Trolling & Jigging Botany Bay, The Peak etc

Joco

Hello raiders,

Went today outside Botany Bay heads trolling for whatever we can get. Been hearing that there is plenty of game fish about. So decided to try our luck.

First of all our skipper slept in and as a result, had to wait an extra 1.5hrs at the boat ramp. He got stuck in the M5 morning traffic, not happy Jan.

Heading out at around 7:30am, it was pretty hot and humid, no cloud in sight, water was warm at around 24 degrees, water clarity was excellent and there was minimal wind.

Went to the two FAD points and there was nothing around.

After trolling for 2-3 hours, changing numerous lures, we decided to change fishing tactics, so i made the call to head to The Peak and start jigging for some King fish.

p2041224.jpg

Upon arrival, we only spotted one boat and imediatelly started searching for fish balls. Found some nice fish activity at around 40-50metere depth from a total of 70-75meters. The current was crazy trying to follow the fish.

Started dropping the 250g Knife Jigs and after the third drop i was on. I was hoping it was a nice Kingy but ended up being a Bonito.

p2041198.jpg

Chasing the fish balls we managed to catch one Bonito after another.

In a matter of an hour and a half we score x9 Bonitos, the biggest of them being between 59- 60cm which put up a good fight, even though i was using 50lb braid, 60lb mono leader, 7000 reel.

p2041202.jpg

p2041213.jpg

p2041214.jpg

Also hooked up on a small Kingy, which when brough up to the surface, unhooked himself and made our job easier.

Managed to lose a couple of Knife Jigs due to these bad boys chopping at everything that moved.

p2041211.jpg

Couple of more boats came to The Peak, the wind picked up and we decided to pack up and go home.

Overall a good and painfull day, working the rod up and down repetatively for so long.

HOPE to do it all again soon, and catch some nice game fish, and that big Kingy i am still searching for.

Anyone need a deck hand plase let me know.

Hi Joco

We were one of the boats that pulled up as the wind started to blow.

We managed to get 8 kingies ranging from 4 to 8kgs and all were caught on livies. I noticed guys jigging and working hard with only undersized kingies and bonnies.

We also trolled for 3-4 hours without turning a reel.

Nice Bonnie haul mate, maybe you'll find the kings next time.....Thought you might have trolled at the peak...I'd heard that a few boats smacked some Wahoo there last week....

THANKS champ, yeah ive been reading report, papers, forums etc that the wahoo, dollies, spanish mackarel have all moved in closer to the shore, so we decided to try our luck.. BUT FAILED!!!!!!

Hi Joco

We were one of the boats that pulled up as the wind started to blow.

We managed to get 8 kingies ranging from 4 to 8kgs and all were caught on livies. I noticed guys jigging and working hard with only undersized kingies and bonnies.

We also trolled for 3-4 hours without turning a reel.

NNNoooooo, should of came to say hallo, BUT with the current at the time, it was pretty bad.....

YOU lucky bugger, we didnt have time in the morning to catch livies as the skipper was running late....

LOL YEAH the person "working hard with ONLY undersized kingies and bonnies" was ME... NOT easy....

We were thinking of skipping a dead/live bonnie on the surface for a Marlin but one of our friends was way too sick (first time on the boat, threw up 10-15 times), so we decided to pack up....

Edited by Joco

Hi

We were another of the boats at the peak on fri,( did a report in fishing reports) That accounts for 3 of the 4 boats drifting there at 1230 as the wind started to blow. Beige aluminium half cabin with outrigers. My son was jigging I dropped whole dead squid down.

Trolling was very disappointing.

Bruce