Surf fishermen, advice needed please . . . .

Dingostema

Hello all,

Firstly I have only been fishing for a few months. Had a couple of fruitless nights on Maroubra despite a high tide around sunset, not even a nibble. I was using the same rig and bait that has previously proved successfull on Maroubra.

Now firstly, I know that I wont catch fish every time I go out but are there other conditions that I should be looking at before I venture out? I guess the only things that I look for are ideally a high tide around sunset and not oo much wind.

Also, other than the obvious logistics of there being less water/depth around at low tide, is low tide still worthwhile to fish if for example the beach your on slopes down quickly and therefore you have enough depth?

Thanks raiders, DingoDave

Hey David,

I find fishing the moving tide is most productive for me. For example, when the tide is coming in and when the tide is coming out. Both on bottom and low tide, i find the fish on the beach are usually off the chew. This has been in my experience only and i fish maroubra often.

Cheers, Stan

off the chew? Sorry Stan, no idea??

Hey David,

I find fishing the moving tide is most productive for me. For example, when the tide is coming in and when the tide is coming out. Both on bottom and low tide, i find the fish on the beach are usually off the chew. This has been in my experience only and i fish maroubra often.

Cheers, Stan

its been a while since i came back empty handed from a beach session (luckily).

I find an hour each side of a tide change to be the most productive.

Also changes in light - dawn / dusk also produce bites.

As to water depth - doesnt really matter. You wont have to cast for just for the sake of it. Just have to find the "structure" the fish are in - on a sandy beach thats gutters, rips and holes

Thanks. Most times I have been on Maroubra its been a bit windy with a fair amount of surf and I have no idea to work out where any gutters or holesmight be, there doesnt seem to be much difference in how the surf breaks along the beach. Other than casting and working out where the gutters are by where fish are biting how else would you tell?

Cheers, D

its been a while since i came back empty handed from a beach session (luckily).

I find an hour each side of a tide change to be the most productive.

Also changes in light - dawn / dusk also produce bites.

As to water depth - doesnt really matter. You wont have to cast for just for the sake of it. Just have to find the "structure" the fish are in - on a sandy beach thats gutters, rips and holes

Hi Stan,

Nope, tried the South side just before the rocks and then the North side by the building you suggested on the map I uploded on an earlier post.

off the chew - fish are not biting.

Did you fish the corner near the rocks on the north side?

Hello all,

Firstly I have only been fishing for a few months. Had a couple of fruitless nights on Maroubra despite a high tide around sunset, not even a nibble. I was using the same rig and bait that has previously proved successfull on Maroubra.

Now firstly, I know that I wont catch fish every time I go out but are there other conditions that I should be looking at before I venture out? I guess the only things that I look for are ideally a high tide around sunset and not oo much wind.

Also, other than the obvious logistics of there being less water/depth around at low tide, is low tide still worthwhile to fish if for example the beach your on slopes down quickly and therefore you have enough depth?

Thanks raiders, DingoDave

Hi DingoDave,

It may be worthwhile trying another beach close by. On the Nth beaches here, some beaches fire way better than others from my experience. Some beaches that fire well a particular season, go void in another season in the year. Try moving around, and keep a diary of your sessions. What rig were you using when it proved succesful on Maroubra and what species were you catching?

Cheers,

Spizza.

Hi Spizza,

I have only ever fished on Coogee or Maroubra. Simple rig, 12lb mono, bigish sinker to a swivel then a 2ft leader to hook. Have been catching flatties, bream and Taylor. Cheers.

Hi DingoDave,

It may be worthwhile trying another beach close by. On the Nth beaches here, some beaches fire way better than others from my experience. Some beaches that fire well a particular season, go void in another season in the year. Try moving around, and keep a diary of your sessions. What rig were you using when it proved succesful on Maroubra and what species were you catching?

Cheers,

Spizza.

The gutters are usually where the surfers are

Really?

I find that hard to believe as waves don't break in gutters so, apart form getting out to their break, why would surfers be there? :wacko:

Right there is how you find a gutter. :biggrin2:

Dingo, you have a heap of fishing related questions. Have you tried the 'SEARCH' function which is located just under your profile at the top right of the page?

