Spin Rod For Kings

Blood Knot

Hi all -

Looking for some advice on a spin rod for casting stickbaits/sluggos for Kings. Figuring on using braid about 6kg.

Currently looking at either a Bronzeback SMR913S (7'7" 10 to 17lb) or Nitro Magnum Butt (7'6"). Theres a good $150 or so difference in the price. Has any body out there used either and could give a bit of feed back on their performance & suitability or perhaps suggest an alternative (a Shearwater ?)

Will probably use with a 2500 series reel. Have a 3000 series Spheros but may buy a new Diawa or Shimano. May be a Sustain (Certates a bit rich for my blood). welcome any suggestions on this point as well.

John

Guest Jocool
Hi all -

Looking for some advice on a spin rod for casting stickbaits/sluggos for Kings. Figuring on using braid about 6kg.

50086[/snapback]

I'm in the process of putting the exact same outfit together. :thumbup:

The rods I have seen have been from the Strudwick stable. Not sure of the model numbers, but one was a Sof Bodz Pro which I thought was a tad exy. The other one that got shortlisted was the Sik Stik in the 6-8KG range. The Berkley Dropshot was looking good at one stage.

The reel I originally wanted to use with it was a Spheros in the 5000 size, but I ended up with a Okuma Eclipz EZ50. Good reel but a bit heavy. The reel that I like is the Capricorn 4500-J. Its a light Jigging reel with an upgraded drag apparently.

I'm actually waiting till I have readdies in hand before giving AG at Shearwater a call! :biggrin2:

Custom all the way. But then again I tend to reccomend custom rods because I save a bit and build them myself. I reckon if you're gonna spend more than say $200 on such a rod, then you are best off going all the way and getting a custom job. There are some really good blanks around that suit that style of fishing very well.

Thanks Joe -

I have looked at Strudwicks too - problem for me is that I cant seem to get all the likely contenders together in one tackle shop at the same time. The bronzeback & 2500 certate combo was recommended too me. But is probably a bit extravagant, no matter how many times I would like to think, that I will be allowed out on the water.

Re: your mention of 4000 size reel - Originally thought a 2000 - 2500 size reel might be a bit small but guess its about drag performance more than line capacity.

Anyway reckon I would be pretty lucky to get a Kingy out of Sydney Harbour much bigger than 70cms anyway.

John

Guest bluecod
Anyway reckon I would be pretty lucky to get a Kingy out of Sydney Harbour much bigger than 70cms anyway.

John

50090[/snapback]

Yeah! All the little ones in the harbour get eaten by the big ones - they're so beefed up by the good tucker you don't get a chance to pull them out :risata:

The big ones are there, they also hang out in the Pittwater!

G'day Bloodknot,

I've got the nitro 7'6 Magnum Butt fitted with a Sustain 4000 strung with 7kg Squidgy braid and it is a well balanced outfit, can cast unweighted sluggos a mile and slug type lures out ofsight. light but stiff in the tip and plenty of low down grunt. Very happy with the outfit, havent caught kingies on it yet but have got dollies to 4 kg and salmon to 3kg on it.

I reckon that a 2500 might be on the small side to balance with the rod, ive got a 2500 on a nitro 7'6 distance spin which is a much lighter rod and it works well.

regards POGO

Guest Jocool
Re: your mention of 4000 size reel - Originally thought a 2000 - 2500 size reel might be a bit small but guess its about drag performance more than line capacity.

50090[/snapback]

John...The 4000 size reels in the Shimano range are about the same size as the 2500-3000 in the Daiwa Range. I have a Daiwa 1500, and a Shimano 2500 and they are virtually the same size!

G'day John

I contacted Shearwater when I was looking for the same thing and he gave me a very reasonable quote and also made some excellent suggestions as he is an experienced king fisherman. I actually ended going with a GLX rod designed for sluggo's etc as ABA gave me a great deal but shearwater was next on the list and around half the price. I ended up putting more money towards the rod than reel as I reckon a 4000 stradic is enough to do the job. 2500 size diawa may be ok as they have a good drag but I don't recommend a 2500 shimano (which I have a few of). I went with a 4000 because I could hold more capacity of 10-20lb line to put some real hurt on the kings. Here's a few pic's of my combo which would come in a few hundred cheaper than the bronzeback/certate combo but still probably overly expensive, you could get away with an excellent combo for under $500. Have landed a few kings on this rig up to 67cm and it performed outstandingly. I am not a fan of overly long rods for throwing sluggo's especially 9" versions as the tip sags too much.

post-114-1117681241_thumb.jpg

post-114-1117681336_thumb.jpg