Another Harbour Jew

Mr.KingSpooled

Hey Raiders,

Thought I would share with you guys my short session last night with a really good friend of mine.

So yesterday afternoon sitting at work, my mate Jimbo calls me and ask's if I have a spare mobile phone he can use temporarily because he lost his phone in the water on his last fishing trip. So I let him know I had an old nokia that he could use if he wanted to pick it up.

So he said ok well ill load my rods into the car as well and we can go for a fish !!

Yeah sounds good to me Jimbo, I already had some yakkas,pike,herring,pillies and a box of cali squid in the bait fridge waiting to go.

So I decided instead of leaving these awesome baits to perish in the freezer might as well use it to catch some proper fish.

So by about 4:15pm I arrive home to see my mate already at my house waiting to go for a flick.

As all my rods and gear was packed into my car from our trip to Port Macquarie, made it very easy to just transfer everything from car to car ! So grabbed the bait, loaded up some food n drinks and headed towards the harbour.

Traffic on the M5 looked bad from the start and ontop of that the rain started to fall and the wind decided to pick up, oh yay this trip looks to be real fun now. "What are you on about Jez, since when does rain,hail,storm,dust storm,tsunami etc stopped us from fishing before" stated my mate Jimbo, my reply "yeah we are stupid".

Anyways its ticking on 6pm and we arrive to our spot, to see not 1 other person there, the wind is being very pleasant now and the rain has basically stopped. Sweet, could the gods be on our side?

Ok first things first, rig up and get set.

So I rig up my jewy rod stick a slab of mullet fillet on a 2 hook snell rig and lobbed it out.

I strap my rod to the pole and got underway rigging up my bait rod with a yakka jig.

All ready to go now. So I berley up with some old pillies just infront of me and dropped my jig in that was baited up with a mixture of mullet and salted pillie. Sweet az 3 nice size yakkas on the first drop.

So I decided not to wait, pulled in my mullet fillet and swapped it for a very lively yakka.

Lobbed him back out 3 metres to the right of where I casted initially.

I then again let my bait sink then I got my drag set for bait running and put the rod in the holder.

Back to yakkas, by this time its about 7pm ish and nothing really. Got a few hits from some snapper/bream but nothing great.

7:15pm and as Im pulling a yakka out of the water to put in my aerated bucket I notice my rod tip going nuts.

My yakka on my rod is scared, whats he running from?

After about 5minutes of going absolutely nutz it stops. So now im thinkin ok has he been hit and now dead or is there just something big scaring the shit outta the yakkas.

I now figured ok this big fish aint coming back or I havent got a bait left, so i slowly retrieve in my yakka to see it was more lively then when i put it out. Hmmm very weird. Scared much?

So I lob him back out again another 3 metres to the right of the last cast. With the bail arm still open as to let my bait sink I notice my line coming off the spool fairly quick, :S HUH?

Have I hit a hole? Nah this is moving to fast. So I quickly flick over the bail ....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

"WOW THAT WAS SICK, JIM BA IM ON GET THE LINES OUTTER THE WATER" I screamed in excitement to my mate.

So he quickly scrambles the wharf to collect the other 3 rods in the water, now its just me, my gear and the fish ! Also my very helpful mate with my net.

So now im hooked to a nice fish who is still pulling drag on the lighter settings. So I up my drag just a little enough to put good pressure on the fish but still let him run if need be. ZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ another nice run. Fight carries on for another 2 minutes and finally Jim see's colour. Keep her steady bro, dont pull to hard she's almost in the net !! BOOOM !!! SHES IN !!! BOOOOOYAAAAAA!!!

High Fives all around!! The vibe is extatic around the wharf. And its only me and my mate. So now I quickly take some pix with my TD rod for scale and made a very clean humane kill.

As he is going to be tonights dinner. I decided to keep him as he wasnt overly too large of a specimen but neither to small the perfect size for 2-3 people which is all I need. I dont belive in freezing your catch, I belive in catching and eating within the next 2 days that way you can just fridge your fish. No deterioration and the freshest sweetest flesh !