Years of posts & great info in there.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Spizza,

I have only ever fished on Coogee or Maroubra. Simple rig, 12lb mono, bigish sinker to a swivel then a 2ft leader to hook. Have been catching flatties, bream and Taylor. Cheers.

Sounds like it's time to set yourself up with the surf beach staple: ganged hooks / whole pilchards as well if you haven't done so already. You'll probably tackle sunset Tailor, and Salmon will be on the money too if not already there at sunrise etc.

Cheers,

S.

David if your still looking for gutters, go there in the arvo and look for surfers. waves curl and break on shallow water and sand banks. If you see where the surfers are, you no that theres shallow water there so definately stay away, unless your fishing for whiting which frequent the flats. Make sure you look for surfers everytime you fish the beach as the sand bars move everyday which is why there is good fishing at the beach (the movement of so many nutrients)

Next you want to find the deep gutters and holes. Best way to do this, is to get a vantage point. If you fishing Maroubra head north towards the hill and rocks (the ones near where you tried fishing), once your on top of the hill look for the darker blue areas. When in proximity with these areas you will notice only swell NO waves. Thats the most basic form of looking for gutters without getting to technical. Works for me David.

Ill let you know how i go thursday night, dont no where i will go yet.

Cheers, Stan

The gutters are usually where the surfers are

Surfers will only tell you where the shallow water is and where the rips are- as surfers use the rips to get out to the banks faster with less effort- on the lee side of the rip you will likely find the channels and gutters.

DOnt be afraid to walk along with your line in the wash as this can be very productive- esp for Salmon/taylor and jewies which move in and outr of the gutters frequently

Spizza, PRED-ATOR and Jewhunter are ALL on the $ - be observant and also dont fish near surfers its just not cool

Tight lines

Anthony

:D

Hi all, been trying all these tips and techniques (thanks to everyone) but my last 3 beach visits have been completely unsucccessful and I have returned home each time empty handed, not even a bite to speak of!!!

My beginners luck seems to have evaporated! Cheers, David

Hi all, been trying all these tips and techniques (thanks to everyone) but my last 3 beach visits have been completely unsucccessful and I have returned home each time empty handed, not even a bite to speak of!!!

My beginners luck seems to have evaporated! Cheers, David

Dont wory David, just keep at it and you will succeed big time. Good things come to those who wait : )

Interesting info re: the gutters and where the waves break as i have tried to read the ocean by getting to the beach a bit before the sun goes down and fairdinkum, apart from a shitload of water and waves crashing on top of each other i could not tell, i can't tell where rips are and i guess i have untrained eyes which is why i don't swim at bondi - couldn't handle getting dragged up on the beach by one of the life savers gasping for air then being filmed for the show bondi rescue.

I can spot a nice ass a mile off.

I need to spend less time looking at bums and more time watcing waves !!

Cheers

Pete.

hehe, like your style Pete, I have the same problem but because I fish in the evenings I dont get a chance to inspect the beach from a vantage point in daylight to try to spot the gutters. I have had no luck at all in the dark seeing any difference in whee the waves break etc. Do you fish the eastern beaches?

Cheers, David

Interesting info re: the gutters and where the waves break as i have tried to read the ocean by getting to the beach a bit before the sun goes down and fairdinkum, apart from a shitload of water and waves crashing on top of each other i could not tell, i can't tell where rips are and i guess i have untrained eyes which is why i don't swim at bondi - couldn't handle getting dragged up on the beach by one of the life savers gasping for air then being filmed for the show bondi rescue.

I can spot a nice ass a mile off.

I need to spend less time looking at bums and more time watcing waves !!

Cheers

Pete.

hehe, like your style Pete, I have the same problem but because I fish in the evenings I dont get a chance to inspect the beach from a vantage point in daylight to try to spot the gutters. I have had no luck at all in the dark seeing any difference in whee the waves break etc. Do you fish the eastern beaches?

Cheers, David

Hi dave,

I like to fish the northern beaches when i can. Still finding my way around the area though and have generally only fished nth Narrabeen and a bit at palm beach around the back off the rocks and you ?

Cheers

Pete.