Starter problems

Yarraone

I am getting my boat ready for my next trip and have doen all the prep work on trailer lights etc, now want to check the motor..It has been a while since I started the old girl so I charged the batteries up, changed the plugs and cleaned the air filter,, I go to hit the key.....Wwrrr, Wrrr, Wrrrr ?

I had this problem before and it was the solidnoide.. i had a spare one and thought I may as well change it so I did that as well..

Same thing.. just not turning it enough, and this is with both batteries turned on..I even tried jump starting from my ute and jumpstrting directly to the starter?? not much different.. :mad3:

What i want to know is can it be the batteries, even though they might register as FULL charge , they might not have enough kick anymore?? or could this be just the starter motor needing an overhall?

I have a Mercury 90hp.. i am not sur of the year model but, the serial number is B180140

Is there anyway I can check any of these to work out where the problem is..

Low battery generally causes the click click noise when you turn the key. If your hearing whiring noise then the motor is turning. As the pinion gets flung outby centrifugal force on some motors so it may be stuck. You should be able to lift and turn the pinion gear in one movement and you'll see the shaft exposed. This may need a clean and lubricate. Pop the starter off and try that.. shouldn't take long.

C.

Edited by chrisg

a starter motor rebuild kit are around $40 good todo any way ,also check battery leads for hot spots when cranking and remove earth (black cable) from engine block (starter) and clean cable end and surface on block (starter) as it can be something as simple as that that stops the amps needed to crank cheers dunc333

Well I have cleaned the terminals and cables and the batteries are fully charged??

Starter motor is engaging but seems not to have enough to turn it over..Can the batteries be fully charged but not have enough amps as they need replacing.. :wacko:

Well I have cleaned the terminals and cables and the batteries are fully charged??

Starter motor is engaging but seems not to have enough to turn it over..Can the batteries be fully charged but not have enough amps as they need replacing.. :wacko:

Best way to check batteries is load test them, take them to a auto elect get them tested, fully charged simply means they have 12 volts or more, but may still have a crook cell which will drop cranking amps. for quick self check, you can put multi meter on volts on battery terminals, hit the key, volts should not drop more than 10.5 volts or so under cranking.

Edited by Fester

Best way to check batteries is load test them, take them to a auto elect get them tested, fully charged simply means they have 12 volts or more, but may still have a crook cell which will drop cranking amps. for quick self check, you can put multi meter on volts on battery terminals, hit the key, volts should not drop more than 10.5 volts or so under cranking.

Thanks mate that was what I was after... :thumbup:

Well thanks guys I think I just fixed the problem..I went out and bought a multimeter..

My battery charger and battery tester both said that my batteries were fully charged..However they are only putting out about 10.7V sitting there and only about 6V under load.. So I am off to buy another battery.. :thumbup: I do still have one question though...?

My boat has always had 2 batteries...? Do I realy need 2 new ones? or will one new one for starting be OK and ican use an old one simply for the lighting at night?

Hi mate glad I could help, just buy new battery for starting, then further down the track if lighting accesory battery starts to fail replace it with same as start battery, then rotate them every few trips so your accesory battery gets worked with engine cranking too.

Yep thanks guys it was the battery.. Even when it said it was fully charged it was only putting out 11V, and then when i went to crank iot ... It dropped to 6V :thumbup:

Cool a cheapish fix than aye,,, beat a visit to an outboard mechanic :)