I JUST SCORED MY FIRST JEW'S !

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

Thought I would share with you my epic fishing trip yesterday afternoon. So yesterday afternoon during work Im thinking, Should I go out for a fish this arvo?? Looking out the window suggested no, it was cloudy forecast, a little bit windy and ontop of that it was raining on and off. What great conditions to fish in.

So few hours later Im sitting in my room reading a few fishing magazine's, every so often looking out the window thinking should I go or not? Ok screw it, im going !! As I already had all my gear packed and ready to go , the missus decided to give me a lift down to my spot as she was heading elsewhere and it was on the way, BOOYA free ride !! Anyways I was thinking of just dedicating 2-3 hours on a bait collecting session, I was hoping to go for mullet. So out of the bait freezer came 2 loafs of bread, I also had a big bag of fresh squid I caught the week before, I remembered though that I had a lone wolf squid also in the freezer, 1 single medium sized squid !! So I thought yeah ill take that with me and put that out on a big rod just incase a big jew is swimming past !! Anyways so everything packed in the car now, all baited up for what I was goin for and I hit the road !!

6:05 I arrive at my spot to notice its not raining, surprisingly very calm, no wind and ontop of that not another person insight, sweet as this was going to be good ! With all gear unpacked ready for rigging up. I decided I'd rig up the big rod first as its just gonna sit out there and be placed in a rod holder. So setup my rig with 2 5/0 octopus circles on a sliding snell rig, I used the whole head of my squid as my first bait, left me with only 3 good size jewy baits.

6:15 I send out my bait for the first time casting as close as I can towards the inside of the flashing red channel marker. Perfect spot, bait sinks to the bottom, rod is placed in rod holder and the slack taken up. Beautiful, now its time to setup my smaller rods for what I actually came here for, mullet. So I grab the floats I needed out of my bag, some line, splitshots and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz , what ?? Whats going on ?

6:25 and Im looking at my 10ft ugly stick bent to the shit in the rod holder with line peeling off the spool. Do I strike? Oh wait no, dont do that im using circles ok ok settle down. So I pick up the rod quickly but carefully, quickly set the drag and took load ! Rod tip is boucing up and down, this fish isnt happy he takes another run ZzzzZzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZ he then stops for a quick breathe BOOM this is my chance Pump&WindPump&WindPump&Wind more headshakes more pumping more winding ! How far out is this fish ? I had no clue, I was so excited to feel my rod take so much load for the first time on something other then a snag that all my sence's went out the window :1yikes: then all of a sudden snag.... F#^! Why Now ?? :ranting2:

Still keeping pressue on this fish I hoped my 50lb leader would hold, not coming free I give him some line hoping he would swim out, zzZzzzz sweet he's back out then after a short burst he took another breather which was enough for me to pump and wind my first jew fish EVER in ! As im beaching the fish on the sand im looking at it thinkin is this is ?? IS THIS MY JEWY ??

As I pull it well clear of any escape route it might think of taking back into the water, I notice that this is the one ! THIS IS MY FIRST JEWY, F#^K YEAH !!!!!! :biggrin2: Me and my mate where amazed, we had only been there 10-15 minutes to target mullet instead pull in a 68cm Jewfish. WOW!! Took a few happy snap's and let this fella go, he put up an awesome fight so he deserve's to grow alot bigger and fight another day !! :04:

post-18263-071311300 1302044394_thumb.jpg

post-18263-024147000 1302044521_thumb.jpg

Release Photos

post-18263-069846600 1302044633_thumb.jpg

post-18263-086768400 1302044725_thumb.jpg

Still extatic after catching the first jew, I had to figure out what to do with my single squid tube !! Do I cut it into smaller bit's to make more baits or leave it whole ?? I only had that left and with one decent jewy sucessfully caught I was eager for another. Never felt the ammount of power they have, I found a whole new respect for these fish !! :1worthy: Anyways so I decided to cut the tube into 4 large bait's and hope that it would catch me another fish !! So I rebaited and casted In the same spot, maybe a few metres to the right actually but same distance, so my bait yet again was sitting in the deeper water in the channel. Beautiful! Now i decided I can rig up my mullet rod and get down to business of why I went fishing. So im rigging up now its about 6:45-6:50ish, I get to the last part of my rig, the hook and I hear ZzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, WOW this is bigger then the last !! So I let it run as I did the first time until I was sure he was hooked. Slowly picked up the rod, squeezed the drag and took load. NOTHING ! WTF ??

I reel her back in to see my bait was gone but no fish, nothing. Ok 2 baits left now play this smart Jez, dont loose this bait! So I re-bait once again and send this out, except on the totally opposite side of the channel to where I was casting, hoping maybe I can pick that fish up again if he decide's to turn around! Rod back into the holder and the wait starts again, well the riggin of my mullet rod actually. So I finish off the rig and decide to sit down and relax with a ciggie before I setup my mullet bait and get it going !

7:10pm now and Im just watching the rod, having a ciggie while I scroll through the pix of the jewy I caught earlier. As I look up at my rod for the last time it takes a severe hit, the rod bends then goes slack. Huh ? ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz thats right !! thats what we wanna hear !! So I let her run knowing this time I can't miss. Running 60-70m I decided ok squeeze this drag, lets see what we are playing with ! Boom the rod takes load, alot more then the first but instead of slowing it down she has full intentions to keep her course !! Not good pilons, tree's, mangroves, rocks so many things can loose me this fish right now!!

ZzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzZZZ Wow What the F#^K do I do here. She finally stop's for a breather where I manage to pump in a good section of line. She's coming in I scream to my mate, who's freaking out as he see's a massive jewy break the surface 40m out from shore!! BRO THAT THINGS A MONSTER!!! She hits the water only to peel off more line ZzzzzZZZZZZZZzzzzzZZ, I love this sound !! She's slowing down, but still isnt easy she's a heavy fish ! She takes one more breather and i pump her in, she's fought hard but I fought harder!! After 10mins or more of furious action from this awesome fish, I manage to land her !! Pulling her up the beach my mate and I were amazed ! This thing is a freaking horse !!!

101cm Of Pure Jewy Muscle !!! Sadly after a few photo's, as we tried to release her she didnt have much go at all. She fought hard and I didnt wanna let a fish of this size just float away in the current. I caught it, Ill take it home with me if she cant swim no more. So I gutted and scaled her and took her home so she was still nice and fresh to eat, I couldnt get an official weight after doing this. But 101cm was the measurement in length although she was alot fatter then most jewy's I have seen caught via my mates of similar size, I would estimate about 10-11kg maybe! Anyways here's a few pix of this fish. Like I mentioned I took this fish home so obviously no release photo's.

Conclusion: Very Very good session for me even though I went out targeting bait for these fish. I also managed to catch my FIRST EVER Jewfish of 68cm and ontop of that a PB Jewfish of 101cm. Wow, now I know what all the fuss is about ! Also managed to share this fish with my parents. I took home 1 massive fillet and left the rest for my oldies, they love fish what better way to keep them happy with freshly caught fish. My fillet though was huge, should last me atleast 1 week of Jewfish everyday :gathering::biggrinthumb:

Hope you enjoyed this report raiders,

Pleasure Telling It,

Jez.

p.s: I had to put the rest of the pix in the next post cause I couldnt fit them here. Sorry

More pix of 101cm Jewy !!

Scaled to Wallet

post-18263-071081200 1302048240_thumb.jpg

Girth Of Fish

post-18263-037109600 1302048316_thumb.jpg

101cm PB Jewy WOOP WOOP

post-18263-041610900 1302048412_thumb.jpg

Me & Me Fish

post-18263-075852800 1302048511_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading raiders,

Jez

Top work :thumbup: Great fish and by the sounds of it well deserved. Jew fishing is a dangerous addiction and there is nothing like your fist Jews to lock you into a life of long,cold, wet nights spent sitting watching the rods and waiting for that big run. They are definitely on big time at the moment in just about all the systems so keep at them over the next month or two until the water starts to cool.

Richard

Thanks for all the positive reply's raiders !!

Yeah this will definatly not be a catch I will be forgetting sometime soon !

Well I figured if i release the smaller one maybe some good karma might come way and send my way a bigger girl !

Woop and thats what happened heheh still smiling now !!

LOL I never got to catch any of the mullet I wanted, After all those hook ups off 1 medium sized squid i was good to pack up and head home on a high.

The addiction has started and yes I have waited so long for this fish. Persistence is the main key here I think.

Hopefully I can get a few more crackers and some stories for everyone !

Cheers raiders,

Jez

I was actually fishing the Georges, Kelso beach. It was empty for the first time ever and calm and perfect !! Loved every minute of the 2 hours I was out there !

p.s: Would I be able to nominate my 101cm jewy for COTM ? Never caught a fish worthy before, how would I go about it ?

Cheers,

Jez

Hey Jez

Congrats on the 1st jewies... and great report. I was sitting on the edge of my seat (in the office) the whole way! :biggrin2:

Keep up the good work.

Mike

heheh awesome, atleast get a story out and keep fellas like you and me entertained whilst at work aye :D

Cheers matey

nice work

Should try that spot sometime. I've caught then downstream at picnic point before but only around 60cm

It was a rare sight, usually that spot is full of Jewfish hungry angler's ! Usually atleast 10 - 15 rods on the beach most of the time I drive past there, but the day I actually fish there and it produce's no one was there :D Loving it, I think ive worked out how the tides work with the jew's in this section, so Ill give it another go tomorrow after I study it a little and see how i go !

A couple of nice fish there well done!!!

The Jews are on at the moment that's for sure,

Your family will be on your case now to go out and get some more once they taste them as there really is nothing quite like Jew fish

I have been itching to get out there too but have been too lazy good on you for your persistence as that is what gets the results,

Regards,

Nathan

A couple of nice fish there well done!!!

The Jews are on at the moment that's for sure,

Your family will be on your case now to go out and get some more once they taste them as there really is nothing quite like Jew fish

I have been itching to get out there too but have been too lazy good on you for your persistence as that is what gets the results,

Regards,

Nathan

Yep most definately persistence is the key, lol my parents heard I knew I caught it, almost wasnt an option not too share lol :)

Cmon matey get out there :P

It was a rare sight, usually that spot is full of Jewfish hungry angler's ! Usually atleast 10 - 15 rods on the beach most of the time I drive past there, but the day I actually fish there and it produce's no one was there :D Loving it, I think ive worked out how the tides work with the jew's in this section, so Ill give it another go tomorrow after I study it a little and see how i go !

that's the little beach that you drive past at on henry lawson?