Convert my saltist to mono?

Little Hooker

Hey fisho,

Been doin some thinking and i want to convert my saltist 50 o/h which has 60lb braid to 40lb mono which ive been told that could fit 300mtrs. My only reason for me to do this is im sick of leather jackets eating my braid when i chuck a livie out to the bottom. The bloke at the tackle store reckons they will eat the mono aswell?? Also heard mono is more suitable for troll due to the stretch on mono but im thinkin if one day i do happen to hook up to that 100kg marlin would it be enough line so i dont get spooled??

Yay or nay??

cheers, LH

Edited by Little Hooker

Hi LH

The mono will give you a softer fight due to line stretch and less pulled hooks. Why not go to 15kg mono in a fine diamerer line this will give you heaps of line capacity and marlin are landed on 15kg mono all the time.

I only use the braid for offshore bottom bouncing or in snaggy estuaries where I need to try and stop fish straight away.

Hookerbruce

Hookerbruce, I could go 15kg but most of the times i tend to go for kings at reefs and i would think 15kg wont stop them fast enough. Thats why im opting for abit heavier to run that slight heavier drag with losing to much line capacity. All my gear has braid so thats probably why i could swap to mono if it was worth the swap.

Framed, I have hi-vs yellow, low-vi green and we even had red braid last yr and it still got picked at. "start fishing some grounds that are not full of jackets" wanna show me some?? :biggrin2:

sure these grounds are always productive for me

dont think ive ever been biten off by a jacket here

its one of my best spots so please dont tell too many people about it

Edited by Framedtrash

Hey mate,

I run pretty much all my gear mono, sure you loose capacity, but if your angling from a boat if you get into a tight spot loosing too much line would you not be able to chase the fish down? Just my opinion. If you have other reels to take the place of your saltist as you said then what's the harm in trying?

dont think ive eaten been biten off by a jacket here

:074: :074: :074: :074: :074: I was thinking this is too good to be true.

Hey mate,

I run pretty much all my gear mono, sure you loose capacity, but if your angling from a boat if you get into a tight spot loosing too much line would you not be able to chase the fish down? Just my opinion. If you have other reels to take the place of your saltist as you said then what's the harm in trying?

hi there im new at this but can anyone tell me a or give me good gps marks for long reef after kings or snapper thanks.

Hey mate,

Very valid point there... No harm i guess just -$30 from the wallet :biggrin2: .

dont think ive ever been biten off by a jacket here

I was about to look but from some comments i guess i wont.... :wacko:

hi there im new at this but can anyone tell me a or give me good gps marks for long reef after kings or snapper thanks.

http://www.wollongonggfc.com/index.htm take your pick

Edited by Little Hooker