Fly Combo Advise?

alexit

Ok folks, been on my mind for a while, but I am looking to move over and have a sniff of the flyside of fishing life.

I am looking at picking up a fly combo to be used for the large part in the salt and it seems that a 6/7wt would be the go for bream/flatties/sambos etc ???

.... so what I am asking is input into this purchase. Brands, preferences, ideas....maybe even offers to sell an unused combo?

I have bout $350 to spend

alex

Guest bluecod
Ok folks, been on my mind for a while, but I am looking to move over and have a sniff of the flyside of fishing life.

I am looking at picking up a fly combo to be used for the large part in the salt and it seems that a 6/7wt would be the go for bream/flatties/sambos etc ???

.... so what I am asking is input into this purchase. Brands, preferences, ideas....maybe even offers to sell an unused combo?

I have bout $350 to spend

alex

49816[/snapback]

Ohh Gawd!! If you thought you had an addiction before, you're gone now, being a recent convert myself :wacko: , and is one reason why I'm leaving this alone in deference to the more experienced like Ken A, Narralakes, Pogo and some of the others.

Howdy Alexit.

I bought a Loomis Pescator #8 combo on Saturday. It was within your price range. The rod seems right for the money. The reel is suitable for line storage purposes...need I say more? The WF8 flyline, tapered leader and dacron backing that came with it appear to be good enough quality, although I am far from an expert in this area. Unfortunately I can't tell you whether it casts well or not, mainly owing to the fact that I can't cast yet! I decided on this gear after considerable research: either this or the 'Innovator' kits were the most often recommended combos. I took the #8 rather than the #7 in an attempt to increase my casting opportunities in windy weather, and also because I get up north a lot and have developed a penchant for queenies and GTs.

Guest Target

Alex

Welcome to the wonderful world of flyfishing....... and expensive :(

There is nothing that I have come across so far that is as expensive to get into at the base level, nor as wildly overpriced at the top level, BUT you can enjoy at a reasonable price over time, dont get me wrong.

Entry level combo might set you back a few hundred, even less than $150 for a cheapie, but the real cheap stuff can turn you off quickly due to the fact they dont cast quite as well. I have a cheap combo at the moment for #6 and it does an OK job, used to have a much better outfit (sold it unfortunately) that was heaps easier to cast. I also have a top notch #9 that is a dream to use, but set me back a fair few $100.

Reel - anthing that holds line for what you want, your not chasing hard running fish where you need great drags, even sambos can be controlled with a bit of palming on the spool. Just make sure it is salt water proof.

Rod - very important, must balance with the reel, and probably a slower taper will suit you being new to fly - easier to cast. Spend more money here.

Line - one of the most important, expect to pay close to $100 for a decent line. $30 KMart specials will give you grieve, and $60 lines will cope well, but not as good as the better cortland, teeny, exetera.

if you have abudget of $350, spend $60 on line, $80 on line, and $200 on rod, and you should be off to a good start. Cant recomend brands as I built my own rod on a Rainshadow blank, and use a reddington reel (bewdiful) line is combination of cortland and other shooting heads.

Then start adding tying vice, hackle, waxed thread, crystal flash, feathers, OH S#IT, the fun is just starting :) If you enjoy making things yourself, fly tying is great.

Have fun

Adrian

I have to agree with Adrian he is right on Target (sorry bad pun)

Rod and Line are most important. I bought a reasonably cheap (in cost) rod and reel combo it is a Gillies 5/6. I tried the feel of very expensive rods outside my price range and then went for the closest to those that I could afford. I have used it to catch countless bass as well as bream, flathead, Estuary perch, tailor and herring. You really do notice the difference between a good and an average rod and line. I wish I had a better rod and 3/4wt for the bass. I recomend you look on-line and in books at casting guides and techniques then head to the stream or park and practice casting, without a fly on. A must is sunglasses or glasses of some sort to protect against stray casts.

