colourful drummer?

tide'n'knots

Question

Hi guys while I was at the entrance social on the weekend, i caught a fish from near the rocks at towoon bay. At first I thought I had landed a drummer or rock blackfish but upon closer inspection in the dark i realised that this fish was coloured more like a coral trout - pink and green flecks all over including the fins on a dark green/grey background. It had pink lines around the eyes also. If it was black you would amost swear it was a drummer.Unfortunately like a fool I went to wash the sand from the fish to have a better look, thinking I had a good grip in the gills, but as soon as the fish hit the water it kicked and escaped!!GRRR! so consequently no photos.Does anyone have an idea as to what this fish may have been? I have never seen one before and it really has me stumped.

pete.

14 answers to this question

sorry guys Ive caught heaps of groper over the years and this was definately not a groper! It was vertually a drummer that was colourful, so I am thinking something in the same family with pink and green speckles.

The other thing is that this wasnt a juvinile fish it was getting up around the 3lb mark and very solid.

If someone can find a picture in a book somewhere that would be great.

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

thanks guys, I am pretty sure that it was a bluefish however the one I caught was more olive green and not bright blue although it was at night so that could explain the different colouration.It was identical in shape and looks however mine had spots on the fins also. Lucky it escaped as they are protected!!

pete.

Edited by tide'n'knots

Attached is photo of Bluefish I caught on Lord Howe Island, maybe it can help shed some light on your mystery fish, my understanding is they are extremely rare on Aussie mainland. Also they vary in colour from vivid blue to varying shades of green.

post-17832-005629700 1306633514_thumb.jpg

Attached is photo of Bluefish I caught on Lord Howe Island, maybe it can help shed some light on your mystery fish, my understanding is they are extremely rare on Aussie mainland. Also they vary in colour from vivid blue to varying shades of green.

My memory of the fish is a little vague now but looking at your photo I am not totally convinced, Your photo looks more like a silver drummer.It was very similar but the tail was broader more like a rock blackfish, and there appeared to be pink and blue flecks through the fish even on the fins - serves me right for being an idiot and not washing it in a rockpool!! maybe I will never know for sure.

pete

Edited by tide'n'knots

sometimes fish sport different colours at night and day and thus can appear a different species, as an example a fish i worked with in the med, the dentex, looks like this in the day

post-19135-099865500 1311658366_thumb.jpg

and the very same fish looks like this at night

post-19135-036217500 1311658378_thumb.jpg

im not an expert on the black rockfsh but it could be a case if diurnal fluctuation in colour, which occurs in many fish many of which you would never know.

Gilbey