Good day offshore

plankton

A good day offshore!

Yakked out quickly on Fri night for a super early Saturday session (sick of being runner-up to the marks, and after last time ...., arrived to find cowboys doing doughnuts around the FAD (on a 'Boab' Hire boat - hopefully won't see it again) a sleep-in wasn't worth the risk.

Water is iridescent blue a mile east of the heads. The currents are in close and have Marlin written all over them. It seems the fish are from the mile beyond. After targeting Dollies with livies, Pillies and skirts for a few bubbus we decided to troll some heavier gear North for a few miles inside the shelf, trying for something descent.

Nudda.., but a fish would of only been a bonus (in conditions as good as those). Is there anything better than feeling like the only boat on the Ocean, a cool seabreeze, sun shining and next to know swell! Thanks Ben for a top day out once again.

post-3217-004113400 1298851304_thumb.jpg

post-3217-005605000 1298851314_thumb.jpg

Tight lines, Brett

A good day offshore!

Yakked out quickly on Fri night for a super early Saturday session (sick of being runner-up to the marks, and after last time ...., arrived to find cowboys doing doughnuts around the FAD (on a 'Boab' Hire boat - hopefully won't see it again) a sleep-in wasn't worth the risk.

Water is iridescent blue a mile east of the heads. The currents are in close and have Marlin written all over them. It seems the fish are from the mile beyond. After targeting Dollies with livies, Pillies and skirts for a few bubbus we decided to troll some heavier gear North for a few miles inside the shelf, trying for something descent.

Nudda.., but a fish would of only been a bonus (in conditions as good as those). Is there anything better than feeling like the only boat on the Ocean, a cool seabreeze, sun shining and next to know swell! Thanks Ben for a top day out once again.

post-3217-004113400 1298851304_thumb.jpg

post-3217-005605000 1298851314_thumb.jpg

Tight lines, Brett

Nice one Brett, And you're always welcome mate. Even though my first dollie was a baby it was still awesome to see their amazing colours and even tho it was a small dollie you can see from the photo and they way that I'm holding it, he had alot to say when pulled out of the water. hopefully next time we'll get something more substantial, a couple of Bulls would be right on the cards.!

arrived to find cowboys doing doughnuts around the FAD (on a 'Boab' Hire boat - hopefully won't see it again)

Hi Brett,

Unless there was another Boab hire boat out at a different FAD on Saturday then you would have been referring to the boat I was on (at Sydney North FAD around lunchtime). If indeed it was us, I take a little offence at being called cowboys as we're all serious fishos, although normally from kayaks rather than boats. What was it that you thought we were doing wrong? The only other boat we saw out there (presuming it was you) stayed a good half a mile or more away from the FAD so I can't imagine could see what we were doing.

Incidentally we too managed a few undersized dollies on livies and pille cubes by setting up a drift past the FAD and burleying on each pass. After the birds arrived and made this too difficult we did a few wide "doughnuts" around the FAD trolling skirts and divers but they wouldn't respond. We found a few more at the traps too but only managed one there. We jigged 9-mile and only found baracouta so resorted to chasing bonnies back in pittwater. Great conditions out there though, just a shame the dollies were not there in larger numbers/sizes

Paul

Hi Paul,

Re-read my post. "Last time" past tense (time before)(date not specified).

The gentleman found to be doing circles of the FAD (on that past occasion) were reminded of boating courtesy.

Please accept my apologies for not communicating myself properley.

Nice work on the Dollies. Shame about the birds. They can spoil things.

Brett.

Hi Brett,

Appreciate the clarification, thanks for that (though it was my fault for not reading properly!) (Un)fortunately the Boab hire is so well set up and affordable now that offshore marks are easily accessible to first timers, so I'm not surprised you encountered some bad etiquete previosuly. It was in fact my first time out to the FAD's too (though not for the others on the boat) so to be able to get into a few dollies was amazing. Glad you managed to get into a few too! And the water colour out there is just unbelievable huh?

Paul

Hi Brett,

Sounds like a good day out. I love getting out offshore and just the thought of being in with a chance at a big fish makes it worthwhile. Mind you I am still pretty thick when it comes to blue water fishing. Oh well at least I now have a rod that might land a descent fish when the day happens. Hope to get out this weekend and troll some lures. It sure is a steep learning curve after MH.

Cheers

Mike

I spose I'd better prepare myself for when the culprits do read this thread, though that was good practice haha.

Paul the colour of the water is perfect. You can travel for miles looking for it. If you get a temp break as well, even better. The fish won't be far away!

Mike hope your getting into a few. If u font already know about it, there is a reliable slimy spot not far from X. I'll PM ya. The Jews love slabs of it fresh.

Brett.