Whats the best knot to use when connecting braid to spool backing

tumra

Hey guys,

Currently i have connected braid to monofiliament backing on my spool using an albright knot. Its a fairly strong knot though i am finding that the braid catches on the ends of the knot and fouls up the cast. I am looking at putting on new braid on my reels. Can anyone suggest a knot i can use that doesnt have ends in which the braid can catch onto?

Thanks

Anthony

use an Arbor knot to tie mono to the spool. Wind on the mono as backing

tie the braid to the mono using a blood knot - very simple, effective, small and stays straight.

there will be so much braid on top of the blood knot that chances are it will never see the light of day anyway

Hey guys,

Currently i have connected braid to monofiliament backing on my spool using an albright knot. Its a fairly strong knot though i am finding that the braid catches on the ends of the knot and fouls up the cast. I am looking at putting on new braid on my reels. Can anyone suggest a knot i can use that doesnt have ends in which the braid can catch onto?

Thanks

Anthony

I'd work your albright really tight, and get that tag end really short. When you're spooling up the reel watch to see if the albright is in a position that may catch, and align it to cause you no grief. IMO you only need a bit of mono backing with modern reels, therefore your albright should be deep and out of the way.

I've had the same problem years back, and that's how I dealt with it.

Hope that helps.

Mick

Hey guys,

Thanks

Anthony

Use a slim beauty knot the tags point to the other way then the albright and is a much slimmer knot therefore it cast alot better than the albright knot.

Use a slim beauty knot the tags point to the other way then the albright and is a much slimmer knot therefore it cast alot better than the albright knot.

I agree slim beauty is the way to go, never failed me and doesnt effect the casting.

Thanks alot for the advice guys. I'll give the slim beauty a go. The know issue happens mostly on my 2500 and 3000 size reels where you cant bed down the knot under alot of braid as there isnt enough capacity in the spool for it.

thanks again.

As your knot is going onto the reel, put it at the bottom of the spool so it wont catch on anything plus if there is a lump in the line sitting over the top of the knot, it will be at the bottom so it shouldnt effect casting.

Greg

As your knot is going onto the reel, put it at the bottom of the spool so it wont catch on anything plus if there is a lump in the line sitting over the top of the knot, it will be at the bottom so it shouldnt effect casting.

Greg

I only know how to tie a double uni-knot. Does anyone else use them? I went to a soft plastics with Gary Brown one night at a local tackle shop and as far as i'm concerned, if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.

The key is making sure you always lick the knot for a bit of lubrication, then a good little tug to make sure it does slide when you get a fish on. A sharp pair of braid scissors is always a necessity so you can trim the tags down as close as possible to the main body of the knot. If you do this, i doubt any other knots you do are going to be any smoother through the guides.

As for the mono backing to the main braid. Just put it under heaps of braid.

I fish with a stradic ci4 2500 and have 125 yards of braid on it, and under that some dirt cheap mono. I haven't seen the knot since it tied it on the day i bought my new reel.

I only every fish for table fish, so if i ever get spooled, it will be because of a serious bycatch.

What do you fish for? the 71cm Flatty i caught yesterday was lucky to get about 30m of line of me and that's with 3lb braid and 6lb leader.

Edited by JET01

Hi guys!

Aprox 2 years ago, I was over in Japan getting new braid on my 4000 spool, where he tied the mono backing to the braid, he got a very small piece of sticky tape (aprox 10mm x 5mm) and put it over the knot. Then continued to put the braid on. Didn't think much of it at the time, just thought it was different.

Recently at the beach casting metal lures, I could start to see the mono backing! (time for new braid! $$$). On one of the cast it reached the sticky tape part and stopped! Thinking if I'd take it off it would go further!! Big mistake! Couldn't cast it anymore! Before taking the tape off, I was getting 60 meters no problems. Now I couldn't get past 5-10 meters! Kept on hitting the knot! Had to call it a day as it was very frustrating!

Now I understand why he put the tape on...

Solution: use tape over the knot!

Hope that helps

Phil

Edited by ishuffle

Hi guys!

Aprox 2 years ago, I was over in Japan getting new braid on my 4000 spool, where he tied the mono backing to the braid, he got a very small piece of sticky tape (aprox 10mm x 5mm) and put it over the knot. Then continued to put the braid on. Didn't think much of it at the time, just thought it was different.

Recently at the beach casting metal lures, I could start to see the mono backing! (time for new braid! $$$). On one of the cast it reached the sticky tape part and stopped! Thinking if I'd take it off it would go further!! Big mistake! Couldn't cast it anymore! Before taking the tape off, I was getting 60 meters no problems. Now I couldn't get past 5-10 meters! Kept on hitting the knot! Had to call it a day as it was very frustrating!

Now I understand why he put the tape on...

Solution: use tape over the knot.

Ive been doing this for years works extremely well, no more braid getting stuck on the knot, I actually use the sticky piece of tape that holds the braid on the spool packaging, cheers Justin.