North Head on the Stones

bennoz

Hi All

Quick report

Spent 2 Sundays in a row, fishing from the stones at old mans hat with a few fellow raiders. Weather was good, little wind and a NE swell provided calm conditions - that’s about where the good news ends.

Both weekends we were trying for kingies. Spinning metals, jigging soft plastics, floating yakkas and pillies.

Hardly any surface action what so ever, lots of little stripies nibbling out bait away, and barley a bite to speak of.

Just before we were about to pack up yesterday, the rod with a ganged pillie on it goes off and up comes a very nice 1.5-2kg bonnie, which put on a goot fight. 5 minutes later, the tail of my soft plastic got bitten off - then back to all quiet. We left 45min later right on dusk.

Was still good fun to get out of the house, get a line wet with good company.

Only thing missing was the fish !

Too bad you did not too well.Perhaps you should have tried for some blackfish and drummer while you were down there.Was there any blackfish and drummer around.I could always manage a few when I used to fish there but in recent years has not been as productive so I am told by other anglers.

Cheers Steve

Hi All

Quick report

Spent 2 Sundays in a row, fishing from the stones at old mans hat with a few fellow raiders. Weather was good, little wind and a NE swell provided calm conditions - that’s about where the good news ends.

Both weekends we were trying for kingies. Spinning metals, jigging soft plastics, floating yakkas and pillies.

Hardly any surface action what so ever, lots of little stripies nibbling out bait away, and barley a bite to speak of.

Just before we were about to pack up yesterday, the rod with a ganged pillie on it goes off and up comes a very nice 1.5-2kg bonnie, which put on a goot fight. 5 minutes later, the tail of my soft plastic got bitten off - then back to all quiet. We left 45min later right on dusk.

Bennoz, was a great day with great company and very nice to get out of the house... :biggrin2:

BUT!!!!

We are trying somewhere different next time! :tease::thumbup:

Old mans is getting old :074:

Hi All

Quick report

Hey Benoz,

I too was down old mans sunday morning from 5.30am to about 7.30 i spent the early part of the morning spining with a 30 g halco for total of (1) bonito :thumbdown: lucky i had a back up plan targeting bream down there in 1 of the washes and finished up with five bream the best one going 42 cm caught on unwaighted salted bonito strips.

Hey Benoz,

I too was down old mans sunday morning from 5.30am to about 7.30 i spent the early part of the morning spining with a 30 g halco for total of (1) bonito :thumbdown: lucky i had a back up plan targeting bream down there in 1 of the washes and finished up with five bream the best one going 42 cm caught on unwaighted salted bonito strips.

Hey spinman, do the stripies hang around the wash?

I had the issue that whenever I sent any bait out, those little piranhas demolished me in seconds? I tried all areas and they were swarming everywhere....

Little shits! :ranting2:

Hey Velveteenrabbit,

Those little pickers can be a real pest and if the pickers are finding your bait before the Bream are after 5 mins the chances are the bream are not there so move.If the bream are in your next chosen back wash they will pounce on a bait within seconds so keep moving the bream are always were you find them.I am also sure you were fishing the main platform at old mans try the southern end off the main platform.

( BUT ONLY IN A SWELL OF 1 METER AND UNDER AS THIS SPOT IS VERY EXPOSED & DANGEROUS IN A SOUTH OR SOUTHEAST SWELL ) make sure you have cleats on and a mate with you. Good Luck

thx spinman - some good advice. will try that next time

to be honest we were really targeting kingies and the odd bonnie or two.

didnt really think of going for something else - will do next time :biggrin2:

If your looking for bonito, look no further than Balmain. The bonito are right up the harbor. Have seen them on the surface as far back as Gladesville Bridge. But biggest schools of Longeville Sailing Club and Birchgrove/Balmain.

Will take anything and have got some up to 3kgs.

Hey Velveteenrabbit,

Those little pickers can be a real pest and if the pickers are finding your bait before the Bream are after 5 mins the chances are the bream are not there so move.If the bream are in your next chosen back wash they will pounce on a bait within seconds so keep moving the bream are always were you find them.I am also sure you were fishing the main platform at old mans try the southern end off the main platform.

( BUT ONLY IN A SWELL OF 1 METER AND UNDER AS THIS SPOT IS VERY EXPOSED & DANGEROUS IN A SOUTH OR SOUTHEAST SWELL ) make sure you have cleats on and a mate with you. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice spinman, those little pickers are as ravenous as piranhas :1yikes:

If the swell is south or southeast above 2 meters I won't be fishing, I'd rather be surfing winki and deadmans round the corner :yahoo: