in tip recovery ,on my distance rods for braid with spinning reels i start with a number 20 guide . buying a new rod and reel may buy some distance but a good casting style will be alot cheaper and give more distance .

• 2 weeks later...

Of late a lot of the Jap rods are coming out with narrower stripper guides. It's ment to reduce line looping and aid in casting distance when using braid. The lighter popper rods seemed to be the first to change over.

On your current outfits to make them cast further I would first change the line. If your only chasing bream and flatties go for a light braid like 4-6lb on them small reels. Nitlon casts nice.

Next I would change the way you cut your bait, don't cut squares, they tumble in the air on the cast. Use thin strips that are only pinned through the hook once at one of the ends. It's more stream lined and will definately improve the casting distance when using light sinkers.

Good luck!

Greg

Long rods are great. I mush prefer them. I have a couple of 8 footers which I use out to of the boat. My squid rods are 8'6"to 9' long. Handy for avoiding the outboard etc when a good fish is hooked. Also, more fun!! That said, on heavy gear, long rods can work against the angler.

Edited by Cephalopod

Ive got a 7'10 starlo stix tournament pro that fires light weights a fair distance, i use it for bait fishing and also casting small metals at bonnies and stuff on the surface and love it for that, itd be perfect for flicking for bream and flatties off the shore too, combined with a 2500 stradic and 10lb nitlon braid, casts a mile. You could pick one up for less than 150 atm.