impoundment barra set up

Breambucket

Hey guys im going on a spare of the moment trip with my old man up to lake monduran in a couple of weeks :biggrin2: so i was just after a little advice on gear.

As some of you might know i love fishing light :1prop: but i also know the limitations of such set ups especially with big fish and lots of snags and stuff so im going to take a couple of set ups with me.

I dare say most of the fishing will be done on slick rigs slow rolled and maybe some hard body action but im not too sure.

I was thinking of using 15-20lb powerpro braid with 20-30lb leader most likely being fc rock does this sound ok?

Reels i already have is 3x stradic 4000's, and might be getting a twinpower 4000 too

Rods so far are starlo pro 4-7kg 7ft, raider 2 mexican fire 4-7kg 7.1ft and another raider that i think is 5-8kg's and i will be looking into maybe a t curve 6-10kg set up but im still not sure

Im defiantly new to this sort of fishing so any input and feed back would be a real help

Cheers guys

Pete

Pete,I am very jealous of you!

Set up wise around the timber at monduran 20lb braid should be fine, but the leader should be 40lb upward (otherwise there could be a serious dent in your wallet!).

the 4000 sized reels are perfect, with the rods I use a 6-8kg boss rod and basscatcher uses a 6-10kg raider, the lighter rods would be alright out in the open on the lighter leader (the longer rod will decrease thrown hooks)use the heavier rods in the timber!

hope this helps, good luck and cant wait to read about it!

Go the Tcurve Barra stick, cheap and fits the bill perfectly.

30lb braid 50-80lb black magic.

Use a FG knot so you can cast the leader threw the guides or a short 40cm leader that never goes into the guides.

Last time I fished the lakes we fished slickrigs down the edges off windy points fast, like bonnie spinning speed. The bites were nuts, almost pulling rod out of hand on the take. It was a total reation bite and worked a treat!

It would be worth checking out the Boyne still. With all them Awoonga barra in there it could be still going off if the pros haven't got to them.

Greg

Pete,I am very jealous of you!

Set up wise around the timber at monduran 20lb braid should be fine, but the leader should be 40lb upward (otherwise there could be a serious dent in your wallet!).

the 4000 sized reels are perfect, with the rods I use a 6-8kg boss rod and basscatcher uses a 6-10kg raider, the lighter rods would be alright out in the open on the lighter leader (the longer rod will decrease thrown hooks)use the heavier rods in the timber!

hope this helps, good luck and cant wait to read about it!

Cheers mate it looks like the stuff i have will be up to the task :) im getting a lend of a boat up there im not sure just yet but it could actually be a skeeter :1yikes:

And dont worry ill do a runnimg report while im up there just for you :biggrin2:

4-7kg outfit run 20lb braid 40lb leader

6-8kg outfit run 30lb braid 60lb leader

6-10kg outfit run 30 or 50lb braid and 80lb leader

Use a leader that is abrasion resistant We used to use schneider mono

Thanks Andrew!

Ill deffently buy a few different leadders to take up with us i just have to try work out what knots we need to use... my cousins housban does tours up there so we will be goin out with him one day then explor ourself the rest of the time.

Are you fishing the harbour round comming up mate?

Go the Tcurve Barra stick, cheap and fits the bill perfectly.

30lb braid 50-80lb black magic.

Use a FG knot so you can cast the leader threw the guides or a short 40cm leader that never goes into the guides.

Last time I fished the lakes we fished slickrigs down the edges off windy points fast, like bonnie spinning speed. The bites were nuts, almost pulling rod out of hand on the take. It was a total reation bite and worked a treat!

It would be worth checking out the Boyne still. With all them Awoonga barra in there it could be still going off if the pros haven't got to them.

Greg

Cheers Greg!

Im looking into the t curve atm so it looks like ill be getting one next week.

Thats an interesting and exciting style your talking about you have got me even more excited!!!

What colours do you guys recomend in the slick rigs? i was even thinking or maybe 7inch jerkshads too

Pete

Nah cant fish the harbour round or Shoalhaven Daughter has rep netball carnivals

Tournie fishing will have to take a backseat for a while

Slickrigs in Dropbear and Garry Glitter are a start 110 and 130mm

evil minnow is one of our favorite colours and berkely hollowbelly's are rather nice aswell, nice action with a very slow roll

ill get all of them to try :) i was thinking the slik rigs in grunter too

should i also try hardbodys and surface lures like the squidgy boof froms ect ect?

Hi,

I went to proserpine two years ago and my outfit was a series one raider barra magnum rod, calcutta 400B with 50lb fireline and i used 60 - 80 lb shnider mono for a trace. So far between me and my mate this outfit has landed 3 barra being 113, 121 & 124 cm. If you fish the sticks then you need the heavier braid for the abrasion resitance of the trees and also the heavy drag from the calcutta reel. All the fish were caught on the rmg scorpions in 125 & 150 size so make sure you take some with you. Make sure you have a variety of different colour lures as one colour can work better on the day. Now i want to go barra fishing again, hope this helps.

Regards Daniel

Hi,

I went to proserpine two years ago and my outfit was a series one raider barra magnum rod, calcutta 400B with 50lb fireline and i used 60 - 80 lb shnider mono for a trace. So far between me and my mate this outfit has landed 3 barra being 113, 121 & 124 cm. If you fish the sticks then you need the heavier braid for the abrasion resitance of the trees and also the heavy drag from the calcutta reel. All the fish were caught on the rmg scorpions in 125 & 150 size so make sure you take some with you. Make sure you have a variety of different colour lures as one colour can work better on the day. Now i want to go barra fishing again, hope this helps.

Regards Daniel

cheers mate!

looks like ill settle for 30lb powerpro and black magic fluro between 40-80lb

now i got to work out what knots to use!!

pete

they are both my choice of surface lures for barra, love the action of the tango dancers but i dont know how successful the surface lures will be this time of year. shallow divers and smaller plastics are apparently taking most fish