Trailer Upgrade

Bleeding Green

So I've finally got around to having the canopy replaced with a nice black bimini (I'need to update the photo of the boat on the avatar).

Two things left: The floor which I mentioned in another thread, and the trailer.

The boat currently sits on a dunbier/quintrex trailer which is in good conidition. Problem is, the plate states a GVM of 700KG's, which doesn't leave any room for gear (trailer 140kg, Hull 400kg, Motor 80kg, then fittings and fuel etc and there's my 700kg). On longer trips, such as camping trips, I need to put some stuff in the boat so I am exceeding the 700kg's. On top of that it's not braked so I shouldn't go over 750kg's anyway but I'd be doing that too. I really don't want to be over legal weights for obvious reasons so I need to attend to this issue as a matter of urgency ($$ pending)

The question: Should I get brakes fitted to this trailer and would this then mean the GVM could be upgraded, Or, should I buy a heavier duty trailer with brakes already installed and a GVM of around 1.1/1.2 tonnes? The boat is 16ft, so what would I be looking at for the cost of a new trailer?

Thoughts?

So I've finally got around to having the canopy replaced with a nice black bimini (I'need to update the photo of the boat on the avatar).

Two things left: The floor which I mentioned in another thread, and the trailer.

The boat currently sits on a dunbier/quintrex trailer which is in good conidition. Problem is, the plate states a GVM of 700KG's, which doesn't leave any room for gear (trailer 140kg, Hull 400kg, Motor 80kg, then fittings and fuel etc and there's my 700kg). On longer trips, such as camping trips, I need to put some stuff in the boat so I am exceeding the 700kg's. On top of that it's not braked so I shouldn't go over 750kg's anyway but I'd be doing that too. I really don't want to be over legal weights for obvious reasons so I need to attend to this issue as a matter of urgency ($ pending)

The question: Should I get brakes fitted to this trailer and would this then mean the GVM could be upgraded, Or, should I buy a heavier duty trailer with brakes already installed and a GVM of around 1.1/1.2 tonnes? The boat is 16ft, so what would I be looking at for the cost of a new trailer?

Thoughts?

iF YOU WOULD LIKE TO INQUIRE ABOUT A NEW TRAILOR OR WEIGHT SPECS CONTACt - pm me(cant mention the company - there not a site sponsor) , just got mine from there and ther were competitive in price and the service was great.

Twin 1

Edited by twin1
business plugging removed, please PM details twin1.

Yep it's on the plate on the boat. 380kg to be precise. I'll double check it though when I take the cover off.

A quick search and boatpoint reviews say the the 2009 quinnie 470 top ender weighs 403kgs, so my 380 sounds right.

Maybe this figure includes the engine but I don't think so. It's says 'hull' weight. Th ething that seems odd is the review I mentioned above says the boat weighs 403, max. engine weigth is 157kg, max. people is 5 (max. 370kg) but the overall weight including all of the above cannot exceed 607kg. Hull and engine could weigh 560kg, so that only leaves room for one person?? Odd.