Macquarie River

muscle_17

Gday fellas,

my mate rang me and told me that we are going macquarie river this long weekend to fish the freshwater. (think its near bathurst)

Has anyone had experiance in this river system?

if so, can somone please give me some tips, type of fish that are in the system, and what lures are good..

i heard there are 1 kg rainbows in there, and they like tasmanian devils.

Thanks Fisho's :thumbup:

The Macquarie runs almost from the blue mountains East of Bathurst to the Darling River near Bourke. I am aware of several types of fish depending on where you are including redfin, carp, catfish, cod, yellow belly.

Find out where you will be camping and I'm sure someone on this site will have some knowledge re fishing.

Cheers

Michael

I lived in the area for many years and have fished the Macquarie and lots of its tributaries. As Michael said, find out where you will be camping then get back to us. Trout are the main species in the upper reaches with cod, yellowbelly, etc from the forge downstream. If you are fishing the bigger water Tassie Devils should be

good. If you are fishing small feeder streams you need small lures like celtas.

The drought has decimated the trout population but they can still be found in numbers in spring fed feeder streams if you can put the legwork in to find them.

Dacobra,

i just spoke to me mate, he said the place we are going is called the Bridal Track, it is near the intersection of Macquarie and Turon Rivers.

Hopefully the detail he has givin is correct.

In case this helps... we are going to be camping on camping grounds ( i think where lots of others camp etc )

Hope you can help.

Thanks Mate! :1clap::thumbup:

Muscle - I wont be of much help as its been 7 years since I visited the Bridal Track. Can remember chucking number 3 celtas around some of the big pools and getting a few rainbows. Before the drought there was a lot of water mixed up with the fish. I dont know what its like there now but water levels will probably be low. Hopefully you can find some good holes where your Tassie Devils can get a run. Even if the fish are scarce you will see heaps of great scenery! Lots of good camping spots as well. Dont forget to pack plenty of warm undies, and good fishing!

Edited by dacobra