So first good fish in the bag and we have only been on the water for just over an hour.

So by this time there isnt any yakkas left so I decided its time to catch a few more !

I berly up once again and drop my jig in.

Waiting..... Waiting......Waiting..... "Hey Jim what did you do to the yakkas bro, there scared shitless" I grinned.

Little taps here and there but no yakkas are actually jumping on the bait, seemed like they where scared.

So instead of using a live yakka I decided i would butterfly a dead yakka that had been hit by a squid as I couldnt seem to get any more yakkas.

So I lob him out on the complete opposite side to where i was casting previously and decided keep trying for yakkas.

After about 5 minutes my jewy rod gets hit twice. Hmm why isnt it sticking? Did I put a circle hook up the top or just a normal octopus ? Hmm im sure its a circle. Ok just wait and let him swallow it before I even pick up the rod.

Another hit... COME ON EAT THE FREAKEN BAIT!!! Another hit... ok this is ridiculous, what type of jew taste's his meal first ? Dies off once again and theres no more hits.

Hmm I knew the yakkas where scared of something. Then boom 2 more yakkas on the jig !

From this I came up with a theory that because the yakkas where back the pred's have gone!!!

So I pull in my jew rod to find about 3cm of tail left. No head. I knew I messed up just from the side of the bait, I didnt use a circle hook up top where the fish took the bait and thus making me miss the shot as I had no intentionns of striking...

GRRR I MISSED ANOTHER GOOD FISH.

Oh well all in all had a good 2 hour session with a good mate of mine. Ontop of that the view was spectacular, the air was clean crisp and still and the overall vibe of the trip was just amazing. Plus scored a decent jew which I havent measured yet, but it is scaled to my rod so Ill measure that this arvo when I get home. I would guess it was just a little over 60cm, also had a nice hit from a 2nd jew but he didnt stick, fussy bastard !

P.S: He never got the phone because I had accidentally left it at work, hence his whole trip out was pointless lol. But I got a jew :P

post-18263-036538400 1303946082_thumb.jpg

post-18263-034585800 1303946107_thumb.jpg

Cheers Raiders,

Hope you enjoyed the read

Jez

Jealous once again, man its killing me ive been having a dry spell, I guess its just my luck and lack of opportunity to fish.

Atleast the uni studies have paid off, I got a high distinction in once of my assignments which is a first for me.

Jealous once again, man its killing me ive been having a dry spell, I guess its just my luck and lack of opportunity to fish.

Atleast the uni studies have paid off, I got a high distinction in once of my assignments which is a first for me.

Ahh well done bro !! Lol plenty of time in the world to catch jews !! Well how much more uni you got? Still really really busy or nah ? Cause if not leave me a msg and we can go for a flick mate !!

Cheers,

jez

Good work on the jews brotha.i told ya,once u get ur 1st & workd out the prime times to chase em,ul cum up wif the goods,& thats wats seeming to happn.good stuf.so wen we gna hav our sesh bro?im stil waitn.lol.wat area did u fish?u can txt me the dtails if u dnt wnt to post here.keep in touch ok. Cheers johnny

Good work on the jews brotha.i told ya,once u get ur 1st & workd out the prime times to chase em,ul cum up wif the goods,& thats wats seeming to happn.good stuf.so wen we gna hav our sesh bro?im stil waitn.lol.wat area did u fish?u can txt me the dtails if u dnt wnt to post here.keep in touch ok. Cheers johnny

Yeah bro sending through now, lol i wanted to go again tonight but weather looking worse then yesterday !!

