New Baitcaster

Geoff

I'm looking at purchasing a baitcaster reel & seek your advice.

I had one many years ago , an el chepo & spent more time undoing the birds nest on the spindle than fishing. Since then have been using spinning reels.

I've had a look on the net & the options , both in brands & models is huge.

Before visiting the tackle stores I would like to narrow the field with a proven product rather than having a sales person push their product of the month

What I would like is something under $250 to flick small / medium luers , perhaps around 3 - 4 kg line & not end up with a mess on the reel when the lure hits the water.

I understand some reels have a "sensor" that stops the reel spinning when the lure hits the water , is this correct??

Tks

Geoff

Hey mate,

With respect to "sensors" and overruns. I have spoken to a lot of tackle reps and they all go on about correct adjustment or friction and magnetic resistance etc etc. To optimise your cast distance you need as little resistance as possible but if you want to stop an overrun you need to increase the spool tension significantly and (especially on a light lure) you won't be able to cast far at all.

I have a good quality overhead reel and spin outfit forthe 6-12lb range. Since purchasing the spin outfit the overhead has stayed on the rod rack for over a year now due to improved cast distance and less worries.

My opinion if you have your heart set on a baitcaster is go with a well known brand and don't get pulled by "over-run free" gimmicks as you are better off using your thumb to control the spool.

Edited by fishmaniac

I got a daiwa excellor(i think) and love it. Got it off an auction site for about half the rrp. Also had a cheapy before that and it was rubbish. Got mine loaded with 20lb and mainly use it up north as an allrounder and couldn't be happier

Cheers Leo

i bought a pflueger president a while for flicking hardbodies around for bass and trout, everyone talks about improved cast accuracy/distance, but to be honest, a spin outfit casts just as far without worrying about overruns and is just far easier to use, i wouldnt bother with a baitcaster again given the quality of spin reels around now

G'day Geoff.

I've got the new Curado 200 e7.

Fantastic reel. I can cast a big plastic a mile without having to even thumb the spool when chasing barra. Low profile, light & tonka tough.

If you need something a bit slower then go for the e5.

Cheers,

Grant.

mate if your going to go for a traditional shaped bait caster, i have got a daiwa luna 300 which is absolutely awesome, so smooth and refined, great looking, great drag system and magnetic cast control. I also got a shimano calcutta in the 400 size which is also really good reel. Low profile i been using a daiwa d- cast which is excellect at flicking small soft plastics around. i use braid on all my bait casters. i have heard really good things on the daiwa TD SOL but i think its a bit expensive.

A great reel in your price range would be a small calcutta look on online shop you will get a good deal.

Cheers