New Reels

nosliw

Hello,

Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts regarding new reels and whether they should be oiled/greased in any particular places for preventative maintenance? If so, any advice would be much appreciated.

I haven't had as much time to fish lately and as a result have purchased 3 new reels. I want to keep them in tip top shape and was curious about pre-use maintenance.

Cheers,

G'day nosliw,

It depends on the reel and how well it's been prepped in the factory. There are some top name brand reels that come out of Malaysia that have been known to arrive with no lubrication in the bearings at all for example.

I usually open up every reel I buy and give it the slinky treatment before they hit the water. This can end up being anything from simply applying a couple of drops of oil or grease, through to completely stripping the reel down and cleaning & relubing everything.

The best way to think about it is to just be able to go fishing being 100% confident in the gear you're using.

Cheers, Slinky

• 1 month later...

G'day Pal,

I haven't pulled any of my reels apart yet but one thing i do do is spray with inox on the moving parts and take the spool off and spray a bit under there. Also before i fill a spool with line i spray the spool lightly also. It doesn't stop you cathing fish ( i'm proof of that ) and have been using it for 1 1/2 years now and no probs so far.

Cheers

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...