Nice result on the harbour jewfish Kingspooled. :thumbup: I can see you have doubts about using circle hooks on your jewfish rigs and it seems you are concerned about your hook up rate if using them. Circle hooks were definately not designed to suit the mouths of jewfish. Jewfish have a hollow cavity mouth and unless a solid spot is found where the turned barb can penetrate the corner of the mouth the weight of a decent size jewfish alone will pull the mouth flesh away from the hook and you'll have another type of what is known as a jewfish "spit out" to contend with. It's the angle of the turned barb of a circle hook that makes it too difficult to make the initial mouth penetration or otherwise which in the case of a jewfish you virtually get one go at to avoid a spit out. Try penetrating a squid strip for bait with the turned barb of a circle hook and you'll find you'll almost finish up with your elbow in your mouth just trying to turn the hook into a position where the barb will go thru the bait :biggrin2:

You certainly have gone a long way with your jewfishing since you joined Fishraider and asked the members for advice. Keep up the good work Kingspooled :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing more good results from you.

Keep up the friendship with my mate Johnny Doi and we'll get a Hawkesbury jewfish session going as soon as I have my hips replaced which is the next thing on the agenda to get me back out on the water

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

nice catch jez........where was my invite...lol.....jks........where was this one caught at....text me bro...

Yeah bro sending through now

Nice result on the harbour jewfish Kingspooled. :thumbup: I can see you have doubts about using circle hooks on your jewfish rigs and it seems you are concerned about your hook up rate if using them. Circle hooks were definately not designed to suit the mouths of jewfish. Jewfish have a hollow cavity mouth and unless a solid spot is found where the turned barb can penetrate the corner of the mouth the weight of a decent size jewfish alone will pull the mouth flesh away from the hook and you'll have another type of what is known as a jewfish bait spit out to condend with. Try penetrating a squid strip for bait with the turned barb of a circle hook and you'll find you'll almost finish up with your elbow in your mouth just trying to turn the hook into a position where the barb will go thru the bait :biggrin2:

You certainly have gone a long way with your jewfishing since you joined Fishraider and asked the members for advice. Keep up the good work Kingspooled :thumbup: Looking forward to seeing more good results from you.

Keep up the friendship with my mate Johnny Doi and we'll get a Hawkesbury jewfish session going as soon as I have my hips replaced which is the next thing on the agenda to get me back out on the water

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks gaffer !!

Considering when i first joined i asked all you guys for the help and advice. It has helped alot, thats why now I have some fish to show off to you guys. Yeah I do have a bit of an issue with circles, but hopefully in time I can rectify these things by simply changing small bits on my rig.

Yep me and Johnny hoping to organize a trip well soon for some jews. Hopefully you will be better then and we can all get out on the water. Be a better learning curve for me aswell, I can show you how the noobie does it and you guys can show me how the pro's do it aye :P

Dont worry ill get there one day.

Cheers again gaffer ur advice is infinite and always helpful.

See ya soon bud,

jez

Edited by Hodgey

Dont things come together a whole lot better when its random :thumbup:

Oh yeah, when you had no intentions of holding a rod in your hands for that arvo, and you end up with a nice jewy on da end of your rod some how ... its magic !

Very exiting report jez. I love reading it. Of course nice catch on jewie :)

I like writing reports hehe its half the fun of having caught a decent fish.

Thanks matey, glad you enjoyed it.

Jez

Edited by Hodgey

Just wondering which wharf did you fish off?

Where can i catch a jew in sydney harbour and can we eat them?

Isn't sydney water like dirty?

Mate there is place's all over the harbour which jew patrol. Its up to you where you feel comfortable fishing. Before I do any fishing I like to know that I can catch my bait first before I even bother. I caught this jewy near Greenwich and yes its clean water. Beautiful eating no dirty mud flavour or anything. But its up to you, if you feel our waters are too dirty to eat fish from then dont, but then why bother fishing them?

Hey Jez,

Great rap on the Jewie trip and really noce fish. You should become a fishing writer!!! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

Lol Pete, I wish someone would pay me to write reports on fishing trips would be an awesome job. Head out with who ever is fishing hardest and report there catch on here hehehe. But yeah dont think thats gonna happen !!!

Cheers,

jez

Edited by Mr.KingSpooled