Introduction to Kayaking

lukedfluke

Hey Guys,

I've waited a long time in anticipation but the moment has finally arrived that I received my new kayak. It is a Viking Nemo kayak set up with the full fish kit and bought from Dan at a shop Outdoors. I must say I love it so far, so I thought I'd share the fantastic last few days fishing I've had on my new baby.

The plan with the new yak was to finally actively target bream on lures and whiting on surface lures in the bay of my dad’s house, since I now had easy access to fish holding structure and moorings. I was relatively new to this form of fishing at this stage and had never caught a bream on a lure before.

I started fishing on Friday afternoon where i made my way to a nice little private beach at the end of the bay and spotted a large school of little bait schooled up and disturbed in the shallows. Then, underneath the school I spotted bream, whiting and a lonesome flatty I managed to take a snap of, after I managed to frighten it with my yak and see it shoot away.

V0xhc.jpg

Seeing these little baitfish, I pulled out my 3" watermelon pearl minnow and shortened it to 1" then I rigged it on a very light HWS TT jighead and started casting into the school of fish. Straight away I kept getting little nudges on the lure which I imagine were whiting when I finally got engulfed. Not a big fish but a nice flatty was netted.

vY2Xw.jpg

I kept catching 4 more of these fish almost every cast with two being legal and one very weirdly marked fish (guessing a bar tailed flatty?)

lUhug.jpg

After that the school moved to the edge of the little beach and the flatties turned into bream with a little 20cm fish being my first bream on a lure. Shortly after I picked up my first legal bream on a lure after noticing a line strike when my braid tightened on the drop. The fish went 26.5cm I was stoked.

1YaKP.jpg

After this, the bread and butter fish went quite as the baitfish school moved off the sandflats and into deeper water. Unfortunately that was the last fish of the day, but what an afternoon session nonetheless.

Saturday was a hot day and I thought I'd target some bream on harbodies and plastics. Once again I returned to the little beach for a fish and see if there was any bream still around. Unfortunately after many casts no fish were landed I thought I'd work the drop off of the flats. Surely enough a nice fish was waiting for me just below the drop off and my reel started singing. At first I thought it was a nice bream but then I felt the constant tell tale tail-beats of a trevally. Nice fish of 40cm

FJvch.jpg

Anyway, Due to the heat of the day I thought I’d have a little stop and swim for lunch at the little beach. After a refreshing swim I hopped on the yak and went for a bream fish. But I thought I’d work the deeper areas due to the sunny day and had a couple of casts with a blade at some of the many moorings in our bay and to my surprise on my second cast, my blade gets smashed. It was a nice fish too, plenty of uumph and great fun on 4lb gear especially with the impeeding structure. But surely enough the fish was landed with ease going 31cm and a few snaps were taken before release.

Pr7q1.jpg

Now that I’d found there were fish hidden under the moored boats feeding, I concentrated my efforts on them for the majority of the day and had a fantastic session. I ended up landing 4 more bream, all legal and released. All fish were caught on either SX40's, Halco Scorpions or Squidgy Wrigglers. Biggest fish going 29cm and the smallest a touch under 26cm.

pNuQH.jpg

zfdIq.jpg

That unfortunately was the end of the day but not before trying some surface whiting action with promising strikes and follows but no fish landed. The decision was made to target them the next day

Sunday was a long but worthwhile day where I wandered over to the next bay along of ours with a large expansive sandflat that looked great for whiting. The whole day was spent casting lures at whiting and bream from the shore of the flats using a Jaz Zappa and a Scumdog. Once again, I got a few follows and hits by whiting, bream and flathead, one whiting was actually hooked but pulled the hooks mid fight. From then, the day was long and slow as the sun came out strong and the conditions weren't great. So I thought I’d set up a bait rod with some peeled prawns while I kept trying with the surface lure. But I didn't have much time to fish the lure as fish were hitting the bait aggressively, most of which were undersized bream and one legal whiting.

59f6J.jpg

As the afternoon set in, the tide started to rise and the clouds crept in, conditions were perfect for a surface strike and I kept persisting with my Jaz Zappa as it received a fair bit of attention. Funnily enough, out of the blue and hours of casting, I get the surprise of my life when my lure gets walloped on the surface (massive explosion behind my lure) and I feel the powerful surge of a large fish. Now the blood started pumping as my reel starts screaming. But soon the fish was in sight and I was dying to get the absolute beast in the net! I had some reel tough moments but the fish was finally landed, a reaaal ELBOW SLAPPER of 44cm and I couldn’t believe it was my first whiting caught on the surface!

nzU4m.jpg

With that in the bag, I finished the day and weekend off on a great note on what was a superb fishing weekend. Big whiting fillets for Dinner! :D

Tight Lines

Great report tightlines, It's good to see a young fella that can actually spell & put a great story together too, well done mate!!

What about the colour & clarity of the water......makes me want to jump right in, do you mind telling which waterway is that ?

Great report tightlines, It's good to see a young fella that can actually spell & put a great story together too, well done mate!!

What about the colour & clarity of the water......makes me want to jump right in, do you mind telling which waterway is that ?

I'm sorry to disappoint you but that's Sydney Harbour, on a good day i guess? Mosman bay and sirius cove

That's a great report and some great fishing. You should get into journalism. By the way does the dog in the background fit in the yak? I think we have his twin brother. They love the water.

Mate, fishing journalism is exactly what i wan't to do as a career! and i've been having some practise lately and sending my reports to fishing world, I'd love for them to post my report on their site which they said they will! :D

Also, the beach i was fishing at was a dog beach so it just decided to sneak up behind me and pose for the camera, i think it was the dog of the guy who i asked to take a picture of me. So... unfortunately, not my dog.