Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I always find it difficult to sleep the night before a fishing trip. Well, I was up at 3am and just couldn’t get back to sleep again, so I decided to get my gear together and make my way to the Blue Mountains. Today, I had planned to fish Thompson’s Creek Dam with a friend of mine, who I will call Flycaster. I got to the dam just after 6am and started fishing, hoping to get a fish or two before Flycaster arrived. I’ve never had much luck fly fishing the dam, so I had brought my spinning outfit and started throwing Tassie devils. As the sun showed up on the horizon, fish were rising to a hatch of very small spinners. I geared up my fly rod and searched my fly box to find a fly to match the hatch. Unfortunately I just didn’t have a fly that reassembled the small spinner. After throwing a number of flies at the rises, I gave up and went back to the Tassie devil. At this time, I was joined by my friend Flycaster. It didn’t take long, and shortly after Flycaster arrived my Tassie devil was taken. The little rainbow took to the air and put up an incredible fight.

post-13314-054528800 1301220044_thumb.jpg

Out came a healthy rainbow, measuring 30cm.

post-13314-086138400 1301220075_thumb.jpg

After a quick photo, it was released to fight another day.

post-13314-007843200 1301220112_thumb.jpg

A few minutes later, I was on again. But as I was fumbling to get the camera out, I dropped him right at my feet. It was about the same size as the first fish. There were several follows on the Tassie devil, but they were all small and I really wanted to catch a larger fish which this Dam was renowned for producing. I tied on a custom made nymphs and it was taken by this lovely rainbow.

post-13314-085830700 1301220135_thumb.jpg

By this stage, Flycaster was getting rather annoyed at me, but it wasn’t long before his fly was taken by something a lot larger.

post-13314-095257300 1301220168_thumb.jpg

After a few intense minutes and my poor attempts at netting the fish, we finally had him.

post-13314-085594000 1301220265_thumb.jpg

Here is another fish that fell to the custom made nymph.

post-13314-081767600 1301220290_thumb.jpg

We didn’t have long to wait between bites, and just as Flycaster said that a fish will take my fly, I was on again. This time, I was on to something larger. After catching a number of small fish, this fish felt like a monster. Flycaster quickly came to the rescue with his net, and like an expert he had the fish.

post-13314-099070200 1301220330_thumb.jpg

After lunch, the action had died down and we decided to make our way home. As we were getting ready to leave, Flycaster announced “one last cast”. And sure enough he was on, and to a good fish. Flycaster didn’t trust my netting ability, after seeing my dismal attempts at netting his first fish, and landed it himself.

post-13314-067443500 1301220353_thumb.jpg

Although the fish had not been very large, the action had been hot.

Thanks Flycaster for a great day out and look forward to our next trip.

Hi Raiders

Caddis and I had a great day's fishing at Thommo's on Saturday. After a slow start, we ended up catching about 8 rainbows between us of varying sizes from fingerlings to about 1 kg. We caught most of them on indicator nymphs. I was using gold bead heads in olive and green and Caddis was using his own home tied red tungsten bead heads to great effect. I managed at one stage to slip over and break the tip off my fly rod, but managed to continue on and catch fish with out the tip. We had a lot of laughs and enjoyed each other's company and the fishing immensely. I feel that Thommo's will fire well as the weather cools. Thanks to Caddis for his great company and good humour.

Regards to all

Flycaster

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, nice looking fish there. Just as a friendly notice, fishing from the dam wall at Thommos is illegal. The reason for this is that over the last few years a few people have had mishaps walking down the rocks with broken legs among the imjuries. This poses an insurance liability to Delta Electricity who own the dam and there has been much talk of Delta removing public access to the dam if there continue to be problems. I understand the lure of fishing from the wall as some great fish can be caught but if it means not being allowed to fish the dam anymore that would be a very high price to pay.

Hey guys, nice looking fish there. Just as a friendly notice, fishing from the dam wall at Thommos is illegal. The reason for this is that over the last few years a few people have had mishaps walking down the rocks with broken legs among the imjuries. This poses an insurance liability to Delta Electricity who own the dam and there has been much talk of Delta removing public access to the dam if there continue to be problems. I understand the lure of fishing from the wall as some great fish can be caught but if it means not being allowed to fish the dam anymore that would be a very high price to pay.

Your right EddieS, fishing the wall can be productive but not worth the risk and there are plenty of other places to fish. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Caddis