Braid of the beach

Braid of the beach?

Yes or no?

Should i just save my money and buy some mono? or is there certain advantages that braid has over mono on a beach?

I heard the sometimes sand can get in the braid, and make it weak

? and even snap from rubbing against the sand?

Would it have extra sensitivity over mono on a beach?

Would it stay tighter? like it wouldnt have the same big diameter of mono and wouldnt get caught by the wind or current/waves that much?

Sorry im new to beac fishing and really wanna get into it.

im a fan of braid - and yes to braid off the beach. Just use a wind on leader (fluro casts better IMO... less stretch when using big sinkers, otherwise id just save the cash cuz mono is fine)

Braid...

casts further

cuts through wind and waves better

smaller diameter - fits more onto reel

more sensative to bites - can be helpful with all the wave movement

lasts longer than mono

I use mono for all my beach fishing, braid is great but not good for the beach as the sand damages the braid very easily and weakens the line.

if you fishing for Sambos, tailor or Jew just leave your reel with 2-3kg of drag with the rod in a rod holder, you will find the fish normally would smash the bait hook them selfs. Save you money and buy mono.

Braid of the beach?

Yes or no?

Should i just save my money and buy some mono? or is there certain advantages that braid has over mono on a beach?

I heard the sometimes sand can get in the braid, and make it weak

? and even snap from rubbing against the sand?

Would it have extra sensitivity over mono on a beach?

Would it stay tighter? like it wouldnt have the same big diameter of mono and wouldnt get caught by the wind or current/waves that much?

Sorry im new to beac fishing and really wanna get into it.

There's some great quality mono lines out there today - strong low stretch such as Tortue, Moimoi and Platypus to name a few. If you go for braid, maybe stick with the higher diameter braids such as Berkley fireline which will be more resistent over time on the sand than quality lower diameter braid (not cheap either).

Braid will cast further and assist in sensitivity, but depends on your set up too....e,g, whiting, bream, or heavier, salmon, Jew etc?

I'm a new braid user. I have recently spooled up one of my spin outfits with some 16lb braid (7lb mono equiv). I used it off the beach recently as an only option just to catch some whiting. I was amazed at how well it worked in the moving wash. I have fished a lot with mono off the beaches for jew and always had trouble with the heavy mono yanking and moving about in the waves. The braid was great. Every touch was easliy able to be felt as a fish and there was very little feel of the waves moving it about. So I am now a fan of braid off the beach but, have also been advised that the sand will damage it, particularly if you have a running sinker as sand can get in between the braid and the lead inside the hole. Using a few metres of mono wound on makes good sense if you can tie a good knot. If you do this I can't see how the sand can do too much other damage. I guess you will know when the braid gives out after a while on that Trophy fish you have just hooked :wacko:

Cheers,

Brian

I reckon I would have sawed me finger off if I used braid on my beach rod casting 2-3oz sinkers, I seem to get enough cuts with mono (maybe I've just got dainty hands :1prop: ) I also seem to have more dramas with weed fouling the line whenever I use braid off the beach. Platypus lo-stretch seems to do well enough for me.

I'm a new braid user. I have recently spooled up one of my spin outfits with some 16lb braid (7lb mono equiv). I used it off the beach recently as an only option just to catch some whiting. I was amazed at how well it worked in the moving wash. I have fished a lot with mono off the beaches for jew and always had trouble with the heavy mono yanking and moving about in the waves. The braid was great. Every touch was easliy able to be felt as a fish and there was very little feel of the waves moving it about. So I am now a fan of braid off the beach but, have also been advised that the sand will damage it, particularly if you have a running sinker as sand can get in between the braid and the lead inside the hole. Using a few metres of mono wound on makes good sense if you can tie a good knot. If you do this I can't see how the sand can do too much other damage. I guess you will know when the braid gives out after a while on that Trophy fish you have just hooked :wacko:

Cheers,

Brian

No doubt, when using heavier braid, I've learnt my lesson that it pays to spend some more money and grab some quality braid like PowerPro, Bionic or Tufline etc. I had all sorts of dramas with the Jarvis Walker Viros Braid (50lb), which basically kept giving way on Albright knots etc connected to the fluro mono. Cheap and nasty stuff and cost me a personal trophy fish recently.

Fireline in 30 lb on a nice overhead config will blow threadlines away all day in the suds and I use it exclusively for salmon,tailor and jews.

I do run a rod and a half length of 50lb fluro for castabilty.

Cheers Stewy

:dito:

I haven't used mono for years.

Lack of weeding, lack of drag in the wash, increased casting distance, increased feel & lack of stretch are huge pluses from the beach. That's why I use fireline.

I've hooked & landed more jew from the beach on braid than I ever did using mono. A good o/head reel is a must for casting big, heavy baits.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

I reckon I would have sawed me finger off if I used braid on my beach rod casting 2-3oz sinkers, I seem to get enough cuts with mono (maybe I've just got dainty hands :1prop: ) I also seem to have more dramas with weed fouling the line whenever I use braid off the beach. Platypus lo-stretch seems to do well enough for me.

how true !

i wound my casting finger in electrician tape to the point i couldnt bent the finger. One big cast and the braid cut straight through the tape and my finger

how true !

i wound my casting finger in electrician tape to the point i couldnt bent the finger. One big cast and the braid cut straight through the tape and my finger

Are you using a good casting overhead such as an ABU 7000 or 10000?

You will never cut you fingers on an o/head reel, & cast a hell of a lot further.

Cheers,

Grant.

:dito:

I haven't used mono for years.

Lack of weeding, lack of drag in the wash, increased casting distance, increased feel & lack of stretch are huge pluses from the beach. That's why I use fireline.

I've hooked & landed more jew from the beach on braid than I ever did using mono. A good o/head reel is a must for casting big, heavy baits.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi Grant,

Are you hitting any of those great beaches up your way? Must be some great Jewie action along Kingscliff etc. I'd love to get up to Wooyung beach one day.

cheers,

S.

Hi Grant,

Are you hitting any of those great beaches up your way? Must be some great Jewie action along Kingscliff etc. I'd love to get up to Wooyung beach one day.

cheers,

S.

Mate, when the swell drops below 3 mtrs on a decent moon phase I'll be there!!!

It's hard to believe but I have only had one half arsed beach sesh in the 4 yrs I've been here! :thumbdown:

Checked out all the beaches from Kingy, Casuarina, Cabarita, Pottsville to Wooyung. Some terrific looking water!!

I really want to fish it when the mullet are running. :biggrin2:

Sorry for getting :offtopic:

I'll be using braid!!

Cheers,

Grant.