22lb + Snapper

checch

Hey Guys, just ran a trip down South Oz last weekend, Although the snapper season is slowing we still got a few big snapper.

Went out two days with a charter, ran 30-40miles out into the gulf. Awesome weather for the two days.

Biggest went 22+lbs and 98cm , next biggest was 87cm, and got a couple around that mark. also nearly bagged out on King George Whiting biggest going 54cm and 1.5kg it was a ripper.

anyway thought id upload some photos.

Cheers.

post-10339-010621600 1300844369_thumb.jpg

post-10339-064458900 1300844425_thumb.jpg

post-10339-058923200 1300844751_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys, just ran a trip down South Oz last weekend, Although the snapper season is slowing we still got a few big snapper.

Went out two days with a charter, ran 30-40miles out into the gulf. Awesome weather for the two days.

Biggest went 22+lbs and 98cm , next biggest was 87cm, and got a couple around that mark. also nearly bagged out on King George Whiting biggest going 54cm and 1.5kg it was a ripper.

anyway thought id upload some photos.

Cheers.

mate could you do some catch'n'release?

Catch in South Oz and release into Botany Bay?

Jeez mate they're top reds.

Wish we had them on tap here....

Any photos of the big KG ?

Tony

Mate would have loved to release the big fella but they just dont survive, its weird, only 28-30m of water and there stomachs blow up big time, very different to Sydney where I pull snapper from similar depths and there fine.

Im still chasing up more photos, there just photos I took with my phone, will add soon.

I,m about to leave for another trip down too Whyalla in Soth Australia, this will be my third trip. The fishing is amazing, with our bigest to date at just over 9 kg's. We fish for 5 days and haven't missed a day due to bad weather yet, this time of the year is most probably the best as the winds are not to bad. The trips are reasonably priced as well, the costs are $170.00 each per day maximum 6 fisherman per boat and you can include accommodation for an extra $30.00 per day each (3 in a room). We fish with Whyalla Fishing Adventures (Darren) is the charter operators name, he is a champion bloke and he also managers the Westlands Hotel/Motel where you stay for for the trip.

Most of the fish are caught in less than 15 metres of water and we have never missed out on bagging out on the bigger fish. They manage the fishery pretty well with a maximum of 6 fish over 60 cm's per boat and 30 smaller fish between 38 cm's and 60 cm as well.

Cheers,

Thommo

• 2 weeks later...

Arrived back from Whyalla yesterday afternoon after about 16 hours sitting behind the wheel of the cruiser carrying a 320 litre freezer full of fillets to be shared between 11 of us, what a fantastic week of fishing. We bagged out every day on fish over 60 cm's (average about 6 - 7 Kg's) but the smaller fish were a bit hard to find. I was lucky enough to catch a monster at 11.1 Kg's and 1 metre in length, when I have a chance to get a few photos together I will post a couple.

The snapper fishing in South Australia must be second to none in this country.

At one stage we had a 15 foot white pointer circle the boat 3 or 4 times, amazing too see this beast about 6 foot from the boat and looking right at you. Lucky the we weren't catching fish at that stage or we would have lost them for sure as we had done on the first trip 3 years ago.

Someone had best give me a idea on how to post pictures as I don't have a clue.

Cheers,

Thommo