Port hacking jew

A.dawg

Hey Raiders havn't posted a reported in a very long time

First of all i would like to thank Richard for showing me a few tricks and getting me on such a beautiful fish

Got a call yesterday morning From Richard (MRsquidy) he asked if i wanted to join him for a jewwie session.

Richard launched at 7-8 Not too sure and started filling up the bait tank while im at work..

Finished work at 9 Whipped up a few pizza's for richard and off i went to meet him at the wharf...

He already had a few yakka's and a sambo about 55cm in the bucket so off we went to start fishing for the ellusive jewfish

Fished the same spot all night From about 10-12 the baits weren't touched at all so my hopes were pretty much lost... was still keen to play on my phone and lie down on the boat while praying that something will touch the baits.

seemed that everytime i lie down i get a run haha and i never seem to get to the rod in time either

Had about 6 run most likely soapie and shark or something with sharp teeth which cut my bottom hook off clean so i was left with onli the top snell hook.

Was too lazy to re rig so just used the single hook and again a fish take my line. THis time i hook up :yahoo:

I stayed calm and by looking at the way the fish fought didnt seem like a jewwie at all one the fish saw light it took a few runs and went under the anchor rope :wacko: At this point im pretty much crapping my pants and even richard though the fish would be lost But fish swam the way we wanted it to swim and back out off the rope and richard netted the fish up :thumbup:

Hows that for a first jew Cracked the meter mark and just under 10kg :yahoo:

post-9131-010634400 1301717149_thumb.jpg

post-9131-054526700 1301717198_thumb.jpg

post-9131-085490100 1301717261_thumb.jpg

post-9131-042709000 1301717364_thumb.jpg

Now cant wait to get out there again

That is a jewfish and a half mate !

Well done, awesome report, the jews have such a nice shine to them, makes me so keen to what to catch one :1fishing1:

If you don't mind me asking, what part of the Hacking were you fishing ? don't have to give any spots away :thumbup:

Hey Mate,

Glad to be able to help you onto to your first Jew :thumbup: After you missed those other bites and it got to 1.30am without a fish in the boat i was starting to think it wasn’t going to be our night but as always with the Jew, patience paid off. I’m glad it grabbed your heavier outfit, i don’t think the 4pound set up you had would have stood up to that, especially when it made to to the anchor rope. Anyway, well done and enjoy the feast.

Richard

Edited by Mr Squidy

Nice fish there. Good to see you and Richard having success. Richard i was hoping to catch up with you last Thursday night. Got a couple of squid. PM me sometime this week and lets hook up for a session together. I'm sure there are more Jew to be caught.

Stewart

AKA Mr squid

Nice work mate still yet to catch my first and if its anything like that i cant wait ahaha. Quick question though what rod, reel and line class where you using because im think of buying a new outfit and just want to know what everyone else uses. Im looking at a 6500 baitrunner and spooling it with 30 pound braid would this be to heavy for this sort of fishing.

Caught this fish on a saragosa 18000 but it had only 30lb trace as that was the heaviest trace richard had...

Im also getting a new outfit at the moments its either a sol4000 with a t curve snapper or

a twin power 4000 with a G loomis rod

This outfit is just for the jews/kings as im now addicted... Wish only i had more time :thumbdown:

Caught this fish on a saragosa 18000 but it had only 30lb trace as that was the heaviest trace richard had...

Im also getting a new outfit at the moments its either a sol4000 with a t curve snapper or

a twin power 4000 with a G loomis rod

This outfit is just for the jews/kings as im now addicted... Wish only i had more time :thumbdown:

cheers mate

Hey Alan,

fantastic job buddy, welcome to the club.

Now you are REALLY addicted you will spend the rest of your life trying to top that beautiful fish!

Good work buddy, tried to call you but your mobile number has changed.. Please PM me the new one if you are cool with that.

Lets hook up for another sesh soon.

Cheers

Chris

Hey Dawg,

Cracking jew mate.

You know I look at people's posts of nice jewies and I know I can do it too but the gaps I have in my knowledge keep me at the bream rods instead of the jewie rods.

It's hard for me to justify sacrificing several kg's of bream for just a crack at a jew.

If I'm gonna do the jew thing, I need to have more klnowledge, but the only way to get that knowledge is to take the plunge and try for the jew and learn...

Its a catch 22.

So the only thing I can do is learn from others...

Can I ask,

Were you using live squid for bait?

Do you fish a strike drag or a setting less than strike drag?

If a loose drag, when do you decide to strike?

At what stage of the tide did you get the strikes?

Do you burley for the jews (or to attract liveys which in turn attaract the jew) ?

If using live yakkas or strips of squid, do you fish strike drag or freespool?

I guess I have too much to learn....

Perhaps I need to befriend someone who knows what they're doing - and I'm happy to exchange my knowledge on bay fishing for some of theirs on jewies....

Tony

Hey Dawg,

Cracking jew mate.

You know I look at people's posts of nice jewies and I know I can do it too but the gaps I have in my knowledge keep me at the bream rods instead of the jewie rods.

It's hard for me to justify sacrificing several kg's of bream for just a crack at a jew.

If I'm gonna do the jew thing, I need to have more klnowledge, but the only way to get that knowledge is to take the plunge and try for the jew and learn...

Its a catch 22.

So the only thing I can do is learn from others...

Can I ask,

Were you using live squid for bait?

Do you fish a strike drag or a setting less than strike drag?

If a loose drag, when do you decide to strike?

At what stage of the tide did you get the strikes?

Do you burley for the jews (or to attract liveys which in turn attaract the jew) ?

If using live yakkas or strips of squid, do you fish strike drag or freespool?

I guess I have too much to learn....

Perhaps I need to befriend someone who knows what they're doing - and I'm happy to exchange my knowledge on bay fishing for some of theirs on jewies....

Tony

hey keflapod

as said before the jewwie was caught on butterflied yellowtail

the 6 runs i had before this guy usually didnt get to the rod fast enuff to strike but this guy i struck as soon as i got to the rod. I am using circle hooks and the strike is gentle not very sharp/fast tugg.. I myself do not know too much about them as this is onli my frist one landed after 4 years off chasing them Goodluck hope u catch one soon

alan

hey keflapod

as said before the jewwie was caught on butterflied yellowtail

the 6 runs i had before this guy usually didnt get to the rod fast enuff to strike but this guy i struck as soon as i got to the rod. I am using circle hooks and the strike is gentle not very sharp/fast tugg.. I myself do not know too much about them as this is onli my frist one landed after 4 years off chasing them Goodluck hope u catch one soon

alan

Hey Alan,

I saw you said you had yakkas and sambos but I didn't click that one of them was the bait.

Interesting you using circle hooks.

And you said the bottom hook was bitten off but you still used the rig and got your fish.

So your rig is a two-hook rig where the trailing hook is a circle?

I haven't seen that before.

And you strike your fish fairly quickly meaning you fish in loose drag and lock it up fairly quickly after the run ?

Jewies - they're a tough fish to hook - one hookup from 6 strikes would have me in tears.

Well if I knew the time and place to fish for them, I guess I would use my bream tactics and maybe hook one of these silver torpedoes.....

Tony