Need help catching my first Kingy

Big Berg

Hi Fellow Raiders,

I have been fishing a few years now and I am still to catch my first King Fish. I have been fishing everywhere (north and south) to try and catch one of these buggers but still no luck...not even a rat king.

I want to catch one of these buggers before its too late . All I end up catching are Macs, Bonitos and Salmon.

Can any of you please give me some pointers and advise on where to go, what bait and what rig would give me the best chance of landing one.

I am strickly land based coz I don't have a boat, but I am willing to drive for hours to fish.

I was also talking to one of the guys at the tackle shop and he told me to send out a live Bonito or Mac under a balloon next time I catch one.

Would a Kingy smash one of these or are they simply too big?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Brian

Hi Fellow Raiders,

I have been fishing a few years now and I am still to catch my first King Fish. I have been fishing everywhere (north and south) to try and catch one of these buggers but still no luck...not even a rat king.

I want to catch one of these buggers before its too late . All I end up catching are Macs, Bonitos and Salmon.

Can any of you please give me some pointers and advise on where to go, what bait and what rig would give me the best chance of landing one.

I am strickly land based coz I don't have a boat, but I am willing to drive for hours to fish.

I was also talking to one of the guys at the tackle shop and he told me to send out a live Bonito or Mac under a balloon next time I catch one.

Would a Kingy smash one of these or are they simply too big?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Brian

hey mate i been chasing these kings for about a year now...sometimes its just the chance of them being on or off espeically on landbase...but the best baits i have ever caught them on is live cuttlefish, live squid, and live yakka, even dead cuttlefish and squid work a treat....but i have personally caught 80% of my kingies on cuttlefish... and also its about you setup your rig...

hey mate i been chasing these kings for about a year now...sometimes its just the chance of them being on or off espeically on landbase...but the best baits i have ever caught them on is live cuttlefish, live squid, and live yakka, even dead cuttlefish and squid work a treat....but i have personally caught 80% of my kingies on cuttlefish... and also its about you setup your rig...

Thanks Sleek3

I usually use a 12 foot rod with 30 pound mono. I have tried dead squid, live yakkas and whole pillies under a float and still no luck. For the dead bait I usuall use 2 snelled 4/0 hooks (depending on the size of the bait) or gang hooks (but I'm starting to shy away from this as I have found the 2 hook rig has a better hook up rate)

What is the best way to hook the cuttlefish or squid to keep them alive?

cheers

Kings are smarter than some people iv met, so you've got to be at your craftiest or just plain lucky....

Do you use a fluorocarbon leader?

That could be the difference between catching and not catching....

Yeah im currently using 40lb Black Magic flurocarbon leader (usually 1-2m length)

Yeah im currently using 40lb Black Magic flurocarbon leader (usually 1-2m length)

my setup is a bit big but it works here is just an idea on what i use

12ft topaz rod

penn 850ssm reel

65pnd powerpro braid

80pnd penn 10x leader

size 5 triangle sinker

ball bearing swivels

gamagatsu 5/0 octupus circle hooks i use snell and one hook setup depending on size of bait

my setup kinda looks like this

http://img850.imageshack.us/i/setup.png/

Thanks Sleek3

I usually use a 12 foot rod with 30 pound mono. I have tried dead squid, live yakkas and whole pillies under a float and still no luck. For the dead bait I usuall use 2 snelled 4/0 hooks (depending on the size of the bait) or gang hooks (but I'm starting to shy away from this as I have found the 2 hook rig has a better hook up rate)

What is the best way to hook the cuttlefish or squid to keep them alive?

cheers

with live cuttle fish and squid if they are small just one hook at the top of the hood and if they are big one hook at the top and bottom of the hood....gets a bit tricky just dont get bit by the cuttle fish it hurts like hell im speaking from experiance..it cost me three stiches

with live cuttle fish and squid if they are small just one hook at the top of the hood and if they are big one hook at the top and bottom of the hood....gets a bit tricky just dont get bit by the cuttle fish it hurts like hell im speaking from experiance..it cost me three stiches

OUCH!!! so when you put the hooks through the hood do you pierce both sides or just go in and out of the one side?

thanks sleek3

not being a landbased fisho i do recall a few times having luck whilest fishing for surgeon fish when i was fishing the piers in the city.. caught a few kings from there using live yakka's and live squid just on day light

set up was 12ft rod

6500 baitrunner

50lb mono

80lb leader with a small float only need to cast 10m away from the piers

hope this gives u another option!

OUCH!!! so when you put the hooks through the hood do you pierce both sides or just go in and out of the one side?

thanks sleek3

the one on the top of the hood i try to get through the bone and to the other side...the one on the bottom i just pierce the hood in and out....just dont let the dang thing slip and turn over to bite you....i got bit on the right side of my knuckle on my right hand index finger....i still have the scar...