Salts Bay Swansea Channel

Noodles

Took the young fella over to Salts Bay yesterday arvo as it's fairly protected from the South-Easterly wind. We made up a burley pot of pollard, bran, Stimulate burley mix, fish oil and minced tuna and within 20 minutes we could see the bream munching up the trail as the water is only 2.5 meters deep. Fishing light gear we managed 7 legal Bream to 28cm, 1 legal Tarwine 23cm, a Silver Trevally and only a couple of undersized throwbacks. We lost several blurters due to hooks pulling through their soft mouths.

Also picking up our baits were big Aussie Salmon. We lost 3 before boating 1 at about 90cm which was released. Top fun on 4 lb bream gear. Bait used was good frozen and old brined pillies, brined stripey tuna and prawns. The scabby old brined pillies was the prefered bait surprisingly.

It pays to burley up sometimes.

Bream fillets for dinner tonight.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys

I'm heading out in the lake 6am this sat where abouts is salts bay ? and is 4pound braid on a 2-4kilo rod too light to fish with at salts bay ive got 6 pound and a heavy setup also

Thanks

Lachlan

Salts Bay is NE side of Swansea, it's on the right hand side as if you were heading outside.

If you're on a boat i'd use 6-8lb, if you're going to try for them off rocks or breakwall i'd go up to 15lb.

I use a 2-4kg rod with either 6-8lb on it, also a 10lb leader.

Salmon in the channel are around 65-70cm in length, there's a few around but give it another month and they will be in plague proportions there, sunrise or sunset is best time, there during the day but not as easy to catch.

They're taking pillies, poppers, plastics and vibes mainly atm.

Hey guys

I'm heading out in the lake 6am this sat where abouts is salts bay ? and is 4pound braid on a 2-4kilo rod too light to fish with at salts bay ive got 6 pound and a heavy setup also

Thanks

Lachlan

How'd you go? I was out there on Saturday arvo myself and my son outfished me 6 keepers to 1. I caught and released 1 salmon of 60cm and saw several others caught by close boats. Catch was 4 Bream 1 Tarwhine and 2 trevally plus a couple of throwbacks.

Salts Bay is NE side of Swansea, it's on the right hand side as if you were heading outside.

If you're on a boat i'd use 6-8lb, if you're going to try for them off rocks or breakwall i'd go up to 15lb.

I use a 2-4kg rod with either 6-8lb on it, also a 10lb leader.

Salmon in the channel are around 65-70cm in length, there's a few around but give it another month and they will be in plague proportions there, sunrise or sunset is best time, there during the day but not as easy to catch.

They're taking pillies, poppers, plastics and vibes mainly atm.

Most would say Salts Bay is on the Southern shore and that is where I've been fishing. In behind Lucy's Breakwall near the big channel lead markers that stick up on the rocks out in the middle. The water is only about 2 meters deep with mixed bottom of sand, patchy ribbon weed and occasional rocks.