ADVICE 1st BOAT!

reeseman

Hey Raiders,

I need some advice on buying my first run about. I recently got my boat license and cant wait to get out on the water. What im after is a 12ft tinnie, aluminium. And something like a 10hp engine. Im not sure if im missing out on anything else important but basically im after a run about that i can just take myself and one friend in, just targeting fish in the bays and creeks. Any tips or points you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards Reeseman.

Hey Raiders,

I need some advice on buying my first run about. I recently got my boat license and cant wait to get out on the water. What im after is a 12ft tinnie, aluminium. And something like a 10hp engine. Im not sure if im missing out on anything else important but basically im after a run about that i can just take myself and one friend in, just targeting fish in the bays and creeks. Any tips or points you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards Reeseman.

Just a thought, have a look at a little v nose punt. I had a tinnie years back and it was very unstable. I have a v nose punt now and love it.

Hey Raiders,

Kind Regards Reeseman.

hey mate,

tinnies are great fun and way to learn the water......it wont take long for you to want a new, bigger and better variety though lol. You havnt stated whether you want new or second hand???

assuming second hand........just be patient and look for ages(you can always hire tinnies in meantime), you will know which one to get trust me. i looked for like 1 year till i found a reasonably good hull and almost brand new 15hp yamaha outboard(1.5 years old with receipt!!! and had been used two times - first service i did revealed that the guy was legitimate with what he told me bout the outboard - used twice but freshwater started once a week). ALWAYS get the owner to start the outboard for you when you look at it - a great indication of how often it is used and/or how long it has been sitting there unstarted sometimes not even fuel drained and flushed after last use - you can taste it in the water that the outboards expel.

even if the hull looks like crap, nothing a grinder, some elbow grease and a few weekends off the water wont fix.

dont rush out and get the first you look at or one that you say that will do to.......there are some genuine buys out there and bargains to.

good luck with it mate and hope this helps out

mick

few photo's of the tinnie(paid $2000 for it). took bout three weeks to transform it (bare metal respray both boat and trailer) and come up awesome(still have it too) and one of new boat

post-10641-020171700 1299103058_thumb.jpg

post-10641-007127100 1299103081_thumb.jpg

post-10641-005544400 1299103316_thumb.jpg

post-10641-079439800 1299103384_thumb.jpg

What is your budget because we have some good first boats here at present, but we do not trade junk so if you are looking at only spending a few grand that can get you alot of trouble.

Cheers,

Huey.

What is your budget because we have some good first boats here at present, but we do not trade junk so if you are looking at only spending a few grand that can get you alot of trouble.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey Huey thanks for the reply, I'm after a a 12ft v nose punt i reckon, i have an old 10hp motor so im looking for something fairly light too. hahaha im afraid my budget isint that high atm, but i am looking for just the boat.

I'm after a a 12ft v nose punt i reckon,

This would be a good choice as stability , when at rest , is very important. Avoid boats in the 12ft range where the bottom is not flat or near flat at the transom.

Geoff

I'll try to remember that cheers Geoff. I've seen a nice 12 ft boat with trailer and 15 hp outboard plus some other stuff for 2k dunno if it's legit but I'm gonna look into it. It has a casting deck which is cool as I love throwing lures around

Guest Aussie007

post up a picture of the boat before u commit to it i have seen old shagged out tinnys worth $500 reborn and resold for $3500 last summer and had actually been listed a few times reaching the same price over and over untill the last person actually paid for it :wacko: ive had a few tinnys over the years my cheapest was a 9 footer with a 4hp evinrude no trailer i paid $500 for it i have also had another tinny that i bought for $700 this was 12 foot old style dehaviland 8hp tohatsu older than me i think :biggrin2: months ago i sold one of my boats it was a allycraft 12.6 footer 20hp johnson new trailer for $1600 out of all the tinnys ive owned i preferred the allycraft only because it was a deep V hull the sides came up a decent height to the rear bench seat so i felt comfortable in open waters in swell and chop where as the older tinnys were pretty hairy at moments and keep in mind 12 foot tinnys are comfortable with 2 people 3 gets a bit crowded the ass end sinks a lot if 2 sit at the rear and if u have 2 sitting at the front u have to be cautious of wake from other boats while underway ideally u want to look for the widest and deepest hull dont be afraid if buying online to email sellers asking them to measure the width of there boats the best is a horizon brand 3.75 tinny it has a beam of 1.8m but are hard to find second hand the allycraft are more available but are 1.6m wide and older 1970's model tinnys are 1.4m wide and have shallow hulls and another thing make sure it is already registered because light tinny trailers and tinnys dont need year inspections to keep them registered u just pay the yearly fee so if the last person hasnt transferred it into his name you will have troubles and will eventually end up reselling it to recover your money and always use www.revs.nsw.gov.au to check any boat or trailer your interested in purchasing