Port Hacking

Yowie

Started at first light out from Lilli Pilli. 40cm tailor on the first cast, not another tailor bite after that. Picked up 3 trevally after a while plus a bream and a fair sized crab that grabbed a pillie when it hit the bottom. Apart from that, not much else, so I pumped a few nippers at Mainbar and drifted back towards Lilli Pilli for 2 whiting to 34cm. The flats at Lilli Pilli were almost empty, compared to the amount of fish a month or 2 ago.

Moved to a couple of other places for another trevally, and back to Mainbar for a 58cm longtom, which put up a fight as it tail walked across the surface a couple of times. Tried to bite me a few times with it's long pointy teeth.

Yowie.

I have heard of reports of watsons bonito schools around the hacking at the moment. A colleague of mine caught a number of gymea on the weekend... you didnt get into any of them?

Didn't go up that far. There were a few frigates buzzing around Lilli Pilli early on. Threw a lure at them for no interest.

The boys at the bait shop at Sylvania Heights told me there are a few tailor on the troll around Gymea Bay, and someone fishing at Wanda Beach early in the week picked up a couple of 3 to 4 pound tailor.

Filleted the long tom and pan fried them last night. Tastes similar to garfish, but would prefer garfish instead. Just like an oversized garfish, except with teeth and attitude.

Edited by yowie

Those Long Tom are amazing. I caught a few at the hot water outlet on Tuesday. Are they any good to eat?

Tasted O.K. to me, produced a couple of long fillets. Cut out the larger rib bones, however, there are also many smaller bones that run beside the top of the rib bones to the skin. Pan fried the fillets to slightly crispy and just crunched up the smaller bones, hardly noticed them though many people would be put off by the bones.

Yowie.