Trim and tilt troubles

Stanfo

Hi Raiders, tried to go fishing on the weekend but the trim and tilt on the motor carked it, just wouldn't respond. We put the boat back on the trailer and took the motor cover off and and found a black box between the two top cylinders (the motor is an evinrude 90 v4 from about 1986)inside that were box like fuses that clicked when we tried the trim button. Does this clicking meant there shot, if so will the local boat store have replacements and how much would they cost. if this isnt the problem any idea what else it could be?

thanks in advance

Stanfo

Hey mate. Im no expert, but are you sure what you were looking at were fuses? If they were clicking they sound more like relays. Relays can blow as well, but if they were relays (and clicking) I'd check for a problem beyond the relay. Maybe completely wrong, but just a thought. Cheers

Stanfo,

do you have a tilt limit switch on your motor?

I recently had a similar problem where my motor would trim down but not up.

thanks to Craig at Huett marine ( who diagnosed the problem over the phone ) the issue was identified as a faulty tilt limit switch.

Craig fixed the problem by bridging out the limit switch (as I do not need it on my boat), in about 5 minutes. Big thanks to Craig, looking after us as usual!.

You may have a different issue - but it might be worth looking at.

Stanfo,

do you have a tilt limit switch on your motor?

I recently had a similar problem where my motor would trim down but not up.

thanks to Craig at Huett marine ( who diagnosed the problem over the phone ) the issue was identified as a faulty tilt limit switch.

Craig fixed the problem by bridging out the limit switch (as I do not need it on my boat), in about 5 minutes. Big thanks to Craig, looking after us as usual!.

You may have a different issue - but it might be worth looking at.

thanks for the replies raiders, the motor doesn't have a seperate trim switch on the motor so i think it must be the fuses/relays. i hope its not something more terminal