finding gear shaft linkage

kingfishercam

Hi there again , not getting any feedback on my earlier post so i thought id pin-point my main question in a clearer way , Id like to disconnect the lower unit off my american make of mercury (2004 25hp)

My question is what is the corrrect process apart from just undoing the lower unit bolts???

Where and how do i find the gear shaft linkage????????? and should it be in neautral when i disconnect.

Thanks heaps for any response i can get.cam.

The linkage runs down the back of the leg and is just a splined shaft that goes into the lower unit. Should be a plastic guide that sits in the lower unit which sometimes will stay on the shaft. Careful not to loose it. I always put mine in gear only so I can spin the drive shaft with the prop. Makes it easier to feed back into the motor.

The linkage runs down the back of the leg and is just a splined shaft that goes into the lower unit. Should be a plastic guide that sits in the lower unit which sometimes will stay on the shaft. Careful not to loose it. I always put mine in gear only so I can spin the drive shaft with the prop. Makes it easier to feed back into the motor.

ok ill check it out. Is it the same for the american made model which i am working on? (gear shift is in the tiller itself). Thanks.cam.