Unusual SIght in Botany Bay yesterday

Muzzafish

Hey Fishraiders,

While fishing in Botany Bay yesterday, my mate and I saw several schools of something on the surface out in open water between Brighton Le Sands and the 1st runway. We raced over hoping Kingfish or something, but on closer inspection, it wasn't bait fish being smashed by something bigger at all. It seemed to be larger fish, they weren't feeding it seemed but writhing around on the surface in what I can only speculate was breeding. I tried to get close enough to ID the fish but couldn't (and had no camera, sorry).

Did anyone see this and could someone tell me what they were? Oh, and of course we threw everything we had at them for no result.

Muzza

The mullet run is about to start.

I'd say they were mullet schooling up ready for their spawning run.

When the 1st big westerly wind blows this month they will head out to sea.

Now's a great time to be throwing a livie around those schools as the jew won't be far behind. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Cheers Grant.

Mullet, of course. It didn't occur to me the Jews would be stalking them. You mention live bait but would you think that lures worked around these schools would also work? Do the jews sit under these schools of mullet? Maybe a big mullet-like plastic bounced along the bottom around the schools? Any hints to help me catch a jew would be great.

Paul

Cheers Grant.

Mullet, of course. It didn't occur to me the Jews would be stalking them. You mention live bait but would you think that lures worked around these schools would also work? Do the jews sit under these schools of mullet? Maybe a big mullet-like plastic bounced along the bottom around the schools? Any hints to help me catch a jew would be great.

Paul

Sounds like you're on the right track to me mate!! :thumbup:

Fish around those schools on a tide change & you'll be in with a good shot.

They can be hard to temp though as they are usually fat & gorged up when the schools are around.

No suprise of more reports of jew over the last week in the forums. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hey Fishraiders,

While fishing in Botany Bay yesterday, my mate and I saw several schools of something on the surface out in open water between Brighton Le Sands and the 1st runway. We raced over hoping Kingfish or something, but on closer inspection, it wasn't bait fish being smashed by something bigger at all. It seemed to be larger fish, they weren't feeding it seemed but writhing around on the surface in what I can only speculate was breeding. I tried to get close enough to ID the fish but couldn't (and had no camera, sorry).

Did anyone see this and could someone tell me what they were? Oh, and of course we threw everything we had at them for no result.

Muzza

We came across similar situation on Friday morning in the area you mentioned on the way back to ramp. From a distance the boil looked like a big school of Salmon, but when we got close we noticed it was a big ball of smaller fish, yakkas or slimey's. We couldn't get an ID on the fish though.

We got smashed a couple of times on Sunday around that spot. We thought it might have been kingfish for 1 (realised after 10 seconds he got hooked then took off) and also trevally (went jatso from the start). Some guys near us took a big salmon about midday - was backing towards Cooks rive in line with the old runway and Brighton.

Mick

Edited by Flano

Sounds like you're on the right track to me mate!! :thumbup:

Fish around those schools on a tide change & you'll be in with a good shot.

They can be hard to temp though as they are usually fat & gorged up when the schools are around.

No suprise of more reports of jew over the last week in the forums. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Reckon your on the money there Grant (no surprise). I have definitely noticed over the last month or so the bigger Jew have really turned up in numbers and the prefered bait has switched from squid to freash fish baits.

Richard

Hi Raiders, We were outside drifting around Kurnell Car Park and the Hump yesterday morning, managed some nice Mowies and Flathead.

We packed up around 12:30 to cruise in, as we came within a k or so of the south head we were surrounded by a large school of dolphins making their way east (Flipper type) :fish_h4h: . We turned a followed them for around 2ks as they swam and played around us, it was the most amazing site :thumbup: .

May have been playing inside the bay they came from the heads?

Hope someone else caught a view, we did pass close to another boat about 3ks out from the south head, what an amazing place the Bay is :au: