Help with GPS question for weekend trip

Dezmo

Hi All,

I'm trying to put to co-ordinates for the peak fad into my gps. The fisheries site shows them as:

(18) Sydney East

33° 59.316'

151° 20.951'

It wont let me put in a decimal place for minutes but requires seconds. Is this conversion right???

33° 59'18"

151° 20'57"

Would greatly appreciate if somebody could confirm i'm doing the right thing or point me in the right direction!

Many thanks!

Hi All,

I'm trying to put to co-ordinates for the peak fad into my gps. The fisheries site shows them as:

(18) Sydney East

33° 59.316'

151° 20.951'

It wont let me put in a decimal place for minutes but requires seconds. Is this conversion right???

33° 59'18"

151° 20'57"

Would greatly appreciate if somebody could confirm i'm doing the right thing or point me in the right direction!

Many thanks!

60 seconds x .316 = 18.96 seconds. I'd round up to 19 seconds. You'll be closer to the mark than rounding down.

Otherwise your conversion looks fine to me.

According to a calculator, 1 second is only about 11 metres anyway... or maybe I got that one wrong haha

Bit more googling and the distance in one second is dependent on the latitude and altitude of the point, which makes sense. At the north and south pole the distance between a second is zero, at the equator it is the largest, and as altitude increases so does the distance.

Of course now it is just getting too complicated! Just round to the nearest whole second :1prop:

Edited by EmptyHooks