Replacing Boat Trailer

Bleeding Green

Hi, I've been looking into having brakes installed on my trailer which would enable me to carry more wieght. Another option would be to replace the trailer to one with brakes already fitted. Seems like an easier option but if I go second hand (which would be much cheaper) what do I need to look for in regards to trailer design/set up?

I have a 4.80m alu hull boat. The current and original dunbier/quintrex trailer is a straight forward design with rollers in the middle and skids to the sides. Would another trailer design work? Is it just a matter of adjusting all the rollers on the new trailer to work in with my boat? There are plenty of differant options, and if I look for a heavier duty trailer, meaning it can carrier a bigger load they generally look more complex in terms of rollers etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi, I've been looking into having brakes installed on my trailer which would enable me to carry more wieght. Another option would be to replace the trailer to one with brakes already fitted. Seems like an easier option but if I go second hand (which would be much cheaper) what do I need to look for in regards to trailer design/set up?

I have a 4.80m alu hull boat. The current and original dunbier/quintrex trailer is a straight forward design with rollers in the middle and skids to the sides. Would another trailer design work? Is it just a matter of adjusting all the rollers on the new trailer to work in with my boat? There are plenty of differant options, and if I look for a heavier duty trailer, meaning it can carrier a bigger load they generally look more complex in terms of rollers etc.

check your PM BOX.

mARCEL

I wouldn't try another design, eg a multi roller trailer. These are suited to plate alloy and fiberglass boats and could warp the hull of a pressed alloy boat like yours. Second hand trailers are hard to find and you could just be buying someone elses trouble (esp rust). It is not difficult or expensive to conver your trailer to brakes.

You may have to look into fitting new axles, springs, towing hitch and wheels. I have been down this path before and if I had my time again I would just buy a new trailer. There was one problem after another. Take 1 step forward and 2 backwards. When it comes to rego'ing the trailer with the increased capacity it will be stamped "homemade", yr of build will be that date and new numbers will be issued . When I went though this everyone looks at you like you stole the trailer and want to rebirth it which is a pain in the backside because they don't want to touch it...until the orginial recpeits are shown so make sure you taken them if you go ahead with it.

Edited by Whaler 255

alot less stressful to tradein your old 1 for a new braked trailer ,if you do a price comparison can you let us know what the difference is it would be much appreciated to know how the $'s stackup cheers dunc333

You may have to look into fitting new axles, springs, towing hitch and wheels. I have been down this path before and if I had my time again I would just buy a new trailer. There was one problem after another. Take 1 step forward and 2 backwards. When it comes to rego'ing the trailer with the increased capacity it will be stamped "homemade", yr of build will be that date and new numbers will be issued . When I went though this everyone looks at you like you stole the trailer and want to rebirth it which is a pain in the backside because they don't want to touch it...until the orginial recpeits are shown so make sure you taken them if you go ahead with it.

Just to confirm, you are talking about having brakes added?

This is what I was afraid of with the brakes. Also, if the trailer is only rated to 700kg then how can having brakes increase the strength of the trailer?

I think it is easier to buy one with brakes fitted but the cost of a new one will hold me back. That's why I'm considering second hand.

This is what I was afraid of with the brakes. Also, if the trailer is only rated to 700kg then how can having brakes increase the strength of the trailer?

I think it is easier to buy one with brakes fitted but the cost of a new one will hold me back. That's why I'm considering second hand.

It depends on if the other components and what they are rated too. How many leafs are in the spring pack what thickness the axles are. whats the towing coupling is rated too.

I went from 3T to 3.5T. I had to replace axles, springs, brakes, towing coupling, wheel arches, tyres, wheels plus the hundred odd hours of changing it over to find out it the brakes calipers were not going to clear the frame and with the new springs the tyres where going to rub on the aft edge of the gaurd because the springs where longer which cost me another couple of hundred hours to fix all that and now that all the work is done I have to sell the boat and trailer.

Go to your local boat dealer and ask what a trade in is going to cost you.

Edited by Whaler 255

Its not a major hassle to add brakes, just do research first, go and talk to trailer builders and suppliers,carosel trailers at Girraween will have all info. if your trailer is in good condition than it ill be alot cheaper to retrofit brakes instead of buying new trailer. a lot of problems are caused from not spending the time getting all info first

A Dumbier trailer should be fine strength wise.Trailers are often rated to the minimum possible weight to save on rego costs,it often the same trailer that can carry twice the weight just a different number stamped on the VIN plate, you current trailer is probably fine,just ask the trailer mob the cost of brakes,VIN plate,blue slip and your good to go.

A Dumbier trailer should be fine strength wise.Trailers are often rated to the minimum possible weight to save on rego costs,it often the same trailer that can carry twice the weight just a different number stamped on the VIN plate, you current trailer is probably fine,just ask the trailer mob the cost of brakes,VIN plate,blue slip and your good to go.

The current tyres are only rated to 350kg. So that's inline with the 700GVM on the build plate. I'd need to replace them to increase the weight limit and possibly the rims too (where do I find the rating for them). Where do you go to get tyres such as these?

The current tyres are only rated to 350kg. So that's inline with the 700GVM on the build plate. I'd need to replace them to increase the weight limit and possibly the rims too (where do I find the rating for them). Where do you go to get tyres such as these?

Just repeating what I was told, my 5 stud wheels where rated up 750kgs each so 1500kg for that axle. not 100% sure though. Any tyre shop will have higher rated tyres and the right size.

What thickness is your axle and is it round or square?

How many leafs are in each leaf pack?

I have spare trailer parts(everything)avaiable if needed just pm me.

Edited by Whaler 255