If you are going to tie your own flies then again the best vice you can afford is good.

I got interested in it all when my brother gave me a readers digest book on fly tying that came with an elcheapo vice thread and a few tools and tying material to tie the patterns in the book. I now have hundreds and hundreds of flies boxes and boxes of tying materials. You start to look at everything from a different perspective. My wife sees chrismas decorations and I see crystal flash the kids think they got a pet rabit I got an endless supply of dubbing fur from the comb, You go to wildlife parks and collect feathers. It begins to posses your every thought then you think I wonder if I could make a fly to catch this and that fish..........NNNNNOooooooo

I think I need to go to the garage and tie a shrimp pattern that might work as well as a Hawg... mmmm let me think black rubber thread from busted occy strap for legs, some chenile thread, some of that glitter hair from my daughters new barbie doll... ...

Cheers

Trev

G'day Alex,

Sounds like you have the potential to get hooked,

If I was you Ild look at a 7 wt to start off with its a good all round weight that you can keep rigged in the boat to have a lash at bream and flatties ( probably alitlle heavy for them but particularly for bream sometimes you need to put the stick on them quickly near racks and pylons.) about ideal for salmon and larger tailor and will do the job if you have plenty of backing for bonito and frigates and small kings in open water.

As the others have said line and rod are the keys, buy the best you can afford. Reel anything as long as it will stand the salt. As far as line goes get an clear intermediate forward taper. They are a litlle harder to cast on the water but are probably the most useful line in Salt water. Do all your initial learning to cast on the grass at a park will make life easier. Because the line sinks (albeit slowly) its harder to pick up into the back cast and will sometimes raquire an inital roll cast to get it near the surface before the pick up, you dont need to worry about this on grass.

Check your PMs for more

Regards POGO

Alexit for this month we have 50% off all strudwick fly rods at the Australian Bass Angler there are some great specials there come in and take a look or come to the fishing and four wheel drive show at Homebush and have a look there

You should be able to get what you are after for a really good price.

Cheers Mick

Guest bluecod
Yer you will find most tackle shops are now selling fly rods, reels, and line at 50% off, just head to your closest one.

With such a good discount im even thinking of picking one up. :thumbup:

50315[/snapback]

Well my local one isn't into big discounts so a trip out to ABA could be on the cards. There's the lighter weight range I haven't got covered ....... yet! :1naughty:

Snag i dont know where you got that info from but that is so far from the truth its not funny not all fly is 50% off just strudwick fly rods ??????

IF YOU SOLD ALL THE FLY GEAR AT 50% OFF YOU WOULD GO BACKWARDS :tease::tease::tease: MUST BE A FULL MOON

Cheers Mick

Edited by mick r

Hey Alex,

as said last week, I reckon a nice 7 wt is the go, will cover most fish until you get the hang of it and then start expanding your arsenal. You know I have a Strudwick 6/7 wt and Iv'e caught everything from mullet, bass, bream, and salmon et al on it. struddies are a great rod and if ABA has them at 50%, that would be a good starting spot, wouldnt mind getting there and buying a new outfit myself, just that the tinny took all my finances for the next 10 yrs, be tying flies out of pillow cushions for a while yet.

Good rod, good line (floater for starters) and average reel will do, as most Raiders have suggested above.

First a big thanks to everyone who has offered advice here. :thumbup: It was all taken on board and though I often felt a deep headache starting I kept at it and digested all. Note that I said digested...not understood! :badair:

Well I just got back from aba with lots of goodies and a slighly blown budget...but I had a feeling that would be the case.

Tony led me through and offered lots of info....nice one mate :thumbup:

Ended up with a Strudwick Riverstone 7# 9' 3 piece, a cheepie reel and Cortland WF7 floating line. Feels like a nice combo to start on thats for sure.

Add to that the backing, few flies, hawgs, sx-40 and other bits and the mastercard boys start to love me again.... :risata:

Again thanks all and thanks aba....now where are those waders...

alex