Starting Outboard

mazin1978

Hi guys,

I recently bought my first boat, i started the outboard (suzuki DT28) for the first time in about a month. Put the muffs on and started it up, ran fine but there was no water coming out of the pee hole? I only ran it for around 10 seconds at a time, do i need to run it longer for the thermostat to open and then the water will start coming out?

Cheers

There are a few things you could do/try mate..

Try running it for a minute, if no water comes out switch it off and ..

- Check to make sure all tap connections ain't leaking, and that the muffs are tightly on the outboard.

- Check to see if the telltale (pee hole haha) is blocked, get a piece of fishing line that fits in the hole and push it though, it could be full of sand or something.

- If they both fail more likey then not your waterpump is gone, you can replace it yourself or get someone to do it, i don't think there that costly.

But mate, honestly if it hasn't been used in a month, more likey then not just run it abit longer and the water should come out

Cheers

Really LOL'ed at the Pee Hole. :)

Oops, should add something constructive shouldn't I?

I had an outboard that hadn't been run for 12mths at least, hooked up the fuel and she started up first go (gotta love it!) however had the same problem with no water from the pee hole so used a stick to unblock the dirt and stuff from the pee hole and started flowing. Give it a go and give it another minute.

Edited by wonniefisho

Didn't know the correct term and found pee hole on another website :074: :074:

Don't think there was any leaks or anything? Ill try and unblock it and run it for abit longer next time i start it.

How long can it been running before it can overheat and cause damage?

mate water should also come out of exaust plate above prop or through the middle of prop itself check the flow there and if water is flowing through then your engine should be cooling,as said before use wipper snipper cord and push through telltale.if water is coming through the exaust then should be ok to run,while you find the prob with telltale

I can't remember if water was coming out near the prop. Ill run at again on the weekend, ill run it with a bucket aswell to see if that makes a difference.

This is almost exactly the same as my outboard. Is the telltale the one spitting out water?? All i got from there was air.

yeah mate with that size motor id say that is where all the water comes out from if it aint coming out there in 1min of operation turn it off.can you put muffs on that motor? guessing you cant.if so to test your cooling system pull thermostat out and put garden hose to opening and see where water comes out ,it should come out the water pickup vents above prop and also from the telltale seen in video ,if so id say your impellor needs replacing and if you havent done this in the last 2years do it anyway.by memory i think some of those old suzis had the thermostat behind the head.sometimes you can snap bolts when removing the head so if i was you change your impellor first.cheers dunc333

Yea i started the motor with muffs. When i bought the boat the motor was in a big bucket with water and was pumping water fine. Ill try with the bucket again and if that still doesn't work ill change the impeller.

How hard is it to change the impeller on this style of motor? Ive got friends that can help with which have good mechanical knowledge.

not that hard to change but would advise you buy the workshop manual for it as it will pay for its self over and over why you own the boat.try the bucket again as sometimes muffs are incorrect fitting and let us know if it works my bet now is it will pump water. with the bucket.

Guest Aussie007

if u dont feel air coming out of the tell tail your pump isnt pumping and has more than likely broken veins if you can feel with your fingers air coming out of the tell tail or even see steam your pump is working but your muffs are not providing enough seal for the water to reach the impeller to than be pumped up into the power head some outboards just wont pump water using muffs so your best off using a bucket and fill the bucket above the cavitation plate this means the water pump impeller is submerged below the water or your problem could be u didnt have enough pressure from the hose when flushing outboards use full tap pressure on older engines and or replace your muffs the rubber can go hard and doesnt seal properly

Guest Aussie007

my 50hp evinrude refuses to pump water on muffs so i use a 200 litre pickle drum from a online auction site bought it for $12 local and cut the top off works a treat saves a crap load of water to instead of using the tap on full bore for 10mins it take 3-4mins to fill up the drum and u can run the engine for as long as u like

Edited by gazza

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought id update the thread, started the outboard again, still with muffs, this time with full tap pressure though. Pumped water great after about 5 seconds :thumbup: Might take it out next weekend if i can get my boat license sorted :thumbup:

Cheers for the help.

Guest Aussie007

Just thought id update the thread, started the outboard again, still with muffs, this time with full tap pressure though. Pumped water great after about 5 seconds :thumbup: Might take it out next weekend if i can get my boat license sorted :thumbup:

Cheers for the help.

if you have over a 5hp engine u need your boat registered if u do than your allowed to do up to 10 knots without a license that works out to 18kph this was on my last boat rego renewal notice but beware if u go over the 10knots u will be fined heavily

Guest Aussie007

if the boat has greater than a 5hp engine u need it registered

if u stay under 10 knots u dont need a license

if u go over 10 knots u need a license