Kurnell boat ramp

ross patti

Hi there Raiders,

Just wondering if a local raider can give me the low-down on the ramp at Kurnell.

I have a small 4WD, so a bit of sand isn't too much worry. Is the ramp concrete, sand or what ?

I'd guess that there is a beach next to the ramp that you can pull the boat up on to while you park the car ??

Any other info or tips appreciated.

Thanks . . Rosco

Its very shallow, It might be difficult launching a boat any longer than 4.5 metres in length. I have seen some guys jackknife the trailer too one side to gain a bit of extra depth.

Good Luck,

Cheers,

Thommo

Rosco, I remember using it a while back it was a very shallow ramp we had the car almost half in trying to get the boat off, There is sand to leave your boat on. Be a awesome ramp if they did it up. Heaps of parking. Hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Livebait!!

Bad ramp at low tide, you have to put trailer off the side and getting in and out from the ramp is very shallow also and all weed beds.

We used to use it when launching a rescue boat years ago for a sailing club and it was a pain in the butt to use.

Also it's quite muddy and you'll sink in it half up to your knees.

Hi there Raiders,

Just wondering if a local raider can give me the low-down on the ramp at Kurnell.

I have a small 4WD, so a bit of sand isn't too much worry. Is the ramp concrete, sand or what ?

I'd guess that there is a beach next to the ramp that you can pull the boat up on to while you park the car ??

Any other info or tips appreciated.

Thanks . . Rosco

Hi rosco

The ramp is concrete with a beach alongside it.

I've worked out I can launch about 3 hours before high tide and take it out up to 2hrs after high tide without to much trouble.

I have a 5.6m half cab. But I also launch at Como ramp which a lot of people don't do.

Bruce

Its very shallow, It might be difficult launching a boat any longer than 4.5 metres in length. I have seen some guys jackknife the trailer too one side to gain a bit of extra depth.

Good Luck,

Cheers,

Thommo

Thommo's on to it! At lowish water level it can be a b#tch of a ramp,but it can be done.If your looking down the ramp,jacknife the boat to the right(east side)of the ramp.If it's very low,what we do is slowly push the boat off the trailer so the bottom of the transon hits the sand,then get a mate to SLOWLY drive the car and trailer away while holding the boat.Like Thommo said also,i wouldnt try it with anything over 4.5 metres,especially at low tide.You should be sweet with the 4wd though mate.

Cheer's,

Adam.

Thanks for the replies.

That's what I love about Fishraider. Obsessed crazy fishermen helping out other obsessed crazy fishermen :thumbup:

I reckon I'll give it a crack this weekend . . . the tides look good to launch on the 3/4 rising tide, and retrieve a couple of hours on the run out.

Once I'm there, I can suss it out further.

Thanks again for the help.

Rosco.

Oh,1 more thing.Take it slow when backing down and driving back up the ramp.It's made of concrete slabs and can bounce the boat around a bit if driving too fast.It's not that bad a ramp with some water,just a bit hard at the lows.

Good luck with it mate.