Mack tuna in the harbour

fook

post-13820-017931600 1297174968_thumb.jpgwent fishing with a few friends on monday.started with a few yakkas and a tiny squid. saw birds in front of north heads and the water was exploding , seems like bonitos.drove on over speed and started casting, once the metal slice hit the water , the rod bend like hell and u can hear the reel scream in excitement.friend cast and it was a triple hook up. to cut things short .... caught 9 of them, r they good eating?went looking for kings and caught 2 with plastic. was abit lazy to send the riggers as the wind picks up... went to the harbour and found a massive school of king which won't take any of our offerings. police was on patrol checking all boats, good to see that they are working to keep ppl from keeping undersize fish.was a good day , too bad i have not catch any legal kings this year yet.

fook,

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day on the water fook :thumbup:

Too bad about the school of fussy Kings though :(

Im not sure if you have a Mack Tuna or a Frigate Mackeral in that pic,

I dont see any belly spots on it.

cheers

post-13820-017931600 1297174968_thumb.jpgwent fishing with a few friends on monday.started with a few yakkas and a tiny squid. saw birds in front of north heads and the water was exploding , seems like bonitos.drove on over speed and started casting, once the metal slice hit the water , the rod bend like hell and u can hear the reel scream in excitement.friend cast and it was a triple hook up. to cut things short .... caught 9 of them, r they good eating?went looking for kings and caught 2 with plastic. was abit lazy to send the riggers as the wind picks up... went to the harbour and found a massive school of king which won't take any of our offerings. police was on patrol checking all boats, good to see that they are working to keep ppl from keeping undersize fish.was a good day , too bad i have not catch any legal kings this year yet.

fook,

Frigate mack,very strong flavour if you eat it. Otherwise they are a supreme bait,Nice size.

Nice Mack Tuna mate,

There seems to be a few around the harbour at the moment. I bumped into a mate yesterday who had also got one. We might see some bluefin soon? :biggrin2:

I don't have personal experience but apparently they are not so great on the chew.

Edited by fishmaniac

Definately a big frigate mackeral it,s easy to seperate the two by looking at the dorsal fins.

The Frigate has a big gap between the front & rear dorsal fin

& the mack has a front dorsal that almost connects with the rear dorsal fin.

great fun on light gear fook well done. :thumbup:

Was that you on the Hornet trophy out there, saw you boys hooked up looked like fun, i managed a king on fly amongst the schools. Have heard there are plenty of macks around atm but that photo definitly looks like a frigate (gap in the dorsal fin). Got a bit rough out there for me in my 3.8m tinny headed into the harbour and found heaps of bonnies and kings, no legals though but fun on the long wand!

Was that you on the Hornet trophy out there, saw you boys hooked up looked like fun, i managed a king on fly amongst the schools. Have heard there are plenty of macks around atm but that photo definitly looks like a frigate (gap in the dorsal fin). Got a bit rough out there for me in my 3.8m tinny headed into the harbour and found heaps of bonnies and kings, no legals though but fun on the long wand!

Yeap, thats us!!!!!! we had a triple hook up at once. come say hi if u see me next time....

fook,

Yeap, thats us!!!!!! we had a triple hook up at once. come say hi if u see me next time....

fook,

Will do mate, sure looked like you were having fun saw the triple hook up. I hooked one but the hooks pulled, that first run is bloody fast.

See you out there sometime!

Cheers

Saro

sooooooooooooo.. i see peoples say.. have read on the forum

the diif between macks and figatos is the dorsal fin gap ( big = frigates ) and the spots ( 5 - macks) .. what do we figure with the last photo.

?

its goty 5 spot and had a big gap??

i say live bait either !!!

fook,

That's a top catch there. If you want to eat them look in the recipe section and try out the recipe I put up on how to cook bonnies very simple to follow yet very tasty.

Cheers Joe

Sent from Joe's iPhone using Tapatalk