third time lucky, MARLIN!

batty

Hi all,

I've had the use of a mates boat since christmas and finally on friday got our first Marlin,

(black i think although picture looks more like a stripe)about 80kgs.

This was the third strike we have had from a marlin, first was a few weeks ago busted off after about 20 seconds on 15kg, second didn't hook up a few weeks later. And have since learnt about speeding up to help set the hook so this time i gunned it and we were on.

Was out fishing with a young fella who i only met that morning and we had a BALL!!!!

Took us a bit over 2 hours to finally hold on to it and get the hooks out (yes hooks as it already had one in it).

We had a few troubles tracing it in as we have never done it before and it took about 5 attempts. each time the fish got spooked and took off so we had to drop it.

Was the best day fishing of my life!!!

Only things bad were i forgot a glove tried to grab it and it ripped my had up a bit so had to use a jumper. Then when we were about to let him go we both got a blue bottle all over our hands!!!!!! OUCH

Still a GREAT Day. We had another hit also but didn't hook up. just did one jump and that was it.

post-9478-097312000 1298864464_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

I've had the use of a mates boat since christmas and finally on friday got our first Marlin,

This was the third strike we have had from a marlin, first was a few weeks ago busted off after about 20 seconds on 15kg, second didn't hook up a few weeks later. And have since learnt about speeding up to help set the hook so this time i gunned it and we were on.

Was out fishing with a young fella who i only met that morning and we had a BALL!!!!

Took us a bit over 2 hours to finally hold on to it and get the hooks out (yes hooks as it already had one in it).

We had a few troubles tracing it in as we have never done it before and it took about 5 attempts. each time the fish got spooked and took off so we had to drop it.

Only things bad were i forgot a glove tried to grab it and it ripped my had up a bit so had to use a jumper. Then when we were about to let him go we both got a blue bottle all over our hands!!!!!! OUCH

Still a GREAT Day. We had another hit also but didn't hook up. just did one jump and that was it.

Great catch and improvisation with the jumper. What lure did the damage, was it shot gun, short corner, long coner, etc.

Hi all,

Here's a short vid.

th_marlincapture.jpg

Well done Batty, was it caught on a skirt or a diver and yep mate do keep a pair of gloves in the boat, they say the beak carries alot of bacteria so becarfull you don't get cut. Went out there myself for a chance yesterday since there has been a few reports but no luck and came back in due to weather being a bit hey you going. Cheers cg.

Got it on a 11" skirt east coast pusher and have had all hits on ones with yellow in them. Maybe thats why my hand still hurts as it got me pretty good the first time i tried to grab it.

Steve.