Swansea is on fire!

Catchin Jack

Well a friend and I went out for a fish this morning at Swansea at 5am, we sorted out our rods on the way to the bar and got everything ready and then headed outside the heads.

Once outside we began trolling lures around the island and headed south around the front of the island, no sooner had we sorted our speed out and BAM, i'm on good and proper, after a bit of tug of war I won the tussle and up onto the deck came a nice 87cm kingfish.

We continued trolling and for about 30min we got the odd hit but no hookups. I scanned the water for birds and only a few hovering around and then I saw a nice bust up going up a few hundred metres away. So off I went toward the bust up and gave them a nice wide birth, we followed these fish and trolled our lures past them but they weren't interested, while doing this my mate saw another bust up so I headed for it and sure enough these fish wanted to play ball, within about 20 minutes we had 4 nice sized tuna onboard, they put up a great fight and one even stole my mates lure as we went to lift it into the boat, that'll teach him for not checking his lines haha.

Got bored with the tuna and took a run out wide to the FAD, about a 50 minute trip and we were rewarded with a decent dolly, there was also a lot of undersize ones but the FAD was quite productive as another boat there was cleaning up.

As the wind started to come up we decided to make our way back and as we approached the island just outside Swansea we saw a nice big fin cruising along so we dropped a nice appetiser out and tried getting this sharks attention but no matter what we did this big fella didn't want to have a feed and just teased us, he would've been at least 8ft in length and was a hammerhead. Everyone i've spoken to lately has said that there are a lot of sharks off Swansea at the moment.

So after being teased and starting to get hungry we made our way inside the lake, I made the decision to end our fun as I needed some food and fast haha.

The water temp was 22/23 degrees and there was tuna everywhere, just as big as salmon schools in winter.

I knew if we'd persisted with trolling near and around the island we probably would've hooked a few more kingfish, but I was happy with one for dinner. So ended up keeping 3 tuna, 1 kingfish and one dolphin fish between 2 of us, all fish kept were well over legal size and others caught were released to fight another day.

PS - Stupid me forgot the damn camera and left it sitting on kitchen bench, also forgot last nights left over t-bones that I left sitting on my wifes car bonnet, yes she thought I was an idiot for forgetting it and not real happy about finding it on her bonnet this morning.

Well a friend and I went out for a fish this morning at Swansea at 5am, we sorted out our rods on the way to the bar and got everything ready and then headed outside the heads.

Once outside we began trolling lures around the island and headed south around the front of the island, no sooner had we sorted our speed out and BAM, i'm on good and proper, after a bit of tug of war I won the tussle and up onto the deck came a nice 87cm kingfish.

We continued trolling and for about 30min we got the odd hit but no hookups. I scanned the water for birds and only a few hovering around and then I saw a nice bust up going up a few hundred metres away. So off I went toward the bust up and gave them a nice wide birth, we followed these fish and trolled our lures past them but they weren't interested, while doing this my mate saw another bust up so I headed for it and sure enough these fish wanted to play ball, within about 20 minutes we had 4 nice sized tuna onboard, they put up a great fight and one even stole my mates lure as we went to lift it into the boat, that'll teach him for not checking his lines haha.

Got bored with the tuna and took a run out wide to the FAD, about a 50 minute trip and we were rewarded with a decent dolly, there was also a lot of undersize ones but the FAD was quite productive as another boat there was cleaning up.

As the wind started to come up we decided to make our way back and as we approached the island just outside Swansea we saw a nice big fin cruising along so we dropped a nice appetiser out and tried getting this sharks attention but no matter what we did this big fella didn't want to have a feed and just teased us, he would've been at least 8ft in length and was a hammerhead. Everyone i've spoken to lately has said that there are a lot of sharks off Swansea at the moment.

So after being teased and starting to get hungry we made our way inside the lake, I made the decision to end our fun as I needed some food and fast haha.

The water temp was 22/23 degrees and there was tuna everywhere, just as big as salmon schools in winter.

I knew if we'd persisted with trolling near and around the island we probably would've hooked a few more kingfish, but I was happy with one for dinner. So ended up keeping 3 tuna, 1 kingfish and one dolphin fish between 2 of us, all fish kept were well over legal size and others caught were released to fight another day.

PS - Stupid me forgot the damn camera and left it sitting on kitchen bench, also forgot last nights left over t-bones that I left sitting on my wifes car bonnet, yes she thought I was an idiot for forgetting it and not real happy about finding it on her bonnet this morning.

Nice feed of fish guys, shame you didn,t score a few more dolphinfish as they are a superb feed,well done on a great day out.

chris

well done leo kingy dolly and tuna.what more could you ask for what did your mate eat for dinner :biggrin2:

i'll have to get up your way soon but at present i'm trying hard not going broke due to work being very patchy well done mate cheers gary

They were all Mack Tuna, and there was hundreds of them around, they were busting up everywhere.

I did see fisheries inspectors at 2 boat ramps around Swansea checking peoples catches, they were lurking around, was good to see them out and about checking up on fishos