HOW TO: Mullet For Bait

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

Just wanted to know if anyone could help me out here.

I want to know how to catch mullet for bait. I see them jumping all over the river when im fishing locally, and if I could catch bait here would be awesome but then never jump on my hook. But then again i dont know really how to go about targetting these fish. Ive heard its bread but I dont know the rigs and what not so I dont bother. Do i use a float setup ? If so how do i go about making a float setup ? Also the hook size's, bait and anything I need to catch these fish.

Cheers,

Jez

There are many types of Mullet. Some bite in salt water and some dont.

The type that you are most likley seeing are Sea Mullet and they run from fresh water to salt every year. They do not bite in salt water often and would be hard to catch. They school up this time of year prior to their annual spawning run.

The smaller mullet or what i would call (lano mullet) will bite in salt water. Berly with bread fish with a float and about a No8 hook. If they are feeding on the bread then you shoud not have to much trouble catching them. Althought i find it takes a while to get the first one then after that its ok.

Cheers

Kingpig

Hi Jez

Just use bait trap with lot of bread in it. You will get 40 -50 in 10 to 20 Min’s

It you want to use hook’s same hooks what you use for Yellow Tails 8 or 10. With float on the top.

For Bait use bread. I prefer no sinker.

Th

Bigking

hey guys, just on a side note, do mullet eat prawns?

I wouldnt think so, they only have small herbivore type mouths,, perhaps if u had tiny bits on a hook you could score one just like Blackfish will eat small worms .

There are many types of Mullet. Some bite in salt water and some dont.

The type that you are most likley seeing are Sea Mullet and they run from fresh water to salt every year. They do not bite in salt water often and would be hard to catch. They school up this time of year prior to their annual spawning run.

The smaller mullet or what i would call (lano mullet) will bite in salt water. Berly with bread fish with a float and about a No8 hook. If they are feeding on the bread then you shoud not have to much trouble catching them. Althought i find it takes a while to get the first one then after that its ok.

Cheers

Kingpig

Ok sweet as so basically like a blackfish float setup would do the trick with some bread on the end? Yeah i wanted to know how to catch these to use as bait, how do they go about as bait?

Cheers fellaz

Hey Jez,

As mentioned in this forum, my 2 most effective ways of catching mullet are using a floating rig on my egi gear. This rig consists of an adjustable plastic float (small size) which is suspending approx 40-50cm of fishing line with a small mosquito hook attatched. I use peices of bread or dough. I think the key to get them to start biting is bread as berley, i mostly get my mullet from the georges river because there collosal lol and its hard to get them to start biting, but as soon as they start feeding on berly, they usually take your bait. Big Mullet are also good fun on light gear. My other method is using a bait trap, i havent found this very effective in the Georges but in places like Minamurra river or Lake Munmorah this is a gun tactic which heaps of peices of bread in there, i mean almost full of bread and the mullet come in numbers.

This is the beginning of the mullet season hence the recent shark attacks and increased sightings, so you should see plenty of people on the water fishing for them, use their tactics and you will have more success on the day.

Ive found in different places mullet respond differently to baits/rigs/fishing methods. Another example of this is Windang where i see groups of people using extremely long pole like fishing rods with only a guide on the tip and no reel and just bob a float with bread and lift it up when mullet bite. And they clean up over there.

You can often catch many mullet in your bait trap, just remember to take only what you need.

Cheers, Predator

Hi Jez

Just use bait trap with lot of bread in it. You will get 40 -50 in 10 to 20 Min’s

It you want to use hook’s same hooks what you use for Yellow Tails 8 or 10. With float on the top.

For Bait use bread. I prefer no sinker.

Th

Bigking

What type of trap are we talking here? Also where would I go to get one ?

Cheers mate

Hey Jez,

As mentioned in this forum, my 2 most effective ways of catching mullet are using a floating rig on my egi gear. This rig consists of an adjustable plastic float (small size) which is suspending approx 40-50cm of fishing line with a small mosquito hook attatched. I use peices of bread or dough. I think the key to get them to start biting is bread as berley, i mostly get my mullet from the georges river because there collosal lol and its hard to get them to start biting, but as soon as they start feeding on berly, they usually take your bait. Big Mullet are also good fun on light gear. My other method is using a bait trap, i havent found this very effective in the Georges but in places like Minamurra river or Lake Munmorah this is a gun tactic which heaps of peices of bread in there, i mean almost full of bread and the mullet come in numbers.

This is the beginning of the mullet season hence the recent shark attacks and increased sightings, so you should see plenty of people on the water fishing for them, use their tactics and you will have more success on the day.

Ive found in different places mullet respond differently to baits/rigs/fishing methods. Another example of this is Windang where i see groups of people using extremely long pole like fishing rods with only a guide on the tip and no reel and just bob a float with bread and lift it up when mullet bite. And they clean up over there.

You can often catch many mullet in your bait trap, just remember to take only what you need.

Cheers, Predator

yeah i know what you mean by collosal mullet, these things are huge in the georges !!! Well ill set this up on a small black fish float, berley up with heapz of bread should I use a bit of tuna oil in it as well? Also I use rabbit pellets as berley for bream, but i notice when i use this to berley for bream the mullet go skitz literally school 1 - 2 metres infront of us, but my issue is will they eat the bread after the rabbit pellets?

yeah i know what you mean by collosal mullet, these things are huge in the georges !!! Well ill set this up on a small black fish float, berley up with heapz of bread should I use a bit of tuna oil in it as well? Also I use rabbit pellets as berley for bream, but i notice when i use this to berley for bream the mullet go skitz literally school 1 - 2 metres infront of us, but my issue is will they eat the bread after the rabbit pellets?

If you grind the rabbit pellets into powder they will eat it. To do this, putting them under a reasonable amount of heat or in the sun to get the moisture out then grind them into powder, dispersement wise its much better as it travels further but keep some peices in there. If the mullet are interested in the burley, that means there hungry and will be more inclined to take your bait. I havent used tuna oil for them, my reasoning behind it is mullet arent nessecarily predatory and i dont think they eat fish. MAYBE putting the smell of an almost apex predator in the water will put fear in them and turn them off the bite? i dont know if thats a fact, but i have always worried about that when im fishing for mullet lol. Jez just try everything until you find something works but all the stuff in this particular thread should see you catching plenty of mullet.

save some for me!! lol

Cheers, Stan

If you grind the rabbit pellets into powder they will eat it. To do this, putting them under a reasonable amount of heat or in the sun to get the moisture out then grind them into powder, dispersement wise its much better as it travels further but keep some peices in there. If the mullet are interested in the burley, that means there hungry and will be more inclined to take your bait. I havent used tuna oil for them, my reasoning behind it is mullet arent nessecarily predatory and i dont think they eat fish. MAYBE putting the smell of an almost apex predator in the water will put fear in them and turn them off the bite? i dont know if thats a fact, but i have always worried about that when im fishing for mullet lol. Jez just try everything until you find something works but all the stuff in this particular thread should see you catching plenty of mullet.

save some for me!! lol

Cheers, Stan

Thanks Stan and everyone else who posted some knowledge. Makes it easier for me now when I head out this afternoon to try and get a few for bait later on in the week.

Thanks guys and Ill make a report tomorrow and get some pix of how I go tonight !

Cheers,

Jez