Night Fishing

Sido

Hi All on this miserable Saturday,

I am planning on doing some night fishing in the boat in the Georges River and have a couple of questions:

1. Outside of the nav lights and anchor lights which I have what do you suggest as a light to have on deck (Bowrider Quintrex 5.6 metre) - can you buy battery operated led lights that can hang off the bimini?

2. When you get home how do you flush the motor so as to not wake up the neighbours or wait until next morning but is this too late - I have a Mercury Optimax 115?

Thanks

Sido

yes you can buy led battery lights from the bigger boating stores that will suit what your looking for.and flushing your motor in the morning is not ideal but will be ok i think just run it for a bit longer and maybe use a salt flushing product you can purchase at most boating places cheers dunc333

Just stay out all night and flush it when you get home in the morning... more fish and you wont pester the neighbours. as for your lights, an led light will run off a smaller battery if you want it separate from the starting battery however, they draw a low current so unless you are going out for days you wont have any dramas. i have a 30 glode led as well as the nav lights, radio, and portable tv & dvd all running off the starting battery for a nights fishing and not once have i had a problem. for the record the nav lights stay on all night until daylight and the radio too if i am still awake. just keep your main battery in tip top shape with regular charging and you wont have any problems. my battery is over 5 years old now and i always charge it the night before heading out with the kids for a night fish.

cheers

I bought some 24 led battery operated lights that hang from stuff for just a few dollars at a $2 shop. Bought them for the tent but they hang off the bimini with a bit of fishing line fine.

Also put a couple of 1 metre LED strip lights under the gunnels for around $30 each too :)

Guest Aussie007

some of those clamp on lights arnt waterproof mine wernt the white light rusted out if your anchored u only need 1 360 degree white light it needs to be visible so if u have it off the back side and parts of the boat block the light just run your nav lights as well that is how my boat is wired up i think the maritime would rather u have all lights on than just the anchor light and not be visible from all directions im yet to see a boat with a 3m light pole on the back to be seen 360 degrees lol

We had a 540 Quinnie bowrider, and the original socket in the gunnels for the all round light rotted out. We fitted a rod arch and I ran the cables up the tubing and mounted the all round light on that, 360 visibility with no issues, you could do the same on a bimini. Our current boat has a hardtop with the light mounted on that.

On the odd occasion we are out and the sun isn't up we have a selection of cheap battery powered led lights we use for illumination. Still have to get to the under the gunnels illumination